Heraklion Airport

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Clio

Heraklion Airport

Postby Clio » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:17 pm

I read somewhere the other day, in a piece obviously inspired by a PR handout, how Hellenic Duty Free Shops have invested 13 million euros in refurbishing Heraklion Airport. "Which means", said an arriving friend sourly, "That they've removed most of the seating and replaced it with more shops".

That friend didn't mention the aircon problem, but two separate visitors have done so in the last few days. The airport, they said, was sweltering, and people were suffering badly from the heat during the wait for baggage reclaim. There was apparently no air-conditioning, which seems astonishing given the revamp.

Anyone else experienced it, or know if it was just a glitch?

Kathleen

Re: Heraklion Airport

Postby Kathleen » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:38 am

As far as I am aware there was no change in arrivals when I came out in May and my sister who came over two weeks ago never mentioned any problems. Her luggage arrived quicker than expected!

On her return last week a she was pleasantly surprised in departures. After a quick check in with Thomas Cook they had a choice of about fifty seats and the aircon was fine. Duty Free has been re vamped. There is a second passport control now, however, before getting to the gate and boarding.

She did say that there was work still in progress, Maybe that had something to do with the lack of Aircon in baggage reclaim at the time your visitors arrived.

Kathleen

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:45 am

I'm not sure there has ever been air conditioning in the two baggage reclaim halls at Heraklion, or if there has, it's never been very efficient. The arrivals area past baggage reclaim has been improved slightly, by amalgamating the two exits and rearranging the car hire desks, but the departures check-in area is still the hell on earth that it has always been. However, as a previous thread pointed out, the departure lounges are much improved, even though passengers now need to weave their way through the duty free shops to get there -- like most airports. I think it is still a work in progress, but I am still bemused that so much money has been spent on it when there are (apparently) plans to relocate the airport to the former military airfield at Kastelli, inland and east of Heraklion.
Last edited by Mixos on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:58 pm

I've been through late April and early June - I think they (who ever *they* are) have modeled it on nightmare Gatwick, but obviously as a scaled version. In April qeueing to buy a small bottle of water and then having to produce the boarding pass p***** me off somewhat. The airport has followed the *Bank* business model to whit *it is the Bank's/Airport's experience that is important - not you mallaka whose funds/travel we like to control and exploit*.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:24 pm

I've never understood why flying gives people an irresistible urge to buy perfume? It's usually cheaper at discount shops in the UK and even sometimes in Greece, e.g. Hondos Centre when they have an offer on. The same applies to watches and jewellery. Back in the day I did buy spirits because they were massively cheaper but those days are long gone. I once bought a tablet but only because I was looking to buy one anyway and I spotted the particular one I wanted at a reasonable discount to Amazon etc. It's not just that the distance is extended by the new shopping layout but the fact that people meander through them in a dream that multiplies the irritation.

Warwick

PS A bit unfair to blame Gatwick? Aren't they all based on IKEA?

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Yeah I'm with you on that Warwick...I never understand why folk load themselves up with extra stuff to carry and fit in the overhead locker things , with stuff you can get just about everywhere ..I always prefer to travel light ...

john4d

Postby john4d » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:52 pm

How to hijack a perfectly good thread.

After a hard Brexit won't we get our Inter Europe Duty Free Back & Duty Free Alcohol?
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:24 pm

I'm not sure I understand the "hijack" comment in this case, John. The original post was, at least in part, about Hellenic Duty Free shops. Surely comments about those shops and how they operate are valid?

If some people are to be believed, there won't be any flights between the UK and the EU, or possibly anywhere else, after Brexit so the whole issue of what duties are applied will be irrelevant.

The term "Duty Free shop" is a misnomer. No shop at a border has ever sold goods "duty free". At best they give a very small discount on the normal retail price because they can reclaim the duty if the product is being exported. The discount is a tiny fraction of the duty they reclaim. In many cases the goods are more expensive than in normal shops.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:41 pm

easyJet appear to be getting around the no-fly problem by having formed a separate wing (pardon the pun) called easyJet Europe.

As to duty free prices, have just returned from Portugal. A bottle of tawny port in the 'winery' is selling at €10 while at the duty free shop in porto the identical bottle from the same 'winery' is on offer at €11.75. If the winery was doing 'special' there was no mention of it there. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 am

Clio wrote:.....That friend didn't mention the aircon problem, but two separate visitors have done so in the last few days. The airport, they said, was sweltering, and people were suffering badly from the heat during the wait for baggage reclaim. There was apparently no air-conditioning, which seems astonishing given the revamp.

Anyone else experienced it, or know if it was just a glitch?

It's done to help visitors acclimatise to the heat outside............ They're full of helpful ideas at Heraklion airport.

Andrew

Return to “General Discussion & News”