Sky Express new flights Chania - Athens

Flights Crete/ UK. UK/Crete. Other destinations from Crete or Athens, plus late availability & deals
Carolina
Site Admin

Sky Express new flights Chania - Athens

Postby Carolina » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:57 am

Sky Express to start flights Chania - Athens from November 1st 2018.

More info -

https://livingincrete-carolina.blogspot ... hania.html

Carolina
Site Admin

Re: Sky Express new flights Chania - Athens

Postby Carolina » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:08 pm

Just a reminder, or in case you missed it, Sky Express flights Chania - Athens - Chania have now started operating.

http://www.skyexpress.gr

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Feedback in Sky Express. I’ve just flown Chania - Athens.

Flying must haves: the plane must only land at an airport (not in the sea or on a mountainside. Sky Express did this fine.

Flying good to haves: plane arrives on time, flight isn’t too bumpy, enough legroom, not expensive. Sky Express was on time, a bit choppy coming into Athens through the clouds, I had legroom (I am 6feet 3 inches tall), cheaper than Aegean.

Flying nice to haves: Decent food, space for hand luggage. This is more difficult. There was no food (it was under 1 hour) but it’s a small plane - a twin propellor ATR - and they are naturally strict on cabin bags as there is v limited space in the overhead storage space - one small bag only and not the usual carry on bags. Not a problem if you travel light or if you have enough time to connect at Athens (we waited 30 minutes for our bags). I would think it is risky to connect to an onward flight with checked in luggage with under 2 hours between flights - it’s quite a walk from domestic arrivals to UK departures.

Not everyone likes a twin prop plane - my wife and one daughter found it a bit bumpy.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:17 pm

Guy M wrote:...Not everyone likes a twin prop plane - my wife and one daughter found it a bit bumpy.
Isn't bumpiness more to do with the air than the craft?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:57 pm

Air turbulence of various types is certainly the driving force, i.e. no turbulence no "bumpiness", but different aircraft will respond to the same turbulence with different perceived "bumpiness". The smaller the plane the more perceived "bumpiness". If you ever fly the main part of a journey in a decent size jet and then get into a small aircraft, like a De Haviland Dove, to fly the last leg you soon learn the difference. Vortex turbulence, caused by the wing tips of large body jets, would cause a following, similar size jet a bit of bouncing around but could flip a light aircraft completely over, possibly into a tail spin.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:58 pm

Oh, right, Sky Express fly in really tiny planes. Silly me.

mouche

Postby mouche » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:24 pm

[i]Each passenger can carry one (1) hand luggage and a small personal item (a small purse/bag or laptop case) into the cabin of the aircraft.

Hand luggage must not exceed 45 cm x 35 cm x 20 cm so that it can be stored in the space above the seats.

The fleet of Sky Express consists of several machines adapted for short distance flights - ATR42-500 and ATR72-500 planes. The ATR42-500 planes have 48 seats, and ATR72-500 have 70 seats.
[/i]

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:31 pm

Yes, today’s flight was an ATR42. Still, it gave me a chance to tell my family, again, my twin prop anecdote: flying from Dar Es Salaam to Nairobi in a twin prop, I was seated next to the emergency exit. The air hostess said before we took off ‘I must give you the safety briefing. If the aircraft needs to be evacuated, open the door by turning the red lever down. When you jump out of the plane, turn left. If you turn right, the propeller will chop you to pieces’.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:32 am

filippos wrote:Oh, right, Sky Express fly in really tiny planes. Silly me.

I was giving examples at the extreme ends of the scale to make the point that the plane is as important as the air conditions. I can assure you that the same amount of air turbulence is going to feel much worse in a 48 seat ATR42 500, as used by Sky Express, than an A320. I once made a flight from Stockholm to Kiruna in a Convair Model 440 Metropolitan, one of the last radial piston engine planes, similar in size to an ATR42 500. The plane had pressurisation problems so flew at the cloud base the whole way. I think the flight took 6 hours but I may have not remembered that correctly. I do know that it wasn't pleasant and flying has never bothered me. The combination of engine vibration, a beat effect because they never quite synchronised and air turbulence is not something I would recommend

Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:49 pm

When booking my flights back to UK in November I allowed 2 hours+ between Sky Express landing in Athens and Easy Jet departure. On arrival at Chania was informed SE departure was 45 min delayed. They also took my carry-on bag to put in hold (Too big/Too heavy) !! In Athens plane parked at extreme end of terminal. Longish bus transfer and then a long (!!!) run to baggage reclaim. Fortunately my bag was one of the first up. Another long run through departures, then security. I was last in the queue for the gate. Allow more than 2 hours.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 am

jackdaw wrote:...and then a long (!!!) run to baggage reclaim...

Can somebody explain this "run" concept? It's not something I am familiar with.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:39 am

Kilkis wrote:

Warwick

You would be familiar with the" run concept" at Athens airport if you had an Aegean air to Aegean air evening connection and the first flight was a few minutes late and you did not have the pace of Usain Bolt. :wink:

scooby

Postby scooby » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:45 am

Kamisiana wrote:
Kilkis wrote:

Warwick

You would be familiar with the" run concept" at Athens airport if you had an Aegean air to Aegean air evening connection and the first flight was a few minutes late and you did not have the pace of Usain Bolt. :wink:
As I understand it if you are flying Aegean transferring to Aegean you would have no problem as the 2nd flight would wait.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Yes i think thats correct but when your flight is the second from last and they are both fully booked the thought of sitting in Athens airport in winter over night make you run a bit faster :wink:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:43 pm

I've played the running through airports game too many times, Kamisiana, and I can 100 % guarantee you I gave up that sort of sport a few years ago and I have no intention of taking it up again for any reason.

Warwick

Return to “Flights Crete General & Late Deals”