Garden furniture

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
Sallyb

Garden furniture

Postby Sallyb » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:55 pm

We are hoping to have some furniture delivered from the UK to crete in February and we were thinking of adding garden furniture to the list as we are starting from scratch. In the UK rattan furniture is all the rage but all of the dining tables have glass tops and apparently in the heatwave in the summer it melted the rattan underneath. I can’t find a rattan table for 6 people which doesn’t have a glass top. My question is, should I get the garden furniture from the UK or is there a good choice in crete? We are just near the end of the process of buying a house near Rethymno.

Peter W

Re: Garden furniture

Postby Peter W » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:01 am

A company called Almeco provides outdoor furniture for many of the hotels and bars on Crete, they also sell into the domestic market, their factory and showroom is located off the National Road, Rethymno, take the Atsipopoulo turn off from the National Road.

Peter

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:12 pm

Some of those rattan sets have a table with a hard square cushion on top which matches the vushions on the seats. We got ours from Oikos in Chania. However, all the original cushions faded and got waterlogged and we had to get new upgraded material. We just use the table without a glass or cushion top and it works fine with a just tray for coffees etc.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:15 pm

Sallyb wrote:We are hoping to have some furniture delivered from the UK to crete in February and we were thinking of adding garden furniture to the list as we are starting from scratch. In the UK rattan furniture is all the rage but all of the dining tables have glass tops and apparently in the heatwave in the summer it melted the rattan underneath. I can’t find a rattan table for 6 people which doesn’t have a glass top. My question is, should I get the garden furniture from the UK or is there a good choice in crete? We are just near the end of the process of buying a house near Rethymno.

How does rattan melt ?...I've made stuff with rattan ,it gets harder and harder as it dries out . After many years it can get very dry and brittle but linseed oil on a soft cloth deals with that ...but it will never melt ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:23 pm

I'm not sure but I think there may be a misunderstanding of what rattan means, Jeff. There is a lot of furniture here made of interwoven plastic strips around a wooden frame. I think people may be mistaking that for rattan. I haven't had it melt but it does expand and contract with the weather and can snap. It is usually double layer and I have had wasps build nests between the layers, which is quite unpleasant when you pick them up without realising. I would never buy it again.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:11 pm

Rattan made from plastic strips ....what will they think of next? If it is plastic it ain't rattan it is plastic ....rattan is lovely stuff it lasts for years ,I know folk in the UK who have 60 year old rattan furniture looks great is very comfortable....and very environmentally friendly... Vote for rattan.... :!:

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:49 pm

I think our rattan is fake, ie plastic, but it just felt a bit softer to touch than real rattan which we found scratchy. I think there are lots of materials, some a bit better and more expensive than others. Time will tell how good it is i suppose. I put comfort above all else.

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”