Scrap Dealer near Sitia?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Flying Scot

Scrap Dealer near Sitia?

Postby Flying Scot » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi, I am looking for advice on where I can find a local scrap dealer. We live in Sitia and are looking to scrap our UK registered car. Thank you :D

Mixos

Re: Scrap Dealer near Sitia?

Postby Mixos » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:13 pm

Not sure if the guy actually deals in scrap cars, but his yard usually contains accident wrecks, so it might be worth a try. I think the man's name is Yannis and he speaks enough English to be understood. His yard is down the lane on the corner immediately next to the turnoff to the airport, opposite the large Shell filling station on the main road towards Ag Nik about 1 kilometre out of Sitia.

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:58 pm

We scrapped our car two years ago and some documentation was required - two official forms. One was a ΒΕΒΑΙΩΣΗ ΠΑΡΑΛΑΒΗΣ / Acknowledgement of Receipt and the other a ΠΙΣΤΟΠΟΙΗΤΙΚΟ ΚΑΤΑΣΤΡΟΦΗΣ / Certificate of Destruction.

My recollection's a bit hazy now but I think the Cert. of Destruction was issued by the Vehicle Licencing office before the car could be scrapped and that had to be given to an authorised scrap company. The driver of the low loader that collected the car had a portable copier and gave me a photocopy of the Ack. of Receipt for the vehicle, kept the original and took away the car. A couple of days later I received a copy of the 'Destruction' paper in the post from the scrap company. The scrap company had to submit both official forms to the licence office to confirm that the car had been crushed.
If it helps I can send you copies of the two forms if you let me have an e-mail address by PM.

The scrap company was pretty substantial and they may have an operation in the east. If you want to check they are Auto Recycle and Tel/Fax is 28210 65150.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:20 pm

The OP wants to scrap a UK registered car so that's probably not relevant Phil.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:25 am

You may be right, Jean, but who knows here? I could depend on whether anyone official knows of the car's being in Greece. We flew in and one of the first things we did was buy a car: it was more difficult getting rid of it 14 years later. If a local scrap dealer takes a vehicle for spares or plain scrap value without documentation (if needed) it becomes his problem.

Flying Scot

Postby Flying Scot » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:31 pm

Thank you ever so much for all the information, much appreciated. I telephoned the number you gave me fillipos and they put me in touch with
a dismantler in Heraklion. Thank you!

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:58 pm

Excellent. Glad to help.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:59 pm

I live out east , and the scrap guys come around every few months with a lorry with a HIAB and take scrap cars away . No paper work no problem ...just make sure you take the plates off and hand them in to the office in Sitia if it's a Greek car , if it's UK send the paper work to DVLC ...and keep the plates ....

Flying Scot

Postby Flying Scot » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Apologies, "Jeffstclair" for the late reply, only just seen your post. Thank you very much this, very useful to know.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:35 pm

The other thing ..if the car is drivable, in the lane on the farside of the Halkiadakis carpark in Sitia next door to Mimi and Micheali's car mechanics workshop there is a small scrapyard ....Hope this helps ...jeff

Flying Scot

Postby Flying Scot » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:27 pm

Ah, yes I know who/where you mean. Thank you very much!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:38 pm

Sorry Flying Scot ...I passed by there to day on my way out of town and it looks like they have moved on ....

Return to “General Discussion & News”