Biometric Residency Cards

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Biometric Residency Cards

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:18 pm

I wonder if this is going to include the new Biometric Residency Cards? Since companies are only just starting to bid it might take a little time. Based on my experience of military contracts I am sure working out who is going to pay the biggest bribe in order to secure the contract must take quite a long time?

Warwick

TweetTweet

Re: Biometric Residency Cards

Postby TweetTweet » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:40 pm

Will the system be the same as used for farm animals?

"Electronic Identification (EID) is the use of a microchip, or electronic transponder, embedded in a tag, bolus or implant to identify a farm animal. EID in animals is based on low frequency radio waves or Radio Frequency Identification (RFID). A reader sends out a radio signal which is picked up by the microchip. The chip sends back the unique identity number. The reader transfers the unique number to a computer which uses it to store whatever information is necessary about the animal being identified".

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:01 pm

I am told that the system is not expected to be working for about 4 months. Also that it will be used first producing biometric identity cards for Greek citizens so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for your new document. I haven't managed to discover if this information is reliable. I think the EU rules mean that all Greek identity cards have to be replaced by biometric ones by 2031 so they might get round to producing new cards for UK ex-pats in 2032?

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:58 pm

I've always assumed (so long as I prove to be eligible) that I'd be issued with a piece of paper 'in lieu' when the time comes. I am still of that view.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:40 pm

...or they just say that the existing blue and beige Residence Certificates continue to be valid until they are ready to issue the new documents?

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 am

Kilkis wrote:...or they just say that the existing blue and beige Residence Certificates continue to be valid until they are ready to issue the new documents?

Warwick

Yep. Just as likely, Warwick.

Tim

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:09 am

Kilkis wrote:...or they just say that the existing blue and beige Residence Certificates continue to be valid until they are ready to issue the new documents?

Warwick

That would be the easiest and most efficient option. Perhaps! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”