The Men From The Ministry

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Tim

The Men From The Ministry

Postby Tim » Sat May 11, 2019 5:44 pm

I have had a first-hand report from an ex-pat that a team from the local dimos (Sitia in this case) turned up on his doorstep and asked what he described as quite searching questions about his residency (duration, frequency etc) and income (work, money, income tax). They told him that they were visiting every foreign national in the area. I wonder if this is an outcome from the recent Cadastral exercise? I believe my own situation is above board but know of a couple of people locally who might find such questioning awkward.(!) Anybody else had a visit from the men with the clipboards?

Tim

Jeffstclair

Re: The Men From The Ministry

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat May 11, 2019 6:19 pm

No not heard of anything like that ....but there is very few of us immigrants up here ...was that in Sitia ....

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sat May 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Hmmm. Smells a bit fishy to me, Tim. You sure it's not a scam? I assume these guys properly identified themselves, but one is bound to ask why the Dimos need, or have the right, to know anything about your income and residency status, which I would think is a matter for the tax office and police respectively. I wonder if you are talking about our mutual friend in the next village for whom things always seem to go wrong with officialdom? I'll send you a pm.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat May 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Ah the thott plickens ...

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun May 12, 2019 9:10 am

Mixos wrote: Smells a bit fishy to me

Everything round here smells a bit fishy at the moment. I wonder when the water's going to come back on? I guess if it goes off on a Saturday evening, the answer is not any time soon! Will keep my ears open on the other thing and post anything I find out.

Tim

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun May 12, 2019 12:54 pm

You want water, Tim? You're welcome to the contents of my dehumidifiers, still extracting the stuff by the
the gallon after all those wet weeks. Got leather sandals and belts, too, free to anyone who can be a**sed to remove the mould. Remember last year when we were praying for rain? Perhaps we should have been careful to wish for only as much as was necessary....

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun May 12, 2019 2:31 pm

Yep, with you there, Clio. I don't have any dehumidifiers. And I have the black mildew splattered ceilings to prove it! :wink:

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun May 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Yeah I 'm 3/4 of the way through re painting the whole house ....

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun May 12, 2019 4:02 pm

I'm having a day off from repainting mine because, to bring the conversation full circle, I haven't got any bloody water to wash the brushes. :evil:

Return to “General Discussion & News”