Kalamata to Kissamos Ferry

Overland driving routes and ferries
YoMo2

Re: Kalamata to Kissamos Ferry

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 am

It's great fun to watch but you may then struggle to find a place to sit comfortably. If the boat is full, you need to get there early and stake a claim to some seats. But then one of you could watch the fun on the jetty as the boat leaves.... If you have a cabin, then no problem. I would definitely recommend a cabin if it's a night sailing.

Andrew

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:30 am

Yes definitely looking at a cabin so we can keep the dogs with us rather than lock them in kennels the older one would not forgive us if we did that , poor old Rocky has never got over the shock of being abandoned in a rescue centre from a previous owner , only time we put him in kennels since he was absolutely distraught thought he was being abandoned !! Literally peed himself when we came to pick him up two weeks later when we came to pick him up .
Having watched a u tube loading of the Ferry loading at Ancona from a lorry driver driving to Greece I am concious my reversing skills with a caravan isn't great so will need to get some practice in , only ever used ferries as a foot passenger in the past . So looking to spend some time on a car park with a friend who used to be a HGV driver .

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:50 am

Houmeri91 wrote:...So looking to spend some time on a car park with a friend who used to be a HGV driver .

Could you find a Greek friend who could yell at you loudly in Greek interspersed with blowing a whistle while you do it? It would make the practise more realistic. Also you probably need to practise getting it within the thickness of a coat of paint of an adjacent vehicle without wing mirrors as the guy "helping" you to park will undoubtedly fold them in long before you are in position.

Definitely worth getting a cabin. I sailed once from Bari to Igoumenitsa in the aircraft seats and that was a nightmare. I didn't have a booking and all cabins had gone.

Warwick

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Haha ,Yes saw that whistling and waving and shouting on the vid well can get the wife to practice her greek she is used to shouting at me ! You absolutely nailed it with that description! lol They certainly pack them in on board .

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 am

Thanks for all the advice and job done ferries booked! Will be going via Ancona to Patras and Piraeus to Heraklion as advised. The cunning plan to tow over an old caravan literally fell apart when the guy who was donating the caravan moved it on his drive and he was planning to take on holiday at Easter when the axle fell in half !!!!!
My brother in law a mechanic was going to check it over before we were going to take it but close shave . Having reviewed advice over reversing on the ferries with no mirrors ( greek man shouting and waving !)decided to ditch the trailer idea . Bought a back rack for the car fits on the the tow ball as an alternative , cheap as chips on ebay and will hold 500lb load . With the roof box and clear instructions to the missus that the kitchen sink remains in the UK should be enough for what we need essentials. If not what we saved on the ferries on cost of a caravan we can use Nomad.

Unfortunately long wait still September before we start out but couple of trips over on the before . Could do with getting away from the Beast from the East right now !

Return to “Overland to Crete & Ferries”