wedding on Crete,

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
td23

wedding on Crete,

Postby td23 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:43 pm

Hi,

Looking to get married on Crete in 2020, and we are at the very beginning of our planning.

I understand that as a Brits we have to go to a registry office first, but wondering if we would be able to have a ceremony in a church which we visited last year.

The church is the little one on the sea front in Gouves, not sure of its name?

Hoping its possible, and if so does anyone have any information regarding how we would go about it?

Thanks.

evansmr1

Re: wedding on Crete,

Postby evansmr1 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:47 am

Hi, I am a Wedding Photographer, retired on Crete and have photographed almost 100 weddings here over the past 9 years. I very much doubt that you will be permitted to wed in a Chapel or Church unless you are of the Greek Orthodox faith, even if it is privately owned . I have only known 1 non Greek wedding to be performed in a private chapel.
However, you may be permitted to use the grounds of the Chapel/Church. I have attended quite a few weddings in Church grounds.

If I can be of any further help please do not hesitate to contact me. mrephotography@hotmail.co.uk
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:33 am

As far as I know you can only undergo a Greek Orthodox wedding if you are first baptised in the Greek Orthodox faith. I know two couples where one was Greek Orthodox and the other wasn't and the non-Orthodox half was first baptised in the Orthodox faith. In one case the wife-to-be acted as the godmother at her future husbands baptism.

I attended one Orthodox wedding where the best man and woman were not Orthodox and that was not a problem but they couldn't follow the tradition of being godparents to the first born because they weren't Orthodox.

It isn't absolutely necessary to be married at a registry office in the UK first but I would recommend doing so. It is possible to do the whole wedding in Greece but you will be asked for a shed-load of paperwork, all translated into Greek by a translator approved by the Greek Embassy and all notarised. That does not come cheap. It is much easier to do the legal part in the UK and just have a religious blessing in Greece.

If you do opt to do it all in Greece, normally the legal part of the wedding would be done at the town hall but I did attend one wedding where the relevant person from the town hall attended the wedding venue and performed the civil service there. They then went to the town hall a few days later and signed all the documents and collected the certificates.

The two UK weddings I've attended here were performed at hotels with an Anglican priest carrying out the blessing service. The reception was at the same hotel. In one case the parents of the groom, who live on Crete, organised everything themselves , which was a lot of work. In the other case the parents of the bride used https://weddingincrete.gr/ to organise everything and were very satisfied with the service they provided.

Good luck

Warwick

Jason64

Postby Jason64 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:23 pm

All correct Warwick. Unless things have changed in the Uk, you would still need to go to a registry office also (town hall) for the registry but also as there are no orthodox church’s in Uk that register you also, there was one in Golders Green but I think that is of another faith now.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:50 pm

https://weddingincrete.gr/
They cater for the west side of the Island not the east.
The Town Halls in Heraklion and also in Hersonissos are very helpful. I believe that it has become much easier and cheaper than 3 or 4 years ago.

My advise would be to visit one of the above Town Halls and ask to speak to the Wedding coordinator, both speak English.
You will need duplicate copies of Birth certificates Parents wedding certificates. If either of you have been divorced you will need these documents. I advise 3 copies of each. Usually the Mayor or Assistant Mayor will carry out the Wedding at your chosen location.
If you choose a Hotel they usually have a Wedding Coordinator . You may find this route the easiest. Means that the wedding ceremony will be in the Hotel, but it will be less stressful for yourselves.
Generally it is much cheaper to get married here, also you have the perfect location for your Honeymoon.
Should you need the Services of a Photographer, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:26 pm

Jason64 wrote:...Unless things have changed in the Uk, you would still need to go to a registry office also (town hall) for the registry...

Why would that be necessary, Jason? My understanding is that the marriage certificate issued by the town hall in Greece would be valid in the UK, although UK organisations would probably require a translation. For example, a Greek couple married in Greece would not need to go to a registry office in the UK would they?

The town hall in Chania would not accept the English documents, Evansmr1. They insisted on notarised translations and would only accept translations from a translator on the approved list of the Greek Embassy in the UK. Obviously I cannot speak for other council offices.

Warwick

Jason64

Postby Jason64 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:44 pm

I was always under the impression that a marriage needed to be registered, and thought a certificate from the church was not adequate. When my wife and I married we had to marry first in a registry office and then we went to the Orthodox Church for our ‘proper’ wedding, as the church didn’t do the registry bit, and as we never wed in the Golders Green church this had to be done seperately.

ST THOMAS KEFALAS

Postby ST THOMAS KEFALAS » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi
Take a look at the Anglican Church of St.Thomas in Kefalas Apokoronas Crete, Wedding blessings page. full contact details are on our website

http://www.theanglicanchurchincrete.co.uk

Kind regards
David Hurley.
Reaching our Community through the Gospel Message

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:06 am

Jason64 wrote:I was always under the impression that a marriage needed to be registered, and thought a certificate from the church was not adequate. When my wife and I married we had to marry first in a registry office and then we went to the Orthodox Church for our ‘proper’ wedding, as the church didn’t do the registry bit, and as we never wed in the Golders Green church this had to be done seperately.

I think there is some confusion here, probably because in the UK different rules apply to different religions. As far as I know:

1 Normally in Greece for Orthodox Greeks the religious marriage is carried out in the Orthodox Church and the civil registration of the marriage is carried out at the town hall.
    2 If the couple are not both baptised in the Orthodox faith then an Orthodox church ceremony is not possible and only the civil registration can be carried out. A religious blessing can be carried out by a priest of whatever faith the couple profess but not in a Greek Orthodox church.
    3 In the UK a wedding performed in an Anglican church includes the registration of the marriage. There is no need to go to a registry office.
    4 In the UK a wedding carried out in a church of any other faith would also require a civil registration of the wedding at a registry office.

td23 has a choice. Either get married at a registry office in the UK or get married at a town hall in Greece. That fulfils the legal part and he/she doesn't need to do both. He/she could then have a blessing performed in Greece by a priest of whatever religion they profess but not in an Orthodox church unless they are both baptised in the Orthodox faith. As a slight variation the relevant member of staff from the town hall might be prepared to attend the venue where the blessing is taking place and perform the spoken part of the civil ceremony there. They would still need to attend the town hall to complete the paperwork.

My feeling is that doing the civil part of the ceremony in the UK at a registry office and then just having the blessing in Greece is the easiest route.

Warwick

PS There may be some leeway in the above but I don't know for sure. For example when my late wife died the Orthodox Bishop in Chania would not allow the local church to be used for the ceremony nor for the local Orthodox priest to officiate in any way. The priest had to supervise the internment but was told that he must not wear his formal vestments but must only wear his everyday clothes. The church bells could not be rung. In a village about 20 km from me a UK ex-pat was buried by the local priest in the local church using the full full Orthodox service. That parish did not come under the Bishop of Chania. Clearly discretion occurs but how far discretion can stretch I do not know.

Jason64

Postby Jason64 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:07 am

Nah no confusion, it’s probably just my English not very good, your points/rules 1 and 2 are exactly the same in Uk.

paul g

Postby paul g » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:06 am

The little church in Gouves on the seafront is St Constantine's. Close by is the Anfield bar and just around the corner is Phillipos taverna, both highly recommended.

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:38 am

Have sent you a pm
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

BW

Postby BW » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:52 am

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:13 pm

BW offered http://www.gamoscrete.com/

The questioner wanted to get married in Eastern Crete not West Crete.

My advise was to get married in one of the larger Hotels. Most have a Marriage Consultant . It is generally not possible to marry in a Chapel or Church in Greece unless you are orthodox . I know the Chapel in question, I photographed a wedding there 3 years ago. That is, outside of the Chapel, we used it as a background. The Ceremony took part just outside of the main door which was permitted to be be open during the ceremony.
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

Return to “General Discussion & News”