south crete 2nd hand shop?

Are you looking for tradesmen,doctors, computers, cars, home and garden services, shops, accountants, lawyers, insurance, leisure services etc in Crete?
Ask a question or add a business or a useful service.
lDm

south crete 2nd hand shop?

Postby lDm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi all, can anyone recommend & pass contacts of a 2nd hand shop in south Crete?
/ alternatively anywhere Rethymno region but not town centre (impossible to park / long walk).

We have a very full suitcase + bits to donate, excellent quality clothing that will fetch good sales (think labels, smart dress etc).

This is not the kind to donate for refugees, though for that we have an even bigger suitcase and likewise seeking where to drop off (recommendations also welcome) - probably at Spili church..

Searching web & across this forum + asking people so far no results.
Help! We go away in 10 days.

lDm

Re: south crete 2nd hand shop?

Postby lDm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Ps. Driving to Apokoronas / Agios Nikolaios is just too far, I know about the places there. North Rethymno area would be already a stretch but happy to go if we can rest assured dropping off easy, and all items will find afterlife! (not waste disposal)

scooby

Postby scooby » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Just sat here thinking why no good for "refugees"?
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:43 am

I know the OP asked for contacts in South Crete but I don't have any information about there , however this is the contact number for the Refugee office in Sitia who may be able to help ..28433 00674 ...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 am

Since
lDm wrote:Ps. Driving to Apokoronas / Agios Nikolaios is just too far,...
I wouldn't think Siteia is going to be acceptable, Jeff?

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Yeah I thought that but maybe the Sitia office can put the OP in touch with a more local refugee office ...I guess they must communicate with each other ....they could also try here http://www.creteforlife.com/

lDm

Postby lDm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:32 pm

scooby wrote:Just sat here thinking why no good for "refugees"?

as I was saying, (think labels, smart dress etc). It doesn't strike me that people who escape for their life (conditions) & barely make it over the water, are interested in tailored vintage / office-suit & blouses fashion.. it's not being condescending but just realistic assessment.
and also as said, there's a separate, bigger suitcase with more casual clothing & house wares etc

lDm

Postby lDm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:Yeah I thought that but maybe the Sitia office can put the OP in touch with a more local refugee office ...I guess they must communicate with each other ....they could also try here http://www.creteforlife.com/

Thanks Jeff! I already tried contacting the central org. for charities / refugees to be referred to local ones, but seems nothing closer than there (Sitia). Given the length of drive just not possible. So I think we'll go to the central church and see if they can accept for the needy.

It still doesn't solve the seeking a 2nd hand shop, I had a tip for Rethymno (old town), so will inquire.. I heard from someone about a charity that collect good quality clothing for sale (supposedly in south Crete, not the social supermakret in Apokoronas) and profits go to charities, but don't know anything beyond that and cannot find anything searching the web. Hence I was hoping someone here might know..

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:44 pm

The shop in Rethymno town is called Magic Corner http://rethymnoguide.com/magiccorner/index.htm. The deal there is that they sell items for you, in return for part of the proceeds. They open at ten in the morning, and if you aim to get to Rethymno a bit before that it should be possible to find a space in the central car park. From there it's not too far to trundle a case (tourists do it all the time) through the Megali Porta arch into the old town. Agia Varvara street is the second actual road on the right hand side, and the shop is at the far end on the right.

The snag is that they only accept items of clothing in season, so it's no use taking winter coats now. And they may reject things for other reasons, so you may end up carrying some things back to the car.

As far as I know they don't deal with donations as such, but they do use a charity outlet for clothes that have either been abandoned at their shop or are no longer wanted by the owners. I assume this is via the Greek Church, and I have also in the past given good quality used clothing to Greek friends who pass it on discreetly, via the church, to a good home. So Magic Corner may be able to point you towards an outlet for your second caseful.

There is a refugee relief organisation in Chania but the last I heard they were inundated with clothes and said they only wanted other kinds of donation like medicines. There are however many indigent Greeks who would be glad of what you have. People are proud, though, so it's best to be discreet with second-hand things: a bag left in Rethymno would be less remarked-on than one taken to Spili church.

The other possibility is the animal charities. I'm not involved with any but I have friends who are, so if you get really stuck, you can PM me and let me have stuff to pass on.

lDm

Postby lDm » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Clio wrote: shop in Rethymno town is called Magic Corner

Clio, I appreciate all those details, thanks!
Ironically I was calling them earlier today; the lady sounded doubtful that she would take on all as is (or perhaps my misinterpretation), and we just want to avoid the hassle of going with different things to different places.

We already donated to spili church, that seemed fine, we asked one day, and next came & left a clearly signed suitcase.

That was the plan also for these (tailored, smart & yes, warm stuff like wool / leather jackets ) clothes, just with a 2nd hand shop.. I noticed they now have an announcement about looking (more specifically) for 'unused' house items, vintage.

I also contacted the neighbouring 2-shop seller, who knows.

Clio wrote: they do use a charity outlet for clothes that have either been abandoned at their shop

I assume the church shop is the one small one on the corner of that lane, with icons etc. Either way, if anyone has any more info - it's appreciated. I would have assumed to the extent of 2nd hand shop owner sorting through things donated, some for sale - others to give away (donate further along).

Clio wrote: many indigent Greeks who would be glad of what you have. People are proud, though, so it's best to be discreet with second-hand things: a bag left in Rethymno would be less remarked-on

I now do wonder if we should simply leave that intended suitcase likewise (labelled and next to entry), just to avoid the hassle of being stuck inside for long time of looking at & sorting.. and then having to go one more round (or more) of trying to donate the rest.

(this may not sound polite, but gifts us crucial time with a long to-do list prior to leaving Crete)

Return to “Shops, Doctors, Professionals, Suppliers & Services”