UK v Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Jeffstclair

Re: UK v Greek Driving Licence

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu May 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Yes , that is kind of the response I got from DVLA. when I asked about hiring a car on a visit back to the UK using my UK license...as long as the hire company has your real Greek address it's fine and DVLC would not prosecute ...

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat May 19, 2018 10:38 am

I'm totally confused by this thread.

Jeffstclair wrote:Yes , that is kind of the response I got from DVLA. when I asked about hiring a car on a visit back to the UK using my UK license...as long as the hire company has your real Greek address it's fine and DVLC would not prosecute ...

Yet DVLA state that you must tell DVLA when your address changes, if you’re moving abroad you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence 'and you can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA when your address changes.

On thε EU Europa site - https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/v ... dex_en.htm
Obligatory exchange
When living abroad, you will have to exchange your driving licence for a local one:
- after 2 years of usual residence, if you have a driving licence valid for life (only if required by the country where you live)

Kilkis wrote:
As far as I am aware Greek law and UK law regarding driving licences should be harmonised under the EU Directive

Warwick

Seems not everything about the law is hαrmonised? re the above "only if required by the country where you live"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 19, 2018 12:00 pm

There are often derogations for individual countries in EU Directives and that can make them confusing. Often the Commission gets almost complete agreement on a Directive but some member states disagree on a specific issue. To get round the impasse the Directive will typically give an overall requirement with a provision that member states can deviate on that specific issue. It might place limitations on how far they can deviate. The country specific information for Greece on the web page linked by Carol does not specify any deviation from the general rules. I guess the only way to find out is to ask a lawyer what the Greek law actually says. Individuals must obey the law of the country not what it says in a Directive. Any difference between the Directive and the law in a particular country is an issue between the Commission and the government of that country.

DVLA have confirmed directly to many people that the law requiring you to notify any change of address ONLY applies if you are changing your address within the UK. If you move abroad they do NOT expect you to notify them of the change, as they wouldn't be able to register it, and they will not prosecute for failure to do so. They regard your UK licence as still valid up to its expiry date.

The web page linked by Carol states:

If you change your residence to another EU country, you don't usually have to change your driving licence. You can use your current licence as long as it remains valid...

...If you move to another EU country and your EU driving licence expires, you will have to renew your licence in the country where you usually live.

This suggests that people who renew their UK licences using the address of a friend or relative in the UK are not obeying the law.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”