Unsupported hardware Win 7 updates

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
nuska

Unsupported hardware Win 7 updates

Postby nuska » Sun May 19, 2019 9:32 am

I am having a problem with Windows updates, the message 'unsupported hardware' appears.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... rsion-that
Does anyone have a solution or work around please? I'm not happy to upgrade to Win 10 yet having seen many bad reports.

Mixos

Re: Unsupported hardware Win 7 updates

Postby Mixos » Sun May 19, 2019 8:00 pm

I'm no expert on these things, nuska, but I think Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 a long time ago. Windows 10 is fine -- any early bugs have been fixed so don't be afraid to upgrade. It'll be like swapping your old rusty banger for a nice new hatchback!

steven_0

Postby steven_0 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:47 am

There is a, unofficial, patch for it.

Info here:
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/2 ... lake-ryzen

Patch here:
https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

Hope it will help you out

Grts
Steve

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Mon May 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Windows 10 is fine although different to previous Microsoft OS's in that your license for W10 is dependent on the hardware you install it on. Upgrade your PC and you may have to pay a small fee to Microsoft for the additional hardware support. Buy a new PC you should get a new installation of W10 that supports the hardware it is installed on.

Windows 7 still has a year to go for security updates, the most important part of a Windows update, although it sounds like you are having problems. Maybe read this article to help decide.
https://www.howtogeek.com/400783/window ... ches-left/

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue May 21, 2019 12:25 am

Had no problems with Win 10 since installed at introduction. Use it daily & frequently.

nuska

Postby nuska » Wed May 22, 2019 9:48 am

Unfortunately the 'wufuc' solution no longer works

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 22, 2019 10:34 am

As far as I can tell Windows 7 updates are only blocked on modern processors, e,g, Intel 7th-Generation Kaby Lake processors and AMD “Bristol Ridge” Rizen chips or later. Since Windows 10 was released in July 2015, with free upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 up to July 2016, and Kaby Lake processors were not released until the end of August 2016 why is anybody running Windows 7 on a Kaby Lake or later processor?

There were certainly some problems with Windows 10 when it was first released, not experienced by everybody, but they were sorted out very quickly. I waited until June 2016 to upgrade, just to be on the safe side, but I haven't had any serious problems with it. A couple of minor niggles as mentioned in other threads but no real problems. My ancient printer wasn't supported but that had been acting up mechanically for some time so it finally pushed me to get rid and buy a new one.

Windows operating systems have tended to alternate. For example XP was pretty good, Vista was horrendous. Windows 7 was excellent and 8 was a nightmare, although somewhat improved with the release of 8.1. Thus, as expected, since there wasn't a Version 9 Windows 10 was also very good. It took me a few minutes to get rid of all the "cool" crap that Microsoft added but once I had done that it looks and feels almost identical to 7.

Anybody who put off upgrading in the first year because of stories on the Internet now have to pay to upgrade. Internet information needs treating with great care. It's a bit like reading star rating comments on Amazon. I always tend to read the 1 star ones to see if there is some common problem. Some are useful but I filter out comments of the type: "Don bye it itz no gud min dint work so I sen it bac".

Warwick

Joan

Postby Joan » Wed May 22, 2019 1:07 pm

I have a Windows 10 laptop which I use for work - easy and no problems.

I also have a Windows 7 desktop in England and a Windows 7 laptop in Crete, both several years old. In both cases I tried to upgrade to Windows 10, which I was more than happy to do. In both cases the upgrade failed at the last step saying that the update was not possible for the respective machine. So it's not always "putting off" updating - some of us have tried and failed.

Meanwhile I have to decide which hardware to replace and by what - not an easy decision.

Joan

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Totally agree, Joan. Older machines with older processors could not be upgraded to Windows 10 BUT those older machines can still receive updates for Windows 7, at least as long as Microsoft continue supplying them. I wasn't suggesting that everybody should have upgraded to Windows 10. What I was querying was why a machine with a processor that was launched after Windows 10 became the default would be running on Windows 7? As far as I am aware it is only those more recent processors that are not accepting the Windows 7 updates.
Joan wrote:...Meanwhile I have to decide which hardware to replace and by what - not an easy decision.

Joan

In the case of the laptop it is pretty easy. It is virtually impossible to upgrade most components so it is just a matter of which new laptop you fancy/can afford.

In the case of the desktop what you will need to replace is not that hard. The obvious thing is the processor since it is that that is stopping you upgrading to Windows 10. Since they keep changing the socket that the processor fits into you will almost certainly need to replace the mother board. The later mother board and processor will almost certainly use different memory so you will need to replace that. You might get away with keeping the display card but it is also possible there won't be drivers available for that card with the new processor if it is old. Most modern processors have their own built in display chip so, if you don't want to play modern 3D games, you could just use that. You need to check that the mother board has the right socket for your monitor. Whether to replace the hard drive is a matter of judgement. They do wear out eventually. The case and the PSU should be OK providing you buy a mother board suitable for both, i.e. the right form factor, ATX, mini ATX etc.

Which models to choose is a bit harder. If you look at any component there will be an entry level model with relatively low performance that is the cheapest. As you move up the price range initially you tend to get quite big improvements in performance for relatively modest increases in price but as you start to get close to the latest state-of-the-art model you get big increases in price with relatively small improvements in performance. I tend to buy the model that is close to where the price first starts to kick up faster. Whether you go down the Intel route or the AMD route is a matter of personal preference. I have always bought Intel but I couldn't give you a rational argument why.

Warwick
Last edited by Kilkis on Wed May 22, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joan

Postby Joan » Wed May 22, 2019 1:40 pm

I think it all stops in January 2020 - so I have a few more months to dither/decide!

Joan

nuska

Postby nuska » Wed May 22, 2019 5:34 pm

' why is anybody running Windows 7 on a Kaby Lake or later processor? '
Because it was installed after I had a hard drive failure, together with new motherboard etc. I opted for Win 7 as I knew it was supported until 2020 ( they fooled me .....)

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”