Google Translate

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
johnincrete

Google Translate

Postby johnincrete » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:41 am

I have a block of text in Greek. How do I get it translated by Google? Instructions as for a complete ignoramus please.

peebee

Re: Google Translate

Postby peebee » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:08 am

https://translate.google.com/
cut and paste the text into the window.
If it is printed text, rather than computer text, and you have a smart phone, the G.T. app allows you to take a photo of the text and it will translate it on your phone.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:34 am

Well the first question is in what form is the block of text? Typically, if it is on a web page then you can select it, copy it, paste it into Google translate. Usually it will auto-detect the source language and select English as the language to translate into. If it doesn't you can select them manually. You can also select and copy the URL of the web page and paste that into Google translate but it doesn't always work. If the block of text is in a word document or a Notepad file the above method will also work.

PDF files are a bit more difficult. I find that if you simply select, copy and paste into Google translate text from a pdf file it appears as total garbage. Personally I use an OCR program called IRIS to transform the pdf file into a Word document and then copy and paste that into Google translate. There are online web sites that will do this for free.

Google translate is a lot better than it used to be but it is still far from perfect. If you select short sections of text and paste them into Google translate it gives you the opportunity to select alternative translations if the first attempt doesn't make sense.

Warwick

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Google translate is a lot better than it used to be but it is still far from perfect

You can say that again and in reverse.

My favourite mega-taverna has menus with the usual quaint but adequate multi-language translations, but a Google-speaker has clearly had a hand in the very different English-language version of the menu on the taverna's website.

Some gems:

Shellfish Polish
Rabbit on the Nest
Lamb's Lambs
Pork Slate Facing
Arni is Opposed to Amari
All Nonsense
Holly Bublets

and my personal favourite: Suffering Climbers.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Two alternatives are Babelfish and Bing translator but I haven't really used either of them. Based on a very limited test I suspect they are all using the same translation engine but I could be wrong. Also I think you can set the Chrome browser to automatically translate foreign language web pages but I have no experience as I don't really like Chrome. Since Chrome is owned by Google I would imagine there wouldn't be any advantage over using Google translate in another browser such as Firefox or Edge.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:31 am

Thanks all.
I had the text as a Word document having copy/pasted from Facebook (which did not translate it).. The resultant Google translate is not good. I need to try to learn more Greek!

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”