Piraeus Bank ATM Withdrawal Charge

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
P&B

Piraeus Bank ATM Withdrawal Charge

Postby P&B » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:06 pm

I have been using a Halifax Clarity Mastercard to make cash withdrawals for the past 5 months. Almost all of the withdrawals have been made at the Piraeus Bank in Kalyves and I have never been charged for the service. Today when I tried to make a withdrawal at the Piraeus ATM in Kalyves I was prompted with a charge of EUR 3 and the option to proceed Yes or No. I proceeded to walk down the road and make a withdrawal at the Co-Op ATM at no charge.

I can't find anything on the internet about Piraeus introducing charges for ATM use. Has anyone else encountered this or have any information?

Kilkis

Re: Piraeus Bank ATM Withdrawal Charge

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:27 pm

A lot of discussion about a similar, but not quite identical, issue on an earlier thread.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:56 pm

To me, the easiest thing to do would be to go Piraeus Bank in Kalyves and ask. Kostas the manager, whose desk is at the far right hand end of the banking hall will know. He's helpful, knowledgeable and if you need to use English, his is excellent.

kvsteele

Postby kvsteele » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:38 am

In the last few weeks I have been charged 2 euros each time I made a withdrawal from an ATM at banks in Heraklion and Neapoli using a Canadian card. This has never happened before. This is of course on top of the charges I incur with my Canadian banks.
Moved onto Crete finally...It's been a long wait

stevemartin911

Postby stevemartin911 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:00 am

Yes me also first time ever at the national bank of Greece in Malia, they offer a conversion which they profit from, as do most which I never accept of course, so I assume this is now another way of extracting money from us ?

tartanbeat

Postby tartanbeat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:34 am

Yes, this happened to a couple of my Caxton card withdrawals back in February - I think it was a blip then because the charges were refunded, and at that time, at no point did the ATM 'tell' me it there was to be a charge.

This is different, but it does seem ATM withdrawal charges are in force at some banks here. We have been informed on the display of a charge at Piraeus (EUR3) and Eurobank (EUR2.50), for the last week or so now. So far, in Chania, Alpha and Bank of Chania have not charged (maybe a matter of time?).
Slainte, Iain

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Slightly off topic but related: I pay the phone bill on-line through Alpha Bank and last time, for the first time I was charged €0.30 for the privilege! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:39 pm

Same here, Bob. Up to the latest bill all the COSMOTE payments show "no charge". The latest had a €0.30 charge, which is the same as ΔΕΥΒΑ water. ΔΕΗ is €0.10. All with Alpha.

Warwick

BrizoH71

Postby BrizoH71 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:13 am

Happened with my Caxton card as well in the Piraeus ATM in Analipsi, and the Euro Bank ATM in Hersonissos. Having spoken with Caxton about it, it is a charge on the bank's side and not Caxton.

Piraeus is the only bank ATM in Analipsi (they have two), the rest are Euronet ATMs which I know charge already.

STEVE.W

Postby STEVE.W » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:56 am

This may be worth a look if you have a UK address https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/

Don't know if the local banks will apply the charges mentioned in the various posts but worth a try. The lock card function could also be useful and it would seem it is very good to use all over the world along with a transfer/exchange function to foreign banks which seems to be slightly cheaper than TransferWise.

Steve
Expat TV Services & Setup - PM for details

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:17 am

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:46 am

Original ekathimerini article. I am posting it for the last sentence, which isn't in the Apokoronas News version. With around 45 % of their total loan book classed as Non-Performing-Loans it isn't really surprising that they aren't making much profit from interest.

Warwick

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:05 am

Yes 2-3 Euro charge at ATM on international credit/debit card

1.30-2.20 Euro charge on Greek card used at different bank to own.

14-18 cents charge to check account balance at different bank to own.

john4d

Postby john4d » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Are there any charges on pre-paid cards?
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:53 pm

I think it's a decision by the Greek banks to levy a charge on foreign cards so it doesn't really matter what sort of card they are. Effectively they are charging you for using their ATM. I could be wrong.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”