UK car to Crete Import cost?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
tomcourtney

UK car to Crete Import cost?

Postby tomcourtney » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:12 pm

Anyone have a ball park cost to Import and put Greek plates on a 2004 E320 Merc Estate valued in UK at around £1500.
Also Insurance / road tax.
Any examples of Import costs for cars of all sizes / values would be good.

tomcourtney

Re: UK car to Crete Import cost?

Postby tomcourtney » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:19 pm

Post Scriptum

We’re retiring to our house on Crete next month and will be driving over (Covid allowing) as we won’t put our blind dog in an aeroplane hold.
Question is what do we drive over as we’ll be on a tight budget till pensions come through in a couple of years.

shine on

Postby shine on » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:37 pm

Possibly a lot more than your car is worth, maybe things have changed but someone I knew had it done at cost of €2,500.
I personally would sell the car in the uk and buy a car in Crete, the paperwork to buy here is easy, you would be better off in a smaller car (especially in Chania) and of course the steering wheel in the right position. Oh and you would struggle to sell a right hand drive car here when you eventually come to sell it. If budget is tight, try Supercars for a second hand car, excellent car dealers.

If you have no option because of your dog, then I would drive your car here and see how much you would get for a right hand drive car, in exchange for a second hand car, it may be cheaper than transferring details on your Merc.
Last edited by shine on on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mathitis

Postby Mathitis » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:40 pm

Tom, I have sent you a PM.

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:19 am

Only listen to those who have done it , not those who assume it cost a lot of money . If you are moving here you would be supprised how little the cost would be . Best bet is to contact the Greek embassy prior to bringing the car over . As long as you have had the vehicle in your name at a uk address for at least 6 months it's not very much at all .

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:52 am

thebigbluecheese wrote:....... it's not very much at all .

Out of curiosity; Could you quantify how much is "not very much at all" and how you arrived at that figure?

john4d

Postby john4d » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:21 am

If you import a car for your personal use at 'very little cost' there used to be a condition imposed as to how long you had to keep the car before you could sell it in Greece. Is this still the case?
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:31 am

If you are moving your residence to Greece then you may be eligible for a CERTIFICATE FOR DOMICILE TRANSFER EXEMPTION. If that is the case then you are pretty much exempt from import tariffs on your personal possessions. That is what thebigbluecheese is referring to. Full details here. You will probably need to employ some sort of import agent to deal with the process at this end but the cost should be in the low hundreds of Euro including transfer of car registration.

If you do not qualify for the exemption then there is no import duty on the vehicle but there is a fee to transfer to a Greek registration. That is not a fixed fee but a percentage that varies with a lot of factors. The UK value of the car or what you paid for it is totally irrelevant. A Greek customs officer will look up what the vehicle would have cost in Greece when it was brought into circulation. If it was not sold in Greece he will make an estimate based on nearest models. My best guess would be around €55,000. If you look at today's models the price would be somewhere around €75,000. That is based on current models E200 about €62,000, E350 about €79,000, E220d about €68,000 and E350d about €83,000. Inflation from 2004 up to today would be somewhere around 37 % so divide €75,000 by 1.37 to get a 2004 price. He would then depreciate that price according to the age of the car. For a 16 year old car the depreciation would be 80% of the value so the effective price today would be around €11,000. Since the car is above 2,001 cc the fee is 88% of that effective price so around €9,500. That is an estimate so don't rely on it, consult an import agent. They shouldn't charge you much to tell you what it will cost.

You can bring the car for up to 6 months without transferring the registration so another option is to use it to drive down and get settled and then drive back to the UK and sell it there. That is what I did. If you intend to transfer the registration start the process immediately, do not wait 6 months and then try.

If you transfer it by paying the full fee then I think it will be on normal plates so in theory you could sell it at any time, assuming you can find someone who wants to buy a right hand drive car. If you transfer it through the exemption certificate then I think it will be on red plates and you cannot sell it for 5 years. There are many cars on red plates not just imports. Some Greek families qualify for a tax reduction on a new car and they are also on red plates and subject to the sale restriction.

I think that model is just under 3,000 cc? If so the annual circulation tax, equivalent to UK road tax, would be €840 per year. If it is above 3,000 cc then that rises to €1,050. If you become tax resident you would also be subject to a luxury tax each year but I don't know the amount. I always stick to cars less than 1,929 cc which are not subject to the luxury tax.

Warwick

PS Cars first registered after 31/10.2010 have a circualtion tax based on emissions not engine size.
Last edited by Kilkis on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomcourtney

Postby tomcourtney » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:39 am

Lots of good info.
Seems to cover all scenarios I should buy an older 1.9 car and employ an import agent to hopefully get an exemption as we are relocating to become residents.
Does anyone have an English speaking import agent’s number / email?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:49 am

I made a slight mistake in my original calculation so my estimate is a bit lower than when you read it but still not good.

Read the exemption rules carefully. For example I think you must have owned the car for at least 6 months before you relocate so buying another car now may not work.

Sorry, I have never used an import agent so no contacts. The agent will only deal with things at this end. You will need to go through the procedure at the UK Embassy end to get the exemption certificate yourself. People have reported that they don't make it easy and it can involve several trips to the Embassy, but I don't know if that is because they didn't do their homework. They might request documents carry an Apostille Stamp.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:45 am

I drove from UK to Crete with the intention of registering the Land Rover here. The Customs duty plus the taxes was not worth it, well beyond the value of the car. My advise is, if you do it, try and sell, as I did, to someone going back. With UK plates you will NOT be able to insure the car here and I am certain that your UK insurance will not cover the 6 months that you allowed to keep the car here.
If you have an accident here it could be very difficult for you compensation wise, the Police do not like cars that do not have a Greek plate.
Also much cheaper, also less stressful and safer to buy a car here. There are a number of on-line sites for Owners to sell their vehicles.
As has been advised. Driver it here if you must and then drive it back if you cannot dispose of it within a few months.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:47 pm

In general I agree with Mike's comment but I think it might be possible to get car insurance for the full 6 months if you search around. For example Sterling Insurance state:

Options for short term cover (one, two or three months) and long term (annual)

I suspect that many (all?) will cover you for up to 90 days if you don't need the full 6 months. Some (all?) might require you to still be resident in the UK but that shouldn't be insurmountable. When I came by car in 1997 my insurance company would only cover me for 1 month. Fortunately back then it was possible to insure a UK registered vehicle with a Greek insurance company. That option is no longer available.

Warwick

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 pm

mouche wrote:
thebigbluecheese wrote:....... it's not very much at all .

Out of curiosity; Could you quantify how much is "not very much at all" and how you arrived at that figure?

I've just sold my Citroen c1 imported from uk , cost to change plates uk to Greek 600 euros ... Friend of mine imported a year old vw estate from Germany last year , cost 500 euros . He paid a couple of hundred on top to use an agent

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 pm

Rule number 1, get it sorted before you arrive in Greece

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:41 pm

Even if you can import the car cheaply an E320 would be ludicrously expensive to run in terms of road tax and luxury tax (if resident in Greece). Don't do it.

Return to “General Discussion & News”