Water Shortage

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Water Shortage

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:41 pm

In case anybody is in any doubt that water shortage on Crete is real, below is a translation of a letter I received from ΔΕΥΑΒΑ, the water company supplying my area:

Dear consumers of water

Based on the data of 35 meteorological stations that are established in the entire region of Crete, the rainfall in the last seven (7) years has been 60% - 75% of the normal. In view of the summer season and the emerging water scarcity we would like to bring to your attention that you should already take measures now that will minimize as far as possible the looming problems of managing water resources in our region. For these reasons, we would like to recommend the following measures:

1. Do not neglect to repair leaks in your plumbing (taps, cisterns, float tanks pipes). -
2. Inform the whole family where the internal stopcock is located, in case of leakage or flooding.
3. Do not leave the tap running when you wash, shave, brush your teeth or wash the dishes.
4: Do not open the tap fully. Consume only the amount of water you need.
5. Use the shower rather than the bathtub.
6. Run a washing machine or dish washer only when it is full and set it to the most economical program.
7. Select household appliances (such as washing machines and dishwashers) with certification for lowest water consumption. These appliances consume a third less water than the others.
8. Replace old double-flow flushing cisterns or adjust the float.
9. Wash your car with bucket and sponge and avoid using a hosepipe.
10. Mop the outside of your home (courtyards, terraces, balconies, pavements) and do not use a hosepipe to clean them.
11. Water your plants and garden with a watering-can early in the morning or in the evening, as these hours require less water as there is less evaporation.
12. In the summer months, do not hose patios, terraces, balconies and pavements to create a cooler atmosphere.
13. When you leave for a vacation or you are away for a long time from your home, do not forget to turn off the water supply.
14. Do not let children waste the water by playing with the taps.

The need for action is enforced by the current Joint Ministerial Decision (JMC) 135275/22-05-2017, which establishes systematic rules in the management and costing of water. As will be understood, the use of the water supply should now be adapted to the requirements of the applicable JMC.

To ensure uninterrupted water supply of your property, please arrange payment of all outstanding arrears as of 02.28.2018 including any previous arrears outstanding. Otherwise, we will find ourselves in the unpleasant position of having to interrupt your water supply.

Warwick

scooby

Re: Water Shortage

Postby scooby » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:16 pm

I suppose the dam could be fixed for a start if not already. Little old ladies could stop washing down the whole street every day and the water companies could do more to fix their leaks and invest more.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:06 am

No actual ban on hosepipes then?

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 am

I am not sure, Andrew. There are plenty of instructions in the letter to not use hosepipes and the letter does refer to a ministerial decision but I don't know if it is an outright ban enforceable by legal sanctions or not.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:07 am

scooby wrote:I suppose the dam could be fixed for a start if not already. Little old ladies could stop washing down the whole street every day and the water companies could do more to fix their leaks and invest more.
I think the main problem with the reservoir is that it leaks a lot of water from the bottom. Also the surrounding terrain would be described in the UK as "the wrong sort". When I went up to the dam in Spring vast swathes of the hillsides above the dam had been hosed with concrete, allegedly to encourage surface run-off into the basin. There's not much can be done about the "too porous" bottom.

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:00 pm

What's the legal position re people filling and keeping their wretched swimming pools topped up with mains water supply?

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:42 pm

TweetTweet wrote:What's the legal position re people filling and keeping their wretched swimming pools topped up with mains water supply?

Ask all the hotels because they will all be doing it, got to top up pools no matter what.

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:09 pm

scooby wrote:
TweetTweet wrote:What's the legal position re people filling and keeping their wretched swimming pools topped up with mains water supply?

Ask all the hotels because they will all be doing it, got to top up pools no matter what.

Yes, hotels will operate to their own particular *understanding* of (everything - sewage disposal etc) BUT I was asking about PRIVATE filling and maintaining the (chlorinated) water level of swimming pools.

I live a bit east of Rethymonon and outside my nearest village boundary - I just have agricultural water (no problem for me). Recently (at relatively short distance from me) an illegally constructed cement factory decided to dip in to their also illegally sunk water source, and then dig up a HUGE distance of road down to the sea, in order to service the water needs of a hotel. Said hotel was a concrete ruin for many years, bought very cheap from X bank, re-constructed, and now fully booked with people via the Russian company who took over X years responsibility. Illegally built cement factory is owned by local *POWER* family (a euphemism!). In terms of much less available drinking water, AT least two large villages who rely will suffer from this (illegal) action

I lived in Malta in the late 1960's/early 1970's - an island with no water - if a person wanted to fill a swimming pool then even then it had to be via a paid for bowser. Then Dom MIntoff came to power and (rightly in my view) filling sweimming pools with *fresh* water* became a big bit taxable CRIME.

SO back to my original question, does anyone know what the legal situation is for really stupid expats (from anywhere) who somehow believe it is *OK* to fill their swimming pools with drinking water???

mouche

Postby mouche » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:16 pm

TweetTweet wrote:
scooby wrote:

SO back to my original question, does anyone know what the legal situation is for really stupid expats (from anywhere) who somehow believe it is *OK* to fill their swimming pools with drinking water???

Am I to understand that filling the pool with drinkingwater for which I'm paying is illegal? Same for watering tha garden?

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:46 pm

TweetTweet wrote:
scooby wrote:

Yes, hotels will operate to their own particular *understanding* of (everything - sewage disposal etc) BUT I was asking about PRIVATE filling and maintaining the (chlorinated) water level of swimming pools.

I live a bit east of Rethymonon and outside my nearest village boundary - I just have agricultural water (no problem for me). Recently (at relatively short distance from me) an illegally constructed cement factory decided to dip in to their also illegally sunk water source, and then dig up a HUGE distance of road down to the sea, in order to service the water needs of a hotel. Said hotel was a concrete ruin for many years, bought very cheap from X bank, re-constructed, and now fully booked with people via the Russian company who took over X years responsibility. Illegally built cement factory is owned by local *POWER* family (a euphemism!). In terms of much less available drinking water, AT least two large villages who rely will suffer from this (illegal) action

I lived in Malta in the late 1960's/early 1970's - an island with no water - if a person wanted to fill a swimming pool then even then it had to be via a paid for bowser. Then Dom MIntoff came to power and (rightly in my view) filling sweimming pools with *fresh* water* became a big bit taxable CRIME.

In your original question you didn't mention really stupid ex pats, I suppose Greeks don't have pools?? I am an ex pat and I fill mine from agricultural water except odd times if there is none I use drinking water, the amount to top up is not much at all and no it is not illegal, that's a bit like a really stupid ex pat question :wink:

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:01 pm

In your original question you didn't mention really stupid ex pats, I suppose Greeks don't have pools??

Of course Greek people also have pools - this is an expat forum really though isn't it?

I should have said *stupid people*,

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:17 pm

From a practical point of view a bowser would work for filling a pool from scratch, when you need a large quantity of water all at once, but it doesn't really work for topping up the pool, when you need a small amount of water on a regular basis, unless you have a really massive storage tank.

More importantly, where does the bowser fill up? Most likely from the same source as you get your domestic water? You may pay more for a bowser than on your metered supply but that excess goes to the owner of the bowser not to the water company. If it takes X cum to fill the pool and Y cum per week to keep it topped up those quantities are coming from the same aquifer whether you get it through your tap or via a bowser. There is no magic supply for bowser owners?

Warwick

paul g

Postby paul g » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 am

Love your abbreviation for cubic metres.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 am

Kilkis wrote:....... There is no magic supply for bowser owners?.......Warwick

Exactly. Just another rip-off for people who don't stop to think.

Andrew

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:39 am

Am I to understand that filling the pool with drinkingwater for which I'm paying is illegal? Same for watering the garden?

According to a mid aged Greek friend with connections to the water company, first fill of the pool should be by tanker. Top up via house water is accepted. Watering a garden is accepted.

Obviously it is much cheaper to take the drinking water e.g. 6 euro versus maybe 80 euro. What I don’t *get* is WHY (for the sake of the relatively small amount of money involved) anyone believes it is ok to use an essential resource in this way? I don’t get *that collective morality*.

In the Kalyves area, tanker water is taken from the Kyliaris river,

Return to “General Discussion & News”