Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Jean

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby Jean » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:29 am

It looks like the English version is well out of date. No more translation required and only one photo needed. i also don't think that I paid as much (last summer) as is mentioned (82 – 108.15 euros). I think that it was more in the region of Euro 30-40 but Caroline might remember that one better.

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:02 am

I changed my driving license in August of last year,through the KEP office by the Magistrates Court.As I was over 65 I needed 4 photos,1 for the Doctors certificate,1 for the Opticians certificate and 2 for the licensing department.I paid around 10 euros each for the Doctors and Opticians certificate and about 108 euros (can't remember exactly)for the license.

Phild

Postby Phild » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:56 am

Carolina wrote:
I have just had a search online Phil and only found conflicting information on the Ministry website, but it looks like the 185 days may be the latest info, I'm afraid.

The English version is here http://www.yme.gr/index.php?getwhat=1&o ... d=&tid=537

...and even the English version also states...

Photocopy of a valid establishment or residence permit or other equivalent document, if applicant is not a Greek national, issued at least 185 days before the application or 95 days if applicant is a national of the EU or Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein and which will still be valid until the day of reception of the Greek driving licence. (My emphasis)

So, thanks for searching for the information above, Carol, but it looks like bureaucracy has made our decision for us (as usual), and we will have to get the IDP, in person, from a British Post Office (we live in a fully connected world, after all) - and there's us trying to cut down our carbon emissions too.
----
Phil
----

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:32 pm

From the wording on the RAC website it says you can apply through them before the 31st January only so maybe you don't have to make a trip to the UK just yet?

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driv ... ng-permit/
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:14 pm

I believe that the IDP issued by the RAC is not the correct version for Greece. There are two conventions as discussed earlier in the thread. The UK is a signatory to the convention under which IDPs are issued for Spain, for example, but will not be a signatory to the one suitable for Greece until the end of March 2019. I could be wrong.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 pm

To clarify my previous post:

There are three types of IDP: The 1926 Convention, the 1949 Convention and the 1968 Convention. The RAC issues the first two but nobody issues the third one yet in the UK. The post office will start issuing them after 31 January 2019. No country in the EU uses the 1926 Convention type. Ireland, Malta, Spain and Cyprus require the 1949 Convention type. The rest of the EU, including Greece, need the 1968 Convention type. The RAC cannot issue that type. The RAC will stop issuing all types after 31 January 2019. If there is no deal and UK driving licences are no longer recognised in EU countries you will need an IDP issued under the 1968 convention in order to drive in Greece on a UK licence.

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:37 pm

Kilkis wrote:I believe that the IDP issued by the RAC is not the correct version for Greece. There are two conventions as discussed earlier in the thread. The UK is a signatory to the convention under which IDPs are issued for Spain, for example, but will not be a signatory to the one suitable for Greece until the end of March 2019. I could be wrong.

Warwick

From the RAC website linked to by scooby -
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permits-and-brexit/

RAC wrote:Which IDP will I require?
1949 IDP: If you are travelling to Ireland, Malta, Spain or Cyprus, you may require a 1949 IDP. The 1949 convention IDP is valid for 12 months.
1968 IDP: If you are travelling to all other EU states, you may require a 1968 IDP. The 1968 convention IDP is valid for three years, or for however long your driving licence is valid, if that date is earlier.
1926 IDP: A 1926 IDP is not required in any EU state (though you may require it if your onward travel is to Iraq or Somalia. Brazil also recognises this version

Plus:

RAC wrote:Presently, the RAC issues the 1949 version of the IDP, alongside the Post Office, however from 1st February 2019, you will only be able to get IDPs from the Post Office.

You will be able to apply for all three types of IDP (1949, 1968 and 1926) at 2,500 Post Offices across the UK. The UK Government will announce which Post Office branches will offer IDPs in early 2019.

According the the AA webpage
https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp

AA wrote:The Government has confirmed that if there is ‘no deal’ then mutual recognition of driving licences between the UK and EU may end.

So, of course, it's not a 'done deal' yet that UK licenses will not be recognised, and as previously noted, the UK has decided that EU licenses will be valid, so it's a possibility that the EU states may well allow this freedom as well.

Who knows?
----

Phil

----

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:11 pm

Talk about being bloody complicated.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:16 pm

scooby wrote:Talk about being bloody complicated.

so what is your answer scooby ...

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:
scooby wrote:Talk about being bloody complicated.

so what is your answer scooby ...
I don't see why there is the need for two IDP's for countries that are in the EU?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:51 pm

Because, contrary to what is often portrayed, the EU is a collection of 28 independent sovereign states. There is only uniformity where the EU, and that means the 28 sovereign states through their elected leaders and their elected MPs, has decided it would be of benefit to the EU to have uniformity.

Thus the design of the EU licence and all the rules around it are defined in an EU Directive and all countries conform to them. That makes life simple for everyone. You get a licence in your own country and then you can use it to drive anywhere in the EU without having to get an IDP.

The EU couldn't care less what individual member states want to do about IDPs when it comes to driving licences from outside the EU so there is no uniformity. There is no need to have different rules at all but that is what happens when countries act independently. The EU could impose a uniform rule on IDPs but then it would be taking away sovereignty unnecessarily from member states. It's called subsidiarity. Arguably it isn't used often enough but sometimes when it is used it doesn't really help at all.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:56 pm

Kilkis wrote:Because, contrary to what is often portrayed, the EU is a collection of 28 independent sovereign states. There is only uniformity where the EU, and that means the 28 sovereign states through their elected leaders and their elected MPs, has decided it would be of benefit to the EU to have uniformity.

Thus the design of the EU licence and all the rules around it are defined in an EU Directive and all countries conform to them. That makes life simple for everyone. You get a licence in your own country and then you can use it to drive anywhere in the EU without having to get an IDP.

The EU couldn't care less what individual member states want to do about IDPs when it comes to driving licences from outside the EU so there is no uniformity. There is no need to have different rules at all but that is what happens when countries act independently. The EU could impose a uniform rule on IDPs but then it would be taking away sovereignty unnecessarily from member states. It's called subsidiarity. Arguably it isn't used often enough but sometimes when it is used it doesn't really help at all.

Warwick
Yup, idiotic.

Voni

Postby Voni » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Extract from the very latest advice on International Driving Licences. See the link for more info.

“Driving in the EU and EEA from 29 March 2019

If there is an EU exit deal, UK licence holders will be able to continue to drive in all EU and EEA countries using their UK driving licence.

In the event that there is no EU exit deal, the government will seek to put in place new arrangements for EU and EEA countries to recognise UK driving licences when people are visiting, for example on holiday or business trips. Until such arrangements are in place, UK driving licence holders may also need an IDP to drive in EU and EEA countries.”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/internation ... =immediate

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:36 pm

Published today, advising any Brits living in the EU who are still driving on their UK Licence to exchange it now.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46865094

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Going back to the topic of renewing Greek licences, got a paper today from the Licensing office in Chania, via KEP, entitling us to drive until 9th April. The lovely lady in KEP says that means they will call us, sometime between now and then for our driving tests. Oh joy! Watch this space. (PS: licences expire 9 March). Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”