Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bobscott

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby bobscott » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:37 pm

evansmr1 wrote:Has anyone heard any more regarding the Medical tests for those over 75 years?. I am still waiting, my Greek Temporary Licence has now expired as has my UK licence.
My visit to the Office in Ag. Nik just got a Greek shrug and I was told to come back week commencing 6 January, but not on the 6th as it was a Holiday.

Almost 1 year now since my application.

Not sure what you mean when you say Medical tests for those over 75 years. As far as I am aware, there is no change to medical tests at that age, from previous years. There is the rule that says once you turn 80 you have to see a psychiatrist as well as a GP and an ophthalmologist. I still think that the rule about taking a basic driving test at 74 was overturned when Syryza was replaced by ND earlier in 2019 but that's all I can think of. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:44 pm

evansmr1 wrote:Has anyone heard any more regarding the Medical tests for those over 75 years?.

A medical test and an eye test are compulsory every 3 years from the age of 65 in Greece, not 75, and have been for many years. As Bob says, from 80 onwards you also need a psychiatric evaluation as well as the medical and eye test. As Theresa May would say, "Nothing has changed", at least in the last 10 years and probably longer, so I am not sure why you would be expecting people to have "heard any more"?

If you have been waiting a year it sounds like something has gone badly wrong. The longest I ever had to wait was 8 weeks. What process did you go through? For renewal of an existing Greek driving licence, the normal procedure is to get 3 e-Paravolo, one for €18, one for €30 and one for €50. I got these from KEP but you can print them off your self if you know what you are doing. You take these to any bank and pay them. They each have a payment code so I am guessing that you could use online banking to pay them but I don't know what proof you would then have so I prefer to use a bank. You then get 4 suitable size photographs. You go to an approved GP and take a medical test and an approved ophthalmologist and take and eye test. KEP gave me a list of approved doctors. Each of them will require one of the 4 photographs that they attach to the certificate saying that you have had the test. You then take everything to the Driving Centre, or in my case I use KEP, together with your passport, your driving licence and your Residence Permit and complete the application form. You then get given a certificates showing that you have submitted an application and all necessary documents and that serves as a temporary driving licence. I think the procedure is pretty much the same if you are changing from a UK licence to a Greek one except you may (will?) also be asked for a translation of your licence. Was all that done?

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:58 am

Kilkris wrote
A medical test and an eye test are compulsory every 3 years from the age of 65 in Greece, not 75, and have been for many years. As Bob says, from 80 onwards you also need a psychiatric evaluation as well as the medical and eye test. As Theresa May would say, "Nothing has changed", at least in the last 10 years and probably longer, so I am not sure why you would be expecting people to have "heard any more"?

I should have stated, my first Greek Licence, not a renewal.
Yes I went through Paying for an eye test and a Doctor to agree that I was still alive. I paid all the fees having obtained the Documents from KEP. I was awaiting the theory and driving test. October or November, I cannot remember which month , I visited Madam Hitler at her Office in Ag, Nik. to complain of the delay. She advised me that the two tests were no longer required, all that was required was a stricter medical. I asked if there was a specific Doctor that I should visit. She replied that Parliament has not decided on the Medical tests to be undertaken. I was issued with a temporary paper licence with an expire date of 31/12/19. Visiting, before the expiry date, I requested an update. I was greeted with a Greek shrug.
I was hoping that someone in this Forum may have more updated information as the Lady in the Lasithi Office is a total waste of space as is the Ag.Nik KEP.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:58 pm

I am not aware that a stricter medical is needed but I will be going for my medical at the end of January to renew my Greek licence so I will ask the doctor what has changed. Until then I can't really help. I would have thought that the doctor who did your first medical would know? Have you thought of going back and asking there?

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Kilkis wrote
I am not aware that a stricter medical is needed but I will be going for my medical at the end of January to renew my Greek licence so I will ask the doctor what has changed. Until then I can't really help. I would have thought that the doctor who did your first medical would know? Have you thought of going back and asking there?

A sensible idea, but I have not. The change from theory and Driving tests to a new Medical was, I believe, introduced late 2019 in order to fall into line with the rest of the EU. But as usual, they think of the change without deciding the new requirement fully.
I will go and see Mrs. Hitler (Jobs Worth) at the Ag.Nik Lasithi Office this coming week. She did promise to telephone me once she had the up to date information. Thankfully I did not hold my breath.
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:16 pm

evansmr1 wrote:
Kilkis wrote

A sensible idea, but I have not. The change from theory and Driving tests to a new Medical was, I believe, introduced late 2019 in order to fall into line with the rest of the EU. But as usual, they think of the change without deciding the new requirement fully.
I will go and see Mrs. Hitler (Jobs Worth) at the Ag.Nik Lasithi Office this coming week. She did promise to telephone me once she had the up to date information. Thankfully I did not hold my breath.

The test (practical only, no theory) was introduced early in 2019 if not late 2018. Our licences expired in March 2019 so seeking to be well prepared, we submitted them for renewal in January. Sadly, testers were on strike (nationwide) for a couple of months which led to a backlog. We eventually got called for our test in June and got the renewed licences in July. During that time we were unable to drive the car from May until the date of passing the test, because some bright spark decided not to renew the licence extensions after May! Τη να κάνουμε? Bob.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:24 pm

ABC (All Been Changed.
I went to the Lasithi Office in Agios Nikolaos ready to have an argument with the Clerk in the Driving Licence Office.
For Drivers over 74, in particular new applications one had to have an Eye test a very simple Medical, Translated by a Solicitor UK Licence details and pay for a Theory Test and a Driving test. Late last year the rule had changed to conform with the rest of the EU. That was to have a full Medical test, without the need for a Theory or Driving test, But as at November 2019 the Greek Parliament and the Greek Medical Doctors had no idea on what the Medical examination should include.
November 2019 I was issued with a temporary licence that expired 31/12/2019.
ABC. Today I received mt full Greek licence backdated to 28 January 2019, valid for 3 years, (I am now 76). I did not bother to ask what has changed, just happy that I can drive legally.
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:11 am

evansmr1 wrote: Today I received mt full Greek licence backdated to 28 January 2019, valid for 3 years, (I am now 76). I did not bother to ask what has changed, just happy that I can drive legally.

Congratulations! Bob

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:30 pm

I got confirmation from another KEP office today that NO practical test is needed to renew a Greek licence at 74. She said that the process is exactly the same as the last time I renewed 3 years ago.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:24 am

I had my medical this morning and it was certainly no more rigorous than it was the last three times that I renewed. It wouldn't have been surprising if it had been since the pathologos I regularly use and who knows my medical history no longer performs this test so I had to use a doctor who had only seen me once four years ago. He measured blood oxygen level and pulse rate, listened to heart and chest, and asked a few questions that doctors usually ask. He did check the form he had filled in three times to make sure he had made no mistakes and commented that the driving licence authority was the most highly bureaucratic of all Greek government departments, which is quite an accolade.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:33 pm

As it looks like I won't have to return to the UK thanks to the WA, I'm just contemplating getting a Greek driving licence. If I do it now, will I have to renew in a few months time when I'm 65? If so, I might as well leave it. Any ideas??

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:54 pm

Depending what you mean by "a few months", I would ask at KEP what your options are.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the Withdrawal Agreement about driving licences so I presume it could be an issue for the future arrangement. If so I presume that it should still be OK to exchange it at any time during the transitional period, so you could wait until nearer your birthday, but I don't know that for sure. KEP should know when it ceases to be an option.

Alternatively you might be able to do it now, taking the medical and the eye test, so that it should last three years from the date of application. Mine originally aligned with my birthday but I renewed it early. I used to go back to the UK around my birthday and needed to hire a car so I wanted to make sure I had a licence with me. Licences in Greece always run from the date of application not from when the old licence expired. If you can do it early to renew an existing Greek one I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do it early to exchange a UK one but you never know. I refer you to the comment made by the doctor this morning.

No harm in asking.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:00 pm

BST wrote:As it looks like I won't have to return to the UK thanks to the WA, I'm just contemplating getting a Greek driving licence. If I do it now, will I have to renew in a few months time when I'm 65? If so, I might as well leave it. Any ideas??

Yes I got my Greek licence in the summer of 2018 'cos we were going to the UK to visit my partners 90 something year old mother ...and I wanted to hire a car to do the ferrying around ...My old UK licence had my old UK address so I thought I might as well get it sorted just to save any agro from the hire company .So I did the change over and four weeks later it showed up in the licensing office in Sitia ..Manos Phoned me I popped in to pick it up .. The new licence was until November 2018...? ...I said why ? Manos said well that's when you turn 65 In November . Dhhhhh.I had to do it again plus the eye test and health check and another four weeks wait .So if you can wait until you get to 65 ...and save 30 euros

BST

Postby BST » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:03 pm

Thanks for that. I'll wait to do it probably.

Return to “General Discussion & News”