Skype Update

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Skype Update

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:19 am

Following an email from Skype I have just updated from Skype 7 to Skype 8. Skype 7 is scheduled to stop working on desktops on 1 September 2018. If you haven't upgraded by then you will lose everything.

A word of warning. The new version was very easy to get working BUT it wiped out all my contacts and my chat time-line. I'm not really bothered about the time-line but I now need to start building my contacts list again. According to all the information on the upgrade it is supposed to synch all your existing contacts and your chat time-line to the new version but mine has lost everything. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that Microsoft expects you to link your Skype account to your Microsoft account and if you haven't done that then it doesn't synch. Personally I don't synch contacts between applications. It might be convenient to do so but I then have no control over what the owner of the application is doing with those contacts. My main contact list is simply an email address book in Thunderbird stored on my own computer so no other app has access to that. I had a quite limited number of contacts on Skype. Nothing anywhere else at all.

Warwick

EDIT 11:41 30/07/2018

PS I did some more searching and I haven't lost everything. I used my email address to log into Skype but the log in was performed by Microsoft. It seems to have started a new Skype account with my name as the user-name and that email address. I finally managed to find a record of the original Skype account and in that account my user-name has a full stop between the Christian name and the surname. I signed out and signed back in using that Skype user-name instead of my email address and everything was back to normal. Before upgrading make sure you find out what your exact user-name is and sign into the new version using that. Obviously make sure you also know what your password is.

Yin&Yang

Re: Skype Update

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Useful stuff Warwick; I shall take heed.
Someday is now : )

BST

Re: Skype Update

Postby BST » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:39 pm

I gave up with Skype about 12 months ago after I discovered it had been taken over by Microsoft. As a Mac user I don't have a Microsoft account, shock horror! I found my contacts were still there but couldn't access all my credit without a Microsoft account. I managed to open a Microsoft account but they still couldn't sync with my missing credit!!! In order to try and find my credit, I had to answer masses and masses of questions up to a point where I thought I was being seriously scammed! The response was... NOT ENOUGH INFORMATION,! At that point I gave up and lost all my credit! Why bother when there's WhatsApp, Messenger, Face time and plenty of other excellent alternatives? Stuff Microsoft!

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”