How do you deal with locals breaking quarantine?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
lDm

How do you deal with locals breaking quarantine?

Postby lDm » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:11 am

Simple question - how do you deal with people who are in breach of current homestay regulations?

Do you call the police? Is there a special line? Would the local authorities take the matter seriously?

I see locals outside my house exactly since 23 March, on an almost daily basis, visiting an old place for what is clearly not essential purposes..
The old place is not yet a ruin but def not a place anyone normally lives in.
I am concerned that those people are transiting between north / south coast so aside from the obvious disturbance can be transmitting the virus further. Often those are group visits for what seems like socializing (2-4 cars, i.e. 2-4+ people inside/outside a place that clearly will not allow 1.5 m distance) - are group gatherings other than wedding/funeral allowed at this time??
And what if I am disturbed by fire smoke, noise, activity past midnight, etc?

Everyone's opinion is greatly appreciated. I'm short of considering informing the authorities..

YoMo2

Re: How do you deal with locals breaking quarantine?

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:40 am

Slightly confusing post, maybe they are doing drugs deals....

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:09 am

We think alike, Andrew.

Warwick

lDm

Postby lDm » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:22 am

Hi guys!

It's more a case of this sort

"Fines for those abusing the “permanent residence” issue and trying to travel for leisure purposes (for example for visiting summer homes) will increase from €150 to €300, licence plates will be removed for 60 days and the vehicle will be sent back to where it came from. They will be fined for “unnecessary movement” even if they move in the prefecture of their residence."

The problem is also that they seem to be related to our landlords and now they started some inner construction work (the shed shares a wall with the house), however my patience has run out because of the transitions of multiple cars/people daily (I suspect at least by 7+, if not more KMs, up to Rethymno where there are 2 death cases already), aside from the "usual" noise/air pollution.

I called the Chania police yesterday but guy didn't speak English (my Greek is awful). I made photos of their cars just wish I knew if I could pass these and are they enough to report. Plate numbers I can't make out, but they are Rethymno.

lDm

Postby lDm » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:28 am

And been observing those cars day in/out since exactly 23rd.. they park outside the house.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:38 am

So if I understand correctly you want to report people related to your landlords to the police for possibly breaking the emergency Covid-19 laws? I stressed 'possibly' because you don't know what's going on. Do you really think that it's a smart idea?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:43 am

Construction and other works have not been banned, so if these guys are working on this property then they are not doing anything illegal.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:45 am

lDm wrote:Hi guys!

It's more a case of this sort

"Fines for those abusing the “permanent residence” issue and trying to travel for leisure purposes (for example for visiting summer homes) will increase from €150 to €300, licence plates will be removed for 60 days and the vehicle will be sent back to where it came from. They will be fined for “unnecessary movement” even if they move in the prefecture of their residence."

The problem is also that they seem to be related to our landlords and now they started some inner construction work (the shed shares a wall with the house), however my patience has run out because of the transitions of multiple cars/people daily (I suspect at least by 7+, if not more KMs, up to Rethymno where there are 2 death cases already), aside from the "usual" noise/air pollution.

I called the Chania police yesterday but guy didn't speak English (my Greek is awful). I made photos of their cars just wish I knew if I could pass these and are they enough to report. Plate numbers I can't make out, but they are Rethymno.

Might be worth investing in a ballistic vest to be on the safe side :wink:

lDm

Postby lDm » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:58 am

Jean,
the breach of quarantine is that they clearly transit to/from outside of their residencies for no essential purposes.
If they were to do their works inside of their primary residency - this is allowed I would think. But driving to a shed each day in groups?

So it cannot be classified as outdoor activity for physical benefit, as solitary activity, as assisting someone in need (no one lives there as a primary residence), or what other essential exemptions are there..?

I agree with you that it may sour relations but this comes after messaging landlords politely explaining both how it's a risk in addition to inconvenience. Incidentally - if it prevents my freedom of movement under limitation (eg dog walk for risk of immediate contact with a transmitter right outside the house), then what? I guess no one cares although that's hardly fair.

lDm

Postby lDm » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:58 am

Carolina, see my reply to Jean.

Kamisiana, kudos =)

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:01 pm

Jean,
the breach of quarantine is that they clearly transit to/from outside of their residencies for no essential purposes.
If they were to do their works inside of their primary residency - this is allowed I would think. But driving to a shed each day in groups?

So it cannot be classified as outdoor activity for physical benefit, as solitary activity, as assisting someone in need (no one lives there as a primary residence), or what other essential exemptions are there..?

I agree with you that it may sour relations but this comes after messaging landlords politely explaining both how it's a risk in addition to inconvenience. Incidentally - if it prevents my freedom of movement under limitation (eg dog walk for risk of immediate contact with a transmitter right outside the house), then what? I guess no one cares although that's hardly fair.

I don't really see how it could be a health risk to you. But anyway, it's a free world and it's your call. I personally would tread very very carefully.

lDm

Postby lDm » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:07 pm

Jean, because these guys drive more distances and frequently in a day?
Now these guys may or may not have been going via Rethymno, but they go at least daily between multiple villages. The amount and frequency of exposure makes it likely that they could be the next transmitters. Because it's also multiple people without keeping distance to each other, that risk increases.
My understanding is that people driving a car should only be permitted journey once a day, place A to B, for essential reason.

lDm

Postby lDm » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:08 pm

And btw, thanks for your advice - I appreciate your concern (about the threading very carefully, I sense what you mean).

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:11 pm

IDm, you are quoting the rules that apply to the general public, i.e. Category B, Items 1 to 6, on the movement form. There is also a Category A on the movement form for workers. In that case they get a document authorised by their employer and the employer knows what is allowed under the law and what isn't. As Carol points out, construction work is allowed under the law so provided their employer has authorised the work through a Category A movement form they are doing nothing wrong. You might not like it but they are not breaking the law. You can report them all you like but nothing will be done except you possibly creating a lot of ill will. I'm guessing they are not there 24 hours per day. Take your dog out when they are not there.

Warwick

lDm

Postby lDm » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:17 pm

Warwick,
it's not category A - more like if you get a bunch of folks to move, except these guys are doing DIY drilling, banging, chopping trees, etc. I guess installations. Essentially they are converting the shed into something that can be lived in (at Easter??)
We are talking hours typically of 7-10AM til 22-23-1AM. No respect for quiet hours (siesta) either.
I cannot go out to confront them (which would be stupid anyway), my understanding is that police must inquire as to their permits issued for this

Return to “General Discussion & News”