CoronaVirus now confirmed on Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Re: CoronaVirus now confirmed on Crete

Postby Carolina » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:55 am

Kilkis wrote:
I was aware that non-EU nationals were banned from entering Greece after 6 am on 18 March but that report said that "Quarantine may be ordered for all others, especially British citizens." I wasn't aware of any ban or quarantine arrangement for EU, including UK, citizens as early as 16 March.

Warwick

Article Monday 16th March ekathimerini
Press briefing on Monday 16th March...Deputy Civil Protection Minister Nikos Hardalias said that anyone arriving from abroad should place themselves into obligatory quarantine for two weeks, and refered specifically to those arriving from Britain, a country that has yet to apply strict measures to limit the spread of the virus.
The quarantine applies to anyone entering the country, regardless of nationality.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/250703/arti ... quarantine

Howard

Postby Howard » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:24 am

A few days ago, on the British in Greece site, someone was asking for "fingers crossed" for him avoiding the police as he was planning a 60Km round trip to Lidl because he "needed to do a big shop". Almost as concerning was the number of likes/thumbs up he got in support.

BST

Postby BST » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:02 am

Carolina- No sympathy with the idiot who went to Paphos or the idiots buying shopping on their way home from the airport!! However, it's a shame everyone is getting tarred with the same brush!! Maybe it's just because I avoid certain expats that I avoid the idiots???
Howard - At the moment I don't think the rules specify the distance to buy food or travel to the supermarket. From our village, I would have to make 3 possibly 4 stops to get fresh meat, bread, vegetables and household essentials and I would have to get in the car to do that. It makes more sense from a safety point of view to just go to Lidl even though it's further away. I have done that once since lock down and got stopped by the police who made no comment about the distance we had travelled. However, when we got stopped by the police walking the dog just yards from our door they did question how far we were walking. I can see that's different.

Howard

Postby Howard » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:04 am

BST I am not going to comment upon your personal choices. My post was about a resident in Apokoronas who had made it clear that he was intending to flaunt the "essential travel" rules and was asking other group members to support him in this (which a worrying number did). With so many food outlets in Apokoronas, including a number of Synkas, I wonder how a 60Km round trip to Lidl is essential travel.

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:17 am

BST wrote: However, when we got stopped by the police walking the dog just yards from our door they did question how far we were walking.

In Italy you can walk the dog maximum 200 metres from your home.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:12 am

BST wrote:Sadly it appears Chania has its first case. 66 year old man with mild symptoms in house quarantine.

According to Cretapost the man who tested positive in Chania is a UK ex-pat who recently returned to the island. It doesn't say when he returned. I heard indirectly that he lives in Kissamos but I can't confirm that. No information if he was self isolating during the period between when he returned and developing symptoms.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:27 am

I would argue that driving to a bigger supermarket where you can get everything to stock up rather that going several times to local ones may be better for the infection tisks. Same here in the uk where my local shops have very little, run out more often and have less space to move around so i drive 8 miles to Morrisons once a week to get provisions. Same with walking the dog here. Rules say to walk from your house but i see nothing wrong in hopping in the car to a more isolated spot in the countryside rather than walk along a busy terraced street to get to a patch of green if you live in a large town. People are being picked on for flouting illogical rules and it is not necessary. The police are using drones to spy on people and being very heavy handed. Even in supermarkets they are getting very tense and ordering people where to stand and stopping them buying certain products because they are not essential even though they are there on the shelves. I honestly dont think lockdown cannot go on for too long. We are all going crazy and its only been 2 weeks.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:37 am

Stop worrying about whther the police will stop you. This lot are far more terrifying. Coming to a neighbourhood near you soon.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 am

Kilkis wrote:Stop worrying about whther the police will stop you. This lot are far more terrifying. Coming to a neighbourhood near you soon.
Warwick

The ladies in the above link don't appear to need to be 2m apart. Mind you, if I was a virus I'd definitely think twice .... !

Tim

BST

Postby BST » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:05 am

Warwick in that article it says the man travelled to Britain but no mention of him being an expat, although he might have been. Could also have been a business man? There is no mention of his nationality in any articles I have read. It's a bit like the young man who returned to Herakleion from the UK and was tested positive. Turns out he was Albanian! In fact apart from the idiot on Ilaria I haven't read of any Brits who have brought CV to Greece but there probably are somewhere. The bulk of transmissions so far appear to be Greek pilgrims, Greeks returning from ski trips to Italy and Bulgaria or Greeks moving around Greece.

BST

Postby BST » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:13 am

Details about the Kisssmos case from Flashnews. He was a Greek from the mainland who returned to his holiday home via Athens!!!

"The 66-year-old is hospitalized in his home country, under the supervision of EODY

Observing all prescribed protocols, the 66-year-old Greek Public Health Organization has been observed to be infected with the new coronavirus after being sampled at a private clinic in Chania.

According to Flashnews.gr, the 66-year-old man is not a Chaniot and comes from another part of the country, while having a holiday in a Chania prefecture.

In March he returned to Athens after a trip to Great Britain, and shortly afterwards he went to his holiday home in Chania to enter the 14-day detention program as set out in the measures.

While he was in solitary confinement, he showed some symptoms and immediately informed the EODY from which he was instructed to undergo a coronavirus test.
He went to Chania's private clinic where samples were taken in addition to Chania Hospital.

Following confirmation from a certified Athens laboratory that he was infected with coronavirus, EODY was again informed by instructions to the 66-year-old to remain in hospital and in isolation.

At the same time, the 7th Health District of Crete was informed as well as the Hospital of Chania, which is ready for its hospitalization, if necessary.

Reportedly, his health is very good, symptoms remain mild, and no instructions have been given by EODY for tracing contacts since the first time he went to Chania he was in the expected isolation at his home"

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:31 am

Tim

Look at the date. Good joke though.

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:33 am

Keltz wrote:
chrissyg wrote:1798 deaths in UK Tim but in the briefing the health guy said we are not out of the woods but that there are definite 'green Shoots'. We look like we are beginning to plateau.

Thanks. As each country in the UK has its own seperate NHS making seperate briefings it would have been helpful to see how each are coping. That make England at 1,641 deaths and having 85% of UK population that is quite high at 91% of UK deaths.

I have just found this reported in https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/cor ... r-rest-uk/ today... "updated Office for National Statistics (ONS) data for England and Wales which suggests that as much as 24% of deaths have gone unreported there because they occurred outside of hospital.

Ms Sturgeon said this was unlikely to be the case here since Health Protection Scotland records Covid-19 deaths as any occurring within 28 days of laboratory confirmation, regardless of where the person died. "

This is why reliable numbers are so important and perhaps why Greece has tried to cut off the UK.

The numbers for England are held by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and include Welsh figures. I have not seen that figure reported. They only include those who have died in hospital, so it is reasonable to expect the real number for England to be higher when places like Care Homes are eventually included. Sorry, but there can be no sign of 'green Shoots' when the real figures are not yet being reported.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:39 pm

I am only quoting what they said in the daily briefing, which i trust more than the media stories. Yes, the numbers arent right but the death rate to infections is not right because as they know now thousands of people have had it without even knowing, hence the spread unfotunately, and thousands more have very mild symptoms.
This is not going to go until we get a vaccination which is a year away. All we can do is slow the spread so that we can cope with it. The green shoots are the number of hospital admissions are way below what they were expecting at this time, it may be false optimism as you say.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Eleni13 wrote:Tim

Look at the date. Good joke though.

Ah, well-spotted, Eleni. I think I get a little slower on the uptake every year. It's an age thing. :roll:

Tim

Return to “General Discussion & News”