Car hire in UK

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
YoMo2

Car hire in UK

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Can anyone give me a fix on the latest requirements to hire a car in the UK please? They seem to keep adding new red tape every month....

Andrew

altohb

Re: Car hire in UK

Postby altohb » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:44 pm

https://www.budget.co.uk/TermsAndCondition is the link for Budget - I selected the option for Gatwick, as that's where I hire from normally. I imagine most car hire companies are pretty similar.

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:04 pm

This applies If your Licence is showing a British address: Credit card (will only accept the card you booked with and must be the main driver) Passport, Driving licence and Endorsement check code (valid for 21 days and free) from UK gov website here: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence if you do not obtain this the firm you rent off will obtain it but charge you a tenner! I tend to also take a bank statement that is less than 3 months old and has the same address as on my licence although I have never been asked for it once.
When booking a car always look for the amount of excess you would pay if you have an accident, I used Easirent last time through a broker and it was 1,500 quid! I didn't realise I had booked with that firm as you can usually find it to be around the 700 mark. It is expensive to purchase excess waiver at the counter (usually more than the hire of the car) so I have an annual online policy with icarinsurance which is cheap but you will have to make a claim from them if you do come a cropper.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:35 pm

scooby wrote:...I used Easirent last time through a broker and it was 1,500 quid! I didn't realise I had booked with that firm as you can usually find it to be around the 700 mark...

My experience is that, while the excess does vary from company to company. it has been steadily increasing every year with all companies. Originally I just used to accept the excess and, fortunately, never had to pay. A few years ago I decided it was getting quite high and, following Scooby's advice, which is not something I would normally contemplate, I took out annual excess insurance. The first car I hired had a puncture on the edge of the tread and the side-wall that necessitated fitting a new tyre and the excess insurance covered the cost, over £100.

I have booked directly with Easirent, because their office is on the edge of the Premier Inn car park at Stansted where I usually stay overnight if I have an early flight, and found them very good. The last car I hired from them had a small dent when I returned it that wasn't on their check sheet. The guy searched back through their computer records and found a report of the dent from an earlier hire so it wasn't my responsibility. I can't imagine many hire car companies going to that trouble.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:16 pm

I also have annual excess insurance through icarhire - haven't had to make a claim so far, but it is good to have. Annual policy around 40 euros.

Nb - I have a Greek licence, and have only ever been asked to produce the credit card I booked with, and my passport. I normally use Budget (as above), but have also booked Europcar via Easyjet, and the same applied.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:53 pm

I think it is pretty general for all UK hire car companies to only require licence, passport and credit card if you are driving on a non-UK licence. It's only UK licences where they ask for the DVLA reference to check points on the licence.

Many years ago when Easycar was a real rental business with its own fleet of cars, not just a booking site, they also used to ask for additional proof of address such as a bank statement. I've never had to provide that with any other company.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:03 am

My problem is that there is not much consistency in what they ask for, and there are certain things I can't comply with. eg. I can provide a credit card statement with an address that matches my UK driving licence, but not a utility bill. You all know where this is going.

Also, one site that said they would not accept a credit card statement for the card used for the booking!!!

Some sites also insist the name on the card must exactly match the name on the driving licence. Those of us who got licences and cards in the days before 9/11 did so without having to produce birth certificates etc. We just gave a name. Sometimes a shortened version or whatever.

I guess I'll just have to spend hours trawling through the fine print of every car hire company that might suit. And then get there and be asked for something completely different.....

Anyone, by some miracle, dealt with a rental company with simple, clear requirements on paperwork? Or should I just walk?

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 am

Green motion Terms and Conditions are pretty clear and written in plain English. Everything relevant is in the first paragraph. I've found them to be good on price.

I think the key thing for UK licensed drivers is that many companies, see for example Easirent, want 2 documents proving address, which must be the same as that on the licence. A statement from the credit card company that you use to pay for the booking will act as one but you need another. A bank statement from a different bank would do.

Both Green Motion and Easirent tend to have their offices off-airport and run a shuttle bus. Friends have told me that they have recently used Enterprise and found the prices pretty good and the service excellent, which is what they push on their adverts, but I can't find detailed terms and conditions for them.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Kilkis wrote:Green motion Terms and Conditions are pretty clear and written in plain English. Everything relevant is in the first paragraph. I've found them to be good on price.

Cheers Warwick. I don't think I'm going to be able to get past the need for 2 address proofs, but I will keep looking.

A demonstration of how complicated this has all become: You say that everything relevant is in the first paragraph, and that is quite true regarding addresses etc. However, if one reads on, apparently you need to show them your boarding pass if you are hiring from an airport office and coming off an inbound flight!!!! Can't imagine why. And how many people will have thrown away their boarding pass?

Also, they state they will take a webcam photo of you at the time of pickup..... Why? And good luck with ensuring that digital photo is deleted when you return the car.

This is just one company. Can't wait to get to the rest. Yes, I know, Victor Meldrew.

Andrew

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:48 pm

If you are using a credit card with a UK licence you would be very very unlucky to be asked for a proof of address let alone two! Your CC statement would be fine if asked, if there is a problem they may ask for a holding deposit. When I booked with Easirent this last time it is the first time I have ever been asked to show my "return" ticket as they were asking why I was coming from Crete and going back there. It's crazy really, even if I had a return ticket (worth 140 quid) nothing to stop me from taking the car and selling it etc.. Example, I produce my credit card, driving licence and then they ask for 2 proofs of address and I produce them it makes absolutely no difference if I say the car has been stolen halfway through the rental (but in reality I have sold it on), what do they think they are achieving.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Scooby, I would have said the same as you. If you are showing a credit card, presumably they can check the limit/balance, how does it help them to go through all the address rigmarole. And I must correct you. Having now trawled through T&Cs for about a dozen companies, there is not one that will rent you a car based on licence and credit card only.

Presumably the address thing is if you do sell off the car, or hand it off to a mate, they can come looking for you. I dunno, I just want to rent a car. Why does it have to be so difficult?

So we have car rental firms obsessed with paper proofs of residence, and everyone else trying to convince us that we should get our statements and bills electronically, to save trees. Once we've all gone totally digital, presumably we wont be able to rent cars anymore......

I'll probably just get the train into London and spend the day sighseeing on foot. Am I allowed to do that?

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:38 pm

I've rented from Green Motion at Gatwick many, many times and never been asked for my boarding pass. There again I have a Greek driving licence. Not sure if that makes a difference

I did once have a problem but that was because I didn't have my driving licence at all as it was being renewed. All I had was the paper that KEP gave me, which was all in Greek. I did provide a translation of it but of course that didn't have the official stamp on it. After a very long search they eventually found that they had a photocopy of my previous licence on their computer system and let me have the hire car on that basis. I presume it hadn't actually expired, as I had renewed it early intending that I should have the new one before I travelled, but the waiting period had doubled since I last renewed it.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:01 pm

Kilkis wrote:I've rented from Green Motion at Gatwick many, many times and never been asked for my boarding pass. There again I have a Greek driving licence. Not sure if that makes a difference

Warwick, it's in the first paragraph. Which just proves the UK is not much better than Greece when it comes to different rules on different days in different offices........

Andrew

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:20 pm

YoMo2 wrote:Scooby, I would have said the same as you. If you are showing a credit card, presumably they can check the limit/balance, how does it help them to go through all the address rigmarole. And I must correct you. Having now trawled through T&Cs for about a dozen companies, there is not one that will rent you a car based on licence and credit card only.

Presumably the address thing is if you do sell off the car, or hand it off to a mate, they can come looking for you. I dunno, I just want to rent a car. Why does it have to be so difficult?

So we have car rental firms obsessed with paper proofs of residence, and everyone else trying to convince us that we should get our statements and bills electronically, to save trees. Once we've all gone totally digital, presumably we wont be able to rent cars anymore......

I'll probably just get the train into London and spend the day sighseeing on foot. Am I allowed to do that?

Andrew
Andrew, I will direct you to two firms at least who mention only cc and licence when I have time. Even Green motion who have bank statement or utility bill have never asked and they are the firm I use 80% of the time. Also two forms like this is a rare occurrence and usually if you don't use a credit card. Don't despair too much.

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Andrew, have had a quick look and these firms have no mention of utility bills etc... although I would still take a cc statement but only produce if asked:

https://www.europcar.co.uk/EBE/module/r ... ntal-terms

https://www.hertz.co.uk/p/hertz-togethe ... t-car-hire

Funny one with Hertz (although once again never been asked for additional docs). If you notice they say "Another form of ID such as your current passport or a utility bill, with your name and address shown". that is to say your passport doesn't have your address on, it's just poorly written and they only mean the utility bill if you can't produce passport.

Hope this helps ease your concerns.

Return to “General Discussion & News”