Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:57 pm

I drove a hire car in the UK on the paperwork issued by KEP while my Greek licence was being renewed. I took a photocopy of the licence that was being renewed and a translation of the KEP document. I can't see why a photocopy of your expired licence together with the temporary licence plus a translation shouldn't work just as well.

If you are stopped by the police in the UK simply explain that your licence is in the process of being renewed, that the process is taking a long time in Greece because of an industrial dispute in the department that issues them and so they have issued you with a temporary one until the dispute is resolved. OK it isn't in the EU format but they can see from the photocopy of the original, which is in the EU format, what you are entitled to drive. The temporary licence simply extends the validity of the original. I can't guarantee it will work but you have to take some risks in life.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Got a bit more on the 74 and over driving test today. This candidate had to drive out of the car park and turn right, then right again, right again, right again back into the car park. Job done. He did say that he had to ask the examiner to fasten his seat belt though! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm

bobscott wrote: He did say that he had to ask the examiner to fasten his seat belt though! Bob.

So did he fail you for that??

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:57 pm

I thought it was illegal to wear your seat belt within the town limits? Every time I went on a long journey with any of my Greek work colleagues they wore their seat belts when on the highway but immediately unfastened them the second they drove past the sign with the town name on it. I automatically assumed they didn't want to get caught wearing it?

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:48 am

Carolina wrote:
bobscott wrote: He did say that he had to ask the examiner to fasten his seat belt though! Bob.

So did he fail you for that??

Ha ha. You too Warwick! Bob.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:58 pm

Has anyone who is over the age of 74 taken the written exam to change from a UK licence to a Greek Licence.

Gone through all the pain of the paper work 6 months, each visit a new request. She has run out of requests, I hope, and has told me to find a Lawyer who will translate the test for me. Quotes to date 100 euro (Agios Nikolaos).
How many questions must be answered, is it multiple choice?.
Do they not have one in English?. There are two Greek Web sites for mock exams that are all in English.
Anyone else in the Agios Nikolaos area having to sit the witten exam
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:31 pm

I am sorry that I am not in your area and cannot help. My husband began changing his licence for a Greek one about four months ago. He is 77 and has not been asked to do a written test, in fact KEP cstegorically told him that it was not required, only a practical test which he has later this month.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:10 pm

I'm certain it is just a practical test if you are simply renewing a Greek licence at 74+, even if it came originally from a UK one, but I don't know what the requirements are for changing from UK to Greek at 74+.

As far as I am aware, but I could be wrong, the written test can only be taken in Greek. It is multiple choice so you don't need to write any Greek, just understand what the options mean. You might need to get some tuition from an English speaking driving instructor before taking it. I think that there are some oddities in Greek traffic law. For example a Danish friend was booked for failing to stop at a Stop sign. The sign was placed about 50 m before the junction so she did the obvious thing and stopped at the junction. The police claim she should have stopped at the sign, which would have served no purpose whatsoever. I looked at one of the trial tests in English and despite having driven here for over 20 years I couldn't always spot the correct option. Some are worded very strangely. Perhaps they were just bad translations.

Warwick

PS You could try to contact the Ministry for Transport and ask them if it is a requirement to take the written test. yme@yme.gov.gr

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:52 am

Kilkis wrote:I'm certain it is just a practical test if you are simply renewing a Greek licence at 74+, even if it came originally from a UK one, but I don't know what the requirements are for changing from UK to Greek at 74+.

We took our tests for the over 74's last week. It took each of us about 7 minutes to drive around the circuit - a continuous series of instructions to turn right! No written test, no emergency stop, no parking. Just drive from the test centre car park and arrive back there 7 minutes later! We have Greek licences from about 15 years or so ago when we changed from UK licences. Bob.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:57 pm

We took our tests for the over 74's last week. It took each of us about 7 minutes to drive around the circuit - a continuous series of instructions to turn right! No written test, no emergency stop, no parking. Just drive from the test centre car park and arrive back there 7 minutes later! We have Greek licences from about 15 years or so ago when we changed from UK licences. Bob.

Thanks for the above, however I do not have a Greek Driving licence. This is my first application for one. My fault I should have changed it a few years back.

Would love to hear from anyone who like me is applying for the first time.
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:34 pm

See my post above. My husband IS applying for the first time. Double checked with KEP, went in again today, no written test required. :)

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:01 pm

evansmr1 wrote:

Thanks for the above, however I do not have a Greek Driving licence. This is my first application for one. My fault I should have changed it a few years back.

Would love to hear from anyone who like me is applying for the first time.

Unless the rule have changed, getting your UK licence changed to Greek involves no tests at all. Having said that, if you are 74 or over, you MAY have to take the test I described above. Basically a doddle! Bob.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Yes, the practical test is required for over 74s :)

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:47 am

Can you please confirm/advise where to go in Xania for the driving test please? Warwick, you described very early on (March 2018) how to get to the centre to renew or apply for a licence, along the Chrysipiggi Road? Is this the same place?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:11 am

Yes. It's all done at the same site. Vehicle ownership change, driving licence change/renewal, driving tests etc. I'm not sure which building you would need to go to for the test. Immediately inside the gate is a long building to the right. I believe the office where you change/renew a driving licence is at the far end of that building. There is a path along the front of the building, i.e. between the building and the fence and at the end of that path is the driving licence change/renewal office. I would start there. They should be able to tell you where to go to take the basic practical test for 74+ drivers.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”