The road to Zakros

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Guy M

The road to Zakros

Postby Guy M » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:33 am

We are going to Zakros this weekend. Any recent experience of the road there (either from the North or South coasts).Thanks.

Jeffstclair

Re: The road to Zakros

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:49 am

The road is good in both roads these days ...its tarmac all the way from Ziros past Hametoulo down to the coast at Kisirokambos and now I think from there through to Zacros ...its a lovely drive with stunning views ...καλό ταξίδι....

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:52 am

Brilliant. Can’t wait - we are staying in Kate Zakros and it looks like heaven.

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:05 pm

It is heaven!

The road is good. We drive it in a 7.5 m motorhome. (We drive to Kriti in the ‘van’ and use it for ‘holidays’ when we are there). Kato Zakros is always a place we visit. Make sure you go down to Xerokambos as well. There is a wetland nature reserve for birds, and a lovely unspoilt coastline again!

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:08 pm

Yes, there's a good blacktop road all the way to Kato Zakros now, Guy, with a choice of the long and scenic route from the Ziros plateau via Xerokambos, as Jeff describes, or via Paleokastro and Zakros. Both offer a stunning drive. A word of advice if you're planning to lie on the beach.. there's very little shade apart from a few tamarisk trees at the back, so you might want to pack a beach parasol! There are some good beachfront tavernas and the ruins of the Minoan palace are definitely worth a visit if you like that sort of thing.

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:27 pm

One of the tavernas had a few beach umbrellas out the last time we were there Mixos, but I am not sure it is a regular occurrence. It is good advice to have ones own anyway!

We usually do the route from the South Coast to the North Coast... but only because we always start our journey from home on the South. If you have time and are walkers Guy, the gorge is certainly worth doing.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:51 pm

Yes ,another vote for the gorge...and the palace with the cisterns with little turtles ....

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:17 pm

The Valley of the Dead gorge is certainly worth the walk, but probably not in August? Years ago we walked it from the top down, planning to get the bus back up the road, only to discover there were no buses on a Sunday! Had a good lunch then traipsed all the way back up again. No way I could manage that these days.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks for the really helpful advice - this is a much happier thread than the ones on Brexit...

Maud

Postby Maud » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:09 pm

If you decide to walk it Guy, walk down rather than up. I would probably also avoid it in August, but if you do decide to give it a go, make sure it is at ‘crack of dawn.’ - You will be glad to have a dip in the sea at the end of it!

I think you should be able to find one of the locals would provide a ‘taxi service’ up to the top. - Just ask in one of the tavernas. In fact, I am sure a couple have signs outside!

Have a great time.
Last edited by Maud on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:51 am

Yeah Kato Zakros is a special place ... It's very relaxed, nice beach with a flock of sea ducks and a small chapel cave with paintings. We had a few holidays there in the old days, one of our favourite places In fact it is where we planned our escape to Crete years ago ...have a great time ...

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:41 pm

Well, you are all correct- it’s lovely in the East. We stayed at Yiannis’ Retreat in Kato Zakros - a steal at €60 a night. The only beach i’ve ever been as good as Xerocampos was in an equally isolated part of Mauritius years ago - and you couldn’t have a mud bath there.

Amazing the difference between West and East Crete despite the similarities - this feels a bit what Apokoronos was like 20 years ago but without the big towns. If for some reason I ever have to go on the run, you’ll have to make a bit of effort - i’ll be somewhere on the very edge of Crete, in a hammock with a book.

Maud

Postby Maud » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Glad you are enjoying it Guy. Have you found all three beaches at Xerokambos?

We know a German chap who has been travelling to Crete twice a year since the late 1970’s. He stays for two weeks at Kato Zakros each time, and two weeks down near us. - He does a lot of walking and swimming, so both locations are perfect. There are still a few of us who try to get right away from everyone!

Don’t hang your hammock on the tree with my name on it!!!!!

Enjoy!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:00 pm

Maud wrote ..... Glad you are enjoying it Guy. Have you found all three beaches at Xerokambos?

There is at least 5 beaches at Xerokambos ....but that is all I'm saying ....

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:02 pm

We know them all Jeff.....but like you.....

It is also why I never post where we are on Crete!

Return to “General Discussion & News”