Cicadas-love em or hate em?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
blueskies

Cicadas-love em or hate em?

Postby blueskies » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:40 pm

Was in Naxos recently and having lunch under the shade of a cedar tree very close the beach. The cicadas were so loud we were having to shout! I like the sound at a distance but not up close and personal. I’ve heard they are particularly fond of pine trees but presumably they live in the olives too. Is it better to live in an areas with not so many trees ie scrub. Anyone know any more?

PS if you haven’t been to Naxos we really liked it and the best beaches I’ve ever been to in Greece...the turquoise colour was amazing.

Yin&Yang

Re: Cicadas-love em or hate em?

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:01 pm

I don't know their preference but they do like trees, includng mulberry trees but then they move over to your pergolas etc. I don't think it is easy to avoid them during the summer months.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:00 am

It's all citrous trees near me, mainly orange, and there are plenty of cicadas so they are not overly fussy.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:20 am

At my favourite watering hole they live and chirp away happily amongst the canopy of vine leaves above the tables. Not fussy, as you say Warwick. Just a b****y nuisance! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Love 'em. Unfortunately my advancing years have reduced my high frequency hearing range, so they have to be damn loud for me to notice them much.

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:24 am

To me, they speak of Crete - at times wonderful and at other times frustrating!

I had a cicada that used to attach itself to my balcony wall and sing away regardless of what I was doing. I like to think it was the same one every day and we became friends in that we tolerated each other. Not here this year. In fact, I haven't heard them at all yet. Maybe my hearing and maybe the number of doves that seem still to be courting. Plenty of trees close by.

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:24 am

To me, they speak of Crete - at times wonderful and at other times frustrating!

I had a cicada that used to attach itself to my balcony wall and sing away regardless of what I was doing. I like to think it was the same one every day and we became friends in that we tolerated each other. Not here this year. In fact, I haven't heard them at all yet. Maybe my hearing and maybe the number of doves that seem still to be courting. Plenty of trees close by.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:34 am

I haven't heard any yet this year either, John. Possibly not hot enough?

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:48 am

We have heard them since a few days, but not plentyful (yet). Today, however, they all seem to have gone quiet.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:14 am

We've been hearing them for about a week and their noise is gradually becoming louder and closer. I also see them as part of Crete and only become frustrated with them when one flies through an open car window ... Just a little distracting!
Someday is now : )

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:29 am

we have had all our olive trees cut to the bone this year on advice. to help the growth for future years and it is noticeable that we have no Cicadas this year but they are in the lane through the olive groves leading to our property...
Dave H

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 am

We are coming up to Summer Solstice, where I live that's usually the time they start to reach constant background music. Just to say if you want to know how many Cicadas are hanging out, apparently unseen, walk through an olive grove early in the morning and if they are there, you will have the honour of being *urinated* on (watery sap called xylem). :)

Return to “General Discussion & News”