Internet connection for visitors

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
jane clayton

Internet connection for visitors

Postby jane clayton » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Can my visitors buy an internet connection for a short time or a limited amount of data for their tablet from Vodafone or Cosmote when they come to stay?
If so, what's it called and what does it cost?
I'm sure this has been explained before, but I can't find the link.
Thanks

Kilkis

Re: Internet connection for visitors

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:40 pm

If their tablet has a 4 G SIM built in then I think you can buy data packages. If it hasn't a 4G SIM then a 4G WiFi modem is probably best for a tablet. For a laptop you can get a 4G USB modem which I think is cheaper than the WiFI type. I think Vodafone, Cosmote and Wind have similar deals. I haven't done it myself but I know people who have. Easiest to go in a shop and ask what is available. If you know which network has the strongest signal in your area it might be best to use them.

Warwick

Roussa

Postby Roussa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:29 pm

If they have a mobile phone contract in another EU country it might be cheaper to get an additional monthly package and even a second SIM card.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:09 pm

They'll need to show ID (passport) to buy & register a Greek sim card in their name, even for a pay-as-you go sim.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:14 pm

I would have thought it would be better if Jane bought the 4G modem in her name and the visitors simply paid for time on it, especially if she has more than one set of visitors each year? I know one set of villas, which doesn't have access to landline broadband, where the owner has provided the 4 G modems and the visitors pay for the package on a PAYG basis.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:17 pm

I guess you must be talking about paying guests ?...When we have friends or family to stay we set up a guest link to our WIFI so while they are at the house they use that for work related stuff or keeping in touch with home ...there is loads of free wifi when in town in most bars , tavernas , or cafes...most folk are pleased to be away from all that ...When my daughter comes her phone is switched off for the time she is here ....

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:59 am

All assistance given so far by responders correct, and you would probably need to be the one to purchase. If still interested ( no response noted from yourself ? ) presuming your friend's' tablet has a USB port, the USB Stick / Dongle / Modem for example from Wind shall cost about 45 Euros, the relevant loads for their stay would be 5 Euros for 1Gb or 15 Euros for 6 Gb both valid for one month's use. The 1Gb should be fine for email and normal browsing but any streaming including Skype video can use up the allowance in dramatic fashion.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:26 pm

I am not sure that the port on a tablet would power a 4G dongle? That is why I recommended the 4G WIFi version if they wanted to use it with a tablet, since it comes with its own power supply. You can also position the modem to get best 4G reception. It is a bit more expensive.

Warwick

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Ah yes … and looking into it further, there seem precious few Tablets that sport a USB slot … certainly mine does not have one - however I have used a Wind USB stick very successfully on a laptop. So anyway, the prices for access are the same for access with the mifi modem which is ( as mentioned elsewhere ) another tenner more to buy than the stick - if the "visitors" really need access on top of what ( as Jeff advises ) Jane can provide and the free wifi generally available at most every bar and taverna, even at the beach, and then there is fiddling with a smart phone using the excellent roaming allocation. Hoping they enjoy their holiday, give them a couple of days, they may even forget the internet exists for a while !

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:09 am

If you have mobile data on your phone, you can link it to your tablet - `tethering'
https://www.howtogeek.com/170302/the-htg-guide-to-tethering-your-android-phone/

john4d

Postby john4d » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:19 pm

My UK Mobile phone operator does not allow tethering outside of the UK
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:58 pm

john4d wrote:My UK Mobile phone operator does not allow tethering outside of the UK

Get a Greek SIM :-)

jane clayton

Postby jane clayton » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks for all the replies, so far. Our visitors went to Hania to check this out and have been told they need a contract for the amount of monthly data they would like. They don't have a tax number, obviously so that poses a problem and the contracts are much longer than six month, which is what they wanted. Still puzzling over what to do for the best.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:21 pm

Cosmote pocket Wifi from any Cosmote or Germanos shop -
https://www.cosmote.gr/eshop/global/gad ... cale=en_US

It's pay as you go but need passport to register the sim card. Above deal includes 50GB / 6 months usage.

Top ups are 10 euros for 2GB or 25 euros for 10GB.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”