UK Food in Supermarkets

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Tim

Re: UK Food in Supermarkets

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Would certainly be an improvement on what is currently on offer, kamisiana. Or is it me? Do the indigenous population have a special technique? I wish I'd left some of my furniture in England and loaded up the van with Andrex instead!

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:52 pm

chrissyg wrote:Whats A/B and are there any in the Chania area, pref Vamos?

AB is one of the bigger supermarkets. There are two in the Chania area but not near Vamos. Probably the easiest one for you would be off the Souda Road. If you come off the National Highway at the main Souda Junction, go down to the Souda Road into Chania and turn left. After about 1.2 km the road widens and there is an offset junction with some traffic lights. Turn right there and follow that road for about another 1km and AB is on the left.

The other one is on the Old National Highway from Chania to Kissamos. It is about 1 km from the junction with the Omalos Road in the Kissamos direction just before the turn off for Chryssi Akti beach. I think this one is bigger so perhaps more likely to have unusual stuff.

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Tim, although I've never been inside it myself, I should think you'd find of most of what's on your homesick shopping list at "The English Shop," on the Kritsa Road about 1km outside Agios Nikolaos. (Not sure about the industrial size loo rolls though.)
M.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Mixos wrote:Tim, although I've never been inside it myself, I should think you'd find of most of what's on your homesick shopping list at "The English Shop," on the Kritsa Road about 1km outside Agios Nikolaos. (Not sure about the industrial size loo rolls though.)
M.

Hi Mixos
Yes. they do. Just thought if markatsos could get them into Halkiadakis it would save me a 45 minute drive. Not sure about the loo roll - I'm going there next week and I'll have a look and report back to what I imagine is a forum holding its collective breath. If they don't stock it I'll suggest it to Jayne who runs the place - but I guess it would take up a lot of room in the van.

Tim

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:06 pm

If you wait a couple of months, you’ll be able to replicate a U.K. Supermarket easily by renting a shop with shelves that have no foreign products on them. Then you can remind people what a sensible move it was not to live in Post Brexit Britain.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Tim wrote:
Also, toilet paper with decent sized squares of paper. Just sayin' .....

Tim

Thinking of selling Greek toilet paper to to the UK after 31st October, myself.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Doomed to failure, I fear, Carol. Major culture clash. Brits will never get their heads round Greek toilet paper. In a manner of speaking .... :|

Tim

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 pm

..I have lived here for almost 15 years now ...and I don't think I miss anything to be honest ...I do buy spices on line, but that is about it cos I do like good spicy stuff ...curries , and stir fries ..The very high quality and cheap . fruit vegetables here are brilliant , and I grow a fare bit as well ...and chrissyg: I too love hummus and eat loads very cheap to make and very nutritious..

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:18 pm

chrissyg wrote:Whats A/B and are there any in the Chania area, pref Vamos?

ΑΒ Βασιλόπουλος (AB Vassilopoulos) - I think their "catch phrase" is "we sell everything" - I asked for Turkey Milk once but they didn't have any :)

If you google ΑΒ Βασιλόπουλος χανια, that shows 2 locations.

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:28 pm

Danged if I can see the difference between Greek toilet paper and UK t.p.

You folks sure you're not hanging kitchen roll on the bathroom wall ?? 8)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:06 pm

Me neither Glen. As long as it's not Izal I don't really care. Now that was bad.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:28 pm

Kilkis wrote:Me neither Glen. As long as it's not Izal I don't really care. Now that was bad.

Warwick

Yep, I'm of that age too :)

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Izal? Is that the paper we used to "play" by putting it next to a comb and humming...? No, that was Bronco I think. Happy days.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:36 am

Chrissyg, Farmer Φαρμα in Kalyves, do very tasty veggie burgers. Go through their shop almost to the end (before you reach the outdoor undercover fruit and veg section) and you will see a tall glass fronted freezer. Inside you should see a clear plastic sealed bag containing approximately 10-12 veggie burgers. Or just ask for them when you enter the shop.
Someday is now : )

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:39 am

I buy humous in Inka in Kalyves but have also bought it in A&B.
Someday is now : )

Return to “General Discussion & News”