Residency

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Residency

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:34 am

As I said in a previous post: "Police stations tend to make up their own rules" so don't be surprised if there are variations.

Technically when you have lived here 5 years and you apply for the Permanent Residence Certificate you no longer need to satisfy the rules on healthcare nor having sufficient funds to support yourself. The police can satisfy themselves that you are still "legally" resident in Greece, however, when you apply and that means meeting the rules on healthcare and having sufficient funds so you may still be asked for such proof...or not?

Back in the days of the old Residence Permit I know of one person on Crete who walked into a police station with their passport and two photos and walked out with the permit in their hand. When I did it at a police station in northern Greece at about the same time it took me three weeks. I had to get documents from OAED, statements from my employer, statements from my landlady, my marriage certificate formally translated into Greek, a legal declaration that my wife and I were still married, my IKA book, provide 4 photos, no sorry we want 6, finally they took 5. The officer who was the only one responsible for issuing Residence Permits had to fax Athens to ask what he was supposed to do.

The old permits had an expiry period of 5 years. When I came to renew it, this time on Crete, the new system had come into force so I asked for the Permanent Residence Certificate. I was told I couldn't have it because I had let my old permit expire. I would have to have the initial version and then apply for the permanent one when I had had that for 5 years. I pointed out that I had been resident and working permanently in Greece continuously for 13 years and I could provide tax clearance certificates proving that but he wasn't interested. I took the initial certificate. A few weeks later he phoned me to say he had changed his mind and I could swap the Initial Certificate for a Permanent one.

The answer to the question "What do I need to provide" is "Whatever the officer asks you for".

Warwick

Joan

Postby Joan » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:42 am

I'm interested in if/how expats are obtaining private health cover to satisfy the requirements of their new biometric permits.
We currently spend just under 6 months a year in Crete, and would have no problem making that just over 6 months. We are tax-resident in the UK. We obtained our beige residency permits using (among a list of other things) our UK EHIC cards. When they finally expire on Dec 31st we will need something else. Advice welcomed.

Joan

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:18 pm

This was 1 year ago. I have no idea how implementation of biometric Id cards is progressing but the last sentence of the article may give a clue.

https://greekcitytimes.com/2019/04/19/g ... lines/?amp

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:08 pm

Joan wrote:I'm interested in if/how expats are obtaining private health cover to satisfy the requirements of their new biometric permits.
We currently spend just under 6 months a year in Crete, and would have no problem making that just over 6 months. We are tax-resident in the UK. We obtained our beige residency permits using (among a list of other things) our UK EHIC cards. When they finally expire on Dec 31st we will need something else. Advice welcomed.

Joan

I could have sworn that Stavros from insurance-greece.com had posted to the effect that his company offers an entry-level health plan specifically designed to satisfy the requirements of the biometric id scheme, but I've looked back through various posts and can't find it. It's possible that I imagined it because that seems to be happening more and more these days but it's definitely nothing to do with alcohol intake. Perhaps Stavros could comment? (re health insurance, not alcohol!)

Tim

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Joan wrote:I'm interested in if/how expats are obtaining private health cover to satisfy the requirements of their new biometric permits.

Joan

Hi Joan. Those of us who are classified as 'S1 pensioners' (i.e. get a state retirement pension from the UK} are allegedly OK because the UK government (NHS) in the Withdrawal Agreement agreed to continue to refund our medical costs to whatever the latest iteration of IKA is. We have AMKA numbers and that's it. Whether this will survive the test of time and Boris and his Merry Men who want to rip up the WA remains to be seen. If you can get a blue permanent residence permit before the end of this year, that should help. You don't actually have to be permanently resident it seems. Owning a property here is probably enough, although gurus on the forum will be able to give you chapter and verse. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Joan

Postby Joan » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:58 pm

Thanks for these replies.
We had to have AMKA numbers for our beige permits, so we have these.
Of course Boris and his current games worry us!
Joan

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:16 pm

Tim wrote:...I could have sworn that Stavros from insurance-greece.com had posted to the effect that his company offers an entry-level health plan specifically designed to satisfy the requirements of the biometric id scheme, but I've looked back through various posts and can't find it...

This any good?. Health insurance in Greece is quite tightly age limited but I think it is possible to get private health insurance in Greece up to roughly the age people qualify for UK State Pension when they should also qualify for an S1 Form and hence insurance here through EOPYY. With pension age steadily increasing there might be a small gap.

Having an AMKA number does not automatically mean you are insured for health cover. It is simply like an NI number that everybody has, or can get, unlike previous numbers that related to particular insurance schemes, e.g. IKA. In the online system used by doctors, hospitals and pharmacists they access the system using your AMKA number but it may show that you are not insured, in which case you would not be able to get free treatment or a prescription at reduced charges. Registering an S1 form would get your AMKA file tagged as insured.

In the case of private insurance I think it varies a bit, although I ahve never had it so I am not completely sure. In some cases you need to pay for the treatment/prescription and claim it back from the insurer. In others the doctor/hospital may bill the insurance company directly. Either way I think you need to get the treatment approved by the insurance company or you risk not being covered.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks, Warwick. I'm pretty sure that's what I was referring to. I remember it was somehow linked to residency. At least my mind's not playing tricks on me which means I'm not drinking too much. I will look into that policy closer to the time, being a mere stripling and not of pensionable age. For now, I'll look into opening a new box of wine!

Tim

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Tim wrote:

Joan

I could have sworn that Stavros from insurance-greece.com had posted to the effect that his company offers an entry-level health plan specifically designed to satisfy the requirements of the biometric id scheme, but I've looked back through various posts and can't find it. It's possible that I imagined it because that seems to be happening more and more these days but it's definitely nothing to do with alcohol intake. Perhaps Stavros could comment? (re health insurance, not alcohol!)

Tim

Hello Tim, thanks for the shout out!

Indeed there is a very basic and low cost plan available that meets the criteria of the residence permit office. The cost ranges from 90-130 Euros per year depending on age.

More details here:

https://insurance-greece.com/insurance- ... insurance/

tomcourtney

Postby tomcourtney » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:50 pm

Might be talking to Stavros soon, good info.

Update on our trip
Drove down to Ancona (2hrs) from Rimini after an enjoyable evening there.
Check in was a nightmare, lots of very angry people struggling with the Covid formalities, particularly the FLP form.
Cabin prices were horrendous, so booked Business class airplane seats. What they didn’t tell me was our dog was not allowed in the Business Class area, or the Lounges or mostly anywhere :(
He was only allowed outside on the top deck so one of us was going to freeze all night and my wife wasn’t happy. Ended up getting a deal on a pet friendly cabin (€210 on top of the €270 ticket we had)
No choice though, glad we had the cabin now.
Ferry from Ancona arrived in Patras almost 3 hrs late.
No chance of making our connection at Piraeus, so re booked for the Sunday night Crete ferry and staying in a very good hotel in Piraeus tonight. Triton Hotel is just off the port and at £41 for a lovely balcony room including breakfast, it meets all my Scottish criteria :)
Post Scriptum
Checking in at Ancona everyone was temperature checked on entry.
They were random testing for Covid at Patras which would mean one day quarantine there awaiting the results. Did our best to look healthy and got through but people selected didn’t look happy...

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:45 am

[quote="Kilkis"

In the case of private insurance I think it varies a bit, although I ahve never had it so I am not completely sure. In some cases you need to pay for the treatment/prescription and claim it back from the insurer. In others the doctor/hospital may bill the insurance company directly. Either way I think you need to get the treatment approved by the insurance company or you risk not being covered.

Warwick[/quote]

Until my private insurer pulled the plug on me this year, I certainly had to get the proposed treatment 'approved' before the event. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:47 am

You were lucky the Ancona-Patras ferry sailed at all. I think there was supposed to be another big storm moving across the Adriatic/Ionian sea. It was pretty windy in west Crete yesterday. I am having a pergola rebuilt and the guy doing it had to give up for the day.

Ferries being cancelled is a pretty common occurrence in Greece so you always need to factor that in to any schedule. I've had it happen to me twice now and I sail very rarely. In both cases it was the previous day's ferry coming in the opposite direction that was cancelled so there was no ferry to catch. They don't run it late when the wind has dropped, you have to wait for the next ferry, which isn't always the next day. For example when my ferry from Thessaloniki to Heraklion didn't arrive for a Tuesday sailing I had to wait until Thursday for the next one.

Apart from pet friendly cabins, I think dogs are only allowed in outside areas. There is usually an outside café somewhere so you can go there and eat. I always book a cabin. I used the aircraft seats once, because all the cabins were booked, and people were talking, coughing, belching, snoring and farting all night. Never again.

Warwick

shine on

Postby shine on » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Kilkis wrote: I used the aircraft seats once, because all the cabins were booked, and people were talking, coughing, belching, snoring and farting all night. Never again.

Warwick

After all this time I thought no one had heard me.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:35 pm

Last time we used the Ancona-Patras ferry, all the dogs were confined to the top deck for exercising and there was something like a giant cat litter tray for their defecations. Unfortunately some kids thought it was a sandpit for playing in .... :shock:

Maud

Postby Maud » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:45 pm

I hope you also sorted out your Piraeus to Crete crossing with your dog before you sailed Tom? I have only just read your post above, so I am too late to remind you that you would need a pet cabin on that crossing as well. I know some people leave their pets in their vehicles, but as your dog is blind I am not sure if that would work for you.

Return to “General Discussion & News”