Firefox thinks I am Greek

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
johnincrete

Firefox thinks I am Greek

Postby johnincrete » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:42 pm

There must be some setting in Firefox that causes so many web sites accessed through it to be in Greek. This does not happen with Chrome so my system is OK. Is there any way I can download Firefox so that it does not screw things up!

Kilkis

Re: Firefox thinks I am Greek

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:30 pm

If you click on Tools and then Options a new tab should open showing various Firefox options. It should default to General. Scroll down the page a bit and you should see Language and below that "Choose your preferred language for displaying pages". Click on the Choose button and make sure English is selected as your preferred language.

There are a number of possible issues in addition to having the right preferred language selected. For example there are lots of variants of Google. I generally use google.co.uk but sometimes google.gr The former usually produces English language sites while the latter mainly produces Greek language site. Also some web pages detect your country from your IP address and default to the language of that country. It quite often happens with support pages and sometimes terms and conditions. There is not much you can do about that except spoof a UK IP address using a VPN. Big multi-national companies like Windows, Samsung, Apple etc seem particularly prone to doing this. Why they don't provide a button to change the language I have no idea since they have the same pages in many different languages available.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Kilkis wrote:...........For example there are lots of variants of Google. I generally use google.co.uk but sometimes google.gr The former usually produces English language sites..............
I used to have google.com as my prime search engine but switched to the UK version several years ago for the same reason as did Warwick. Also, in Language options in Firefox mine is set to English UK

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:11 am

Thanks Kilkis but why don't I get the problem with Chrome? I have never got a site in Greek using Chrome. The problems I have had with Firefox were mainly downloads of programs that I lost when the computer was reformatted to change back to Windows 7 from the ever-problematic Windows 10. I used the setup files that were originally downloaded onto my laptop where the resultant program was in English. Someone pointed out the setting in Control panel, languages and I changed it from Greek to UK, deleted the programs that were in Greek (not all of them), and reran the setups but still got the problem until I swapped from Firefox to Chrome and did it all yet again but with good results. Incidentally, I also deleted Firefox and used its setup program but the problem remained.

It's all very puzzling and much time has been wasted and I appear to have solved it by making Chrome my default browser and creating new bookmarks for my regularly used sites rather than use it facility to copy bookmarks.

Unless someone has any reason why I should not use it, I will stick to Chrome.

Yet again it is a case of Good Old Microsoft being "helpful".

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:28 am

I don't understand why the browser you use would in anyway affect downloaded programs that you installed. You are only using Firefox to get to the web page where the download exists. After that it is down to the provider of that program and in my experience most programs allow you to choose the language. Perhaps the installer has detected that you are in Greece, defaulted to Greek as the chosen language and you have simply clicked past that page without changing it.

Warwick

PS Never had a significant problem with Windows 10.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Kilkis wrote:PS Never had a significant problem with Windows 10.
Upgraded to Win 10 on the PC 6 months after release and it's caused no problems. I've had one irritant on the laptop. On one occasion I switched on, it booted quickly and almost instantly the update message appeared along with the usual admonition "Do not turn off your computer". It then spent about 3+ hours updating. Subsequently, I checked the update history and found two huge updates and several smaller ones. Since then I haven't left the laptop unused for eight months.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:41 pm

If that happened in November 2017 or some time after then it was possibly the "Fall Creator's Update - 1709", which was pretty much a complete installation. That could account for the long time spent updating.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:03 am

Precisely.

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:39 pm

We only have this problem in Microsoft Edge where, after any significant update, it starts (I presume) detecting our location via IP address and defaulting to Greek.

Our main problem is on a Win10 desktop which has English and Greek fonts installed and the default language set to British English. Usually (not always) when it restarts it defaults to the Greek font, which can get amusing when I know damn well that I entered the password correctly ;)

The laptop is also WIn10 and also has both fonts but sticks to English unless manually switched to Greek.

Bloody computers!

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:39 pm

GlennB wrote:We only have this problem in Microsoft Edge where, after any significant update, it starts (I presume) detecting our location via IP address and defaulting to Greek for certain web pages.

Our main problem is on a Win10 desktop which has English and Greek fonts installed and the default language set to British English. Usually (not always) when it restarts it defaults to the Greek font, which can get amusing when I know damn well that I entered the password correctly ;)

The laptop is also WIn10 and also has both fonts but sticks to English unless manually switched to Greek.

Bloody computers!

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”