LivinginCrete.Net Forum Forum Index LivinginCrete.Net Forum
Visit the Living in Crete website WWW.LIVINGINCRETE.NET for the best information on living, working, retiring and buying property in Crete. FORUM. MESSAGE BOARD. JOBS, BUSINESS & LONG TERM RENTALS

HomeHome   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OTE Internet Connexion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LivinginCrete.Net Forum Forum Index -> Computers, TV and Internet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nita

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: OTE Internet Connexion Reply with quote

For the last three days my internet connection (via OTE) keeps cutting out and, very frustratingly, it takes dozens of attempts to reconnect. I've had probably every error message that exists so they are of no use. For the majority of the time the lights on the modem for ADSL and power are on, although the ADSL light does tend to flicker and on occasion is out.

Could this be a problem with OTE, is anyone else having problems? Or could the problem be with my equipment? Help / suggestions please in simple English!!
lshall05

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nita

I had a similar problem with our broadband. I checked with our ISP and they said there were no problems with our line and checked with BT and they said there were no problems either.

My brother suggested checking the website for our make of router and see if there were any firmware updates for the router. It turned out that there were. I had to use my pc at work to download the updates, put them on my memory stick to transfer them to the laptop to then go in and update it. I can't remember exactly what I had to do but I think I had to put the router address in IE and then find the instructions for updating it (I think I printed stuff off the website). It took me a couple of attempts but I've had no problems since - apart from after putting XP back on the pc (wanted to erase the hard drive) and now I can't connect to the router!!

Hope you get it sorted.
Carolina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having problems here with OTE in Akrotiri or at office between Souda and Kalives.
Could be your modem? But what do I know! will leave it to the experts to reply Wink

Also want to say that OTE did a great job with a new ADSL connection in Apokoronas. I applied by phone last Friday and received connex modem today. It's all up and running now so took less than a week excluding the Bank Holiday Monday.
paulh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ote have put out about 20 types of router in the last 2 years. Which particular one do you have?

We had a thunderstorm about 3 nights back...and how long has your router been playing up?

I am not aware of otenet problems in your area at the moment and usually I am.

The thing to do is get a group of you with similar connections in the local area and then if you get problems you phone around to see if they have too. If they do its likely an ote problem.

whatever it is I can sort it if it is your problem or I can confirm for you that it is an otenet problem so no good changing things on your system.
Kilkis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My OTENET connection, which is usually very reliable, got a bit iffy a few days ago. Kept disconnecting for no apparent reason and sometimes failed to reconnect first time. Seems to have recovered now. Never did find out why.

Warwick
nemhacese

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our OTE broadband has been painfully slow for about the same amount as tiime as you have been having problems although we aren't getting disconnected.

Julie.
paulh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the descriptions you are giving sound very similar to the conditions Forthnet customers (but on OTEnet lines) had here on Akrotiri about 3 weeks back. It happened on a Monday and I waited 3 days for it to be corrected automatically. In that time I phoned around and found others had the same problem. It wasn't corrected so we put in a formal request for it to be resolved to Forthnet on the Friday and by the following Wednesday it was back to normal. Maybe it would have been resolved anyway we don't know. But maybe OTE are rolling out some new equipment which means for a period of time while the new stuff is being installed people normally connecting through different lines are all squeezed down the same line. That would give the sort of symptoms you are describing.

Best way I can describe our symptoms was that it would connect (but that is a very small packet of data) but as soon as you tried to pass any significant volume of data up or down the line it took an age or fell over. (one page of this forum would take 3 to 5 mins to load). I went on dial up just to get reasonable speed!

Phoning the OTE help lines rarely gets a informed response because you are answered by a call centre in Athens or Heraklion who don't know what the engineers are doing in your area.

It is not a general OTEnet problem because I would have heard if Akrotiri or Apokronus OTEnet customers were getting less than normal service (and of course Carol says above).

Thats the best I can do for now, I'll phone a few OTEnet customers west of Chania see how their services are and let you know the answers
Nita

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies, does sound as if possibly it's a problem with OTE in this area, although my neigbour has had no problems whatsoever. Managed to connect without problems early this morning but by 9:00 a.m. it had cut-out again, only now, nearly two hours later, managed to reconnect.

Did think about phoning OTE's helpline but the memory of doing this once before put me off!!!
paulh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you go on at 9am there are not so many people on so it performs. A couple of hours later there are a lot more people on and if you are all being pushed down the one undersized pipe then you get data lost and timeouts and the connection falls over.

Typically you will find 6pm until 10 pm bad too but say 3:30pm could be better (no ok just better). Middle of the night it could be reasonable too.
paulh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March 19th midday and our internet connections have just fallen into exactly the pattern you describe as a problem.

Am having to use dial up to get on.

The router logs in and is talking to the exchange but there is no data going up and down and when Google doesn't appear on 3 different machines you know something is amiss. Add to that antivirus won't update and it cannot download emails and its OTE playing up again (I am a Forthnet customer but of course I have to use OTE lines)

Microsoft Vista service pack 1 to download at dial up speeds is 17 hours plus. Somehow I don't think so!
Nita

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the last two days I've had very little problem, only disconnected once yesterday although it took three or four attempts this morning to connect, so far today no more problems. Having said all that I've been busy elsewhere, might be a different story if I was using the system more.
altohb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nita wrote:
During the last two days I've had very little problem, only disconnected once yesterday although it took three or four attempts this morning to connect, so far today no more problems. Having said all that I've been busy elsewhere, might be a different story if I was using the system more.

We can't connect via Forthnet ADSL at the moment (since Friday). Local Forthnet office says that it is an OTE upgrading problem (Sitia Area). Is anyone else round here having trouble with it - we are in the middle of changing to Forthnet's 2Play service, so wonder if that has anything to do with it, although the guy in the shop says not.

H
paulh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 99% certain it is part of an OTEnet upgrading. ( just haven't seen it in writing yet) The 768 speed is being discontinued and lowest now (or soon will be) is 1024. People on 768 are being automatically upgraded to 1024.

Though it is OTE upgrading the exchange equipment it affects all ISP's as here on Crete we all run on OTE lines. With mine (Forthnet) it was a 2 or 3 day outtime but that did not include any weekends or public holidays
Carolina
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulh wrote:

here on Crete we all run on OTE lines.

Maybe not for much longer?
I heard a rumour that the cables which are currently being laid all over Akrotiri and elsewhere are for 'free internet' Laughing Laughing Laughing

(Don't go taking that seriously now... )
paulh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought people knew what those cables are for.

Its for the various departments of the Dimos, the University and the Hospitals (including the new one at Pithari) to be linked by fibre optic so they don't need to travel to see each other they can transmit video conferencing and video phones and thus be more efficient and productive. A huge dollop of the cost is from the European funds,

Look where the cables have been laid to see who is going to benefit. Joe Public will see absolutely zilch from it.

What are the bets all the kit is installed and never used. Wouldn't be the first time would it......talking of which....any idea what is happening regarding the big, incomplete and unused swimming pool ..(ready for the 2004 Olympics)? Now ok thats maybe gone t*ts up but wouldn't it's shop and office space currently unused, have been ideal Demos buildings instad of the new complex opposite the old buildings in Pithari.

Mind you I reckon we could be world champions at hiding half built velodromes in the middle of nowhere

Excuse me I seem to be in twitter and bisted mode tonight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LivinginCrete.Net Forum Forum Index -> Computers, TV and Internet All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: