car trailers

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
alansmithnl

car trailers

Postby alansmithnl » Tue May 29, 2018 12:44 pm

I bought in my trailer from the Netherlands no problems, as it pulls only 750kg and has one axle, runs on the same number plate as the car and doesn't have to be registered. Now I have to pay import duty on my quadbike so I took it to Souda customs as arranged, no problem. Then they said what about your trailer? I said it doesn't have to be registered etc etc. Ah, they said, the law has changed, they said. All trailers have to be registered. So, arguments ensued, but they wouldn't give in and told me the trailer had to be scrapped. I told them I had a right to use it for 6 months and then it had to leave the country. Oh no, they said. As soon as you get home it must be scrapped! Does anyone know this ruling, as I obviously don't!
Alan

filippos

Re: car trailers

Postby filippos » Tue May 29, 2018 2:16 pm

As far as I'm aware it's not a new ruling. It's several years since I checked but my understanding has been that a trailer and the towing vehicle always have to be registered together as a pair.

alansmithnl

Re: car trailers

Postby alansmithnl » Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks, Phil. After a half hour research, I got the answer that it must have a certificate of conformity. Which I obviously don't have, so ill sell it. I am sure some enterprising farmer will come up with an ingenious cunning plan!

Return to “General Discussion & News”