Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Sinkingslowly

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby Sinkingslowly » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:09 pm

Kilkis wrote:
Do those categories matter to you? If you continue with a UK licence how hard is going to be for you to get an IDP every 3 years? If at some point in the future you are forced to exchange it how do you feel about taking the full Greek driving test, including the written part in Greek? You need to weigh up all the pros and cons.

Thanks for the info, I've checked everything that looks like it will fall away and to be honest they won't bother me (I can't remember the last time I used a pedestrian operated track laying vehicle).

I will want to keep motorbike, car and car with trailer but I guess that's up to the authorities.

I'll be back in a couple of days to start again.

It did strike me as a little odd that she said "your UK licence doesn't expire until 2024, just keep using until then" :D

frankmand

Postby frankmand » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:39 pm

Kilkis wrote:

Do those categories matter to you? If you continue with a UK licence how hard is going to be for you to get an IDP every 3 years? If at some point in the future you are forced to exchange it how do you feel about taking the full Greek driving test, including the written part in Greek? You need to weigh up all the pros and cons.

My wife checked on the UK Post Office site, and it said that the IDP only lasted for 1 (one) year.

Do you have another source of information?

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:03 pm

I think a lot of this links back (yet again) to the thorny problem of who is resident (in Crete) and who isn't, and how is this defined. The rules for driving on a UK licence after Brexit (with or without a deal) are quite different depending on where you live.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:17 pm

frankmand wrote:...My wife checked on the UK Post Office site, and it said that the IDP only lasted for 1 (one) year.

Do you have another source of information?

Try the Post Office IDP Web Page, put Greece into the box and click the red Check button. Yous should get the following reply:

You will need an International Driving Permit 1968 to drive in Greece

Permit valid for 3 year

The 1926 and 1949 permits are valid for one year. It is possible that the person she asked has issued 1926/1949 permits in the past and has never issued a 1968 permit, since the UK has only just started issuing them. In fact when you get one you will probably find it isn't valid until 30 March 2019 because I believe that is when the UK becomes a signatory to the 1968 convention.

Tim wrote:I think a lot of this links back (yet again) to the thorny problem of who is resident (in Crete) and who isn't, and how is this defined. The rules for driving on a UK licence after Brexit (with or without a deal) are quite different depending on where you live.

Tim

Not quite. It relates to where the licence was issued. If you have a UK licence issued by DVLA then you will need a 1968 IDP issued by a UK post office to drive in Greece. If you have a Greek issued licence then you won't. Obviously it relates to where you tell the authorities you live since DVLA can only issue licences to a person who declares a UK permanent address and the Greek authority can only issue licences to a person who declares a permanent Greek address. Where you actually live and where you tell the authorities you live may not be the same.

I do agree with you, Tim, that telling different parts of both the UK and Greek authorities different things may at some time cause problems. For example, if it ends up with a bilateral agreement between the UK and Greece on residency rights or if there is no agreement at all and we have to plead individually for the right to stay, then the checks may be more thorough than when the authorities knew we had the right to be here under an EU wide Directive. I know that some accountants keep their customers non-tax resident by the simple expedient of telling the tax authority that they are only in Greece for a short time each year. I know of one case where two months was used, although the person was completely unaware that their accountant was doing that. Living here for a few months each year does not qualify as being permanently resident. If the authority issuing the new permits cross checks with the tax authority it is possible that such people would not qualify for the new permit. I am not saying that this will happen simply that trying to live different existences can result in problems.

Warwick

toastie

Postby toastie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:36 am

when you apply for a greek license. what happens to the uk one. do the kep office keep it or send back to dvla or do i keep it as it doesnt expire until 2023.

also should i return to uk in the future is it easy enough to reapply for another uk license?

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:38 am

I'm in the early stages of exchanging mine but I believe that KEP will take your driving licence at the point that your new Greek one arrives. I can only assume that they send it to the DVLA but don't know.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:49 am

You have to hand it in when you get your Greek licence and the Greek licensing authority should return it to DVLA. If you go back to the UK you should be able to go through a licence exchange procedure similar to the one in Greece.

My original UK driving licence had on it a Driver Number consisting of the first 5 characters of my surname, a space, a six digit number that appears to be my date of birth with one number transposed, i.e. instead of yymmdd it is ymmddy with the second y being moved to the end, and a five character code containing both letters and numbers that don't seem to have any relevance to anything I can recognise. If you look closely at your new Greek licence it should have on it, at bottom left on the side with the driving categories, a code consisting of the categories you are licensed to drive, a two digit number and the first two parts of the UK Driver Number from the UK licence followed by "UK". Therefore, DVLA should be able to reference back to your original UK licence from that code. I am not sure if they will automatically restore the categories you lost when you got the Greek version.

Warwick

toastie

Postby toastie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:56 pm

thanks for the help and advice.

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:11 pm

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:15 pm

Midlander wrote:Tests started today for over 74.
https://flashnews.gr/post/384944/ksekin ... s-diplwmat

Excellent. Just about to apply for the first extension to our 'temporary' papers. Maybe we will get the licences before July??? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:34 pm

If anybody is taking it I would love a report back on what is involved, in as much detail as they can manage. Good luck to all who take it.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:40 am

Kilkis wrote:If anybody is taking it I would love a report back on what is involved, in as much detail as they can manage. Good luck to all who take it.

Warwick

I have heard, second hand, that it involves driving around the large car park to the rear of the licensing office. Like you, would like to hear more about it before my turn comes! Bob.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Further to my last, we went to the licensing office in Mournies this morning to get an extension to our paper-in-lieu-of-licence, and confirmed that the test for the 74 and over people is all done in the car park behind the building, and is 'Very Easy'. Still no prospect of our having our licences in time for the UK visit in June. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:57 pm

Thanks for that Bob.

If you have hired a car from a UK company in the recent past and they have a photocopy of the licence you are trying to renew on record, you might get away with using the temporary extension licence that Greece is issuing now. No guarantees but perhaps worth asking in writing, e.g. email, with copies of relevant documents attached and an explanation of what the problem is. You might also find some companies are more flexible that others but try to get the reply in writing. The person issuing the hire car won't be the one you communicate with.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:36 pm

Kilkis wrote:Thanks for that Bob.

If you have hired a car from a UK company in the recent past and they have a photocopy of the licence you are trying to renew on record, you might get away with using the temporary extension licence that Greece is issuing now. No guarantees but perhaps worth asking in writing, e.g. email, with copies of relevant documents attached and an explanation of what the problem is. You might also find some companies are more flexible that others but try to get the reply in writing. The person issuing the hire car won't be the one you communicate with.

Warwick

Good idea on the face of it Warwick, but see mega problems if I have to produce a licence if stopped by the police in the UK! Bob.

Return to “General Discussion & News”