bigblu - formerly Europasat, formerly Tooway

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Peter W

bigblu - formerly Europasat, formerly Tooway

Postby Peter W » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:35 pm

I recommend that anyone considering installing a bigblu satellite internet system take a look at the bigblu facebook page before investing. The dreadful experience of many posters mirrors my own recent experience. Ironically this decline in customer service level has coincided with the much hyped re-branding from Europasat to bigblu.

Peter

Jeffstclair

Re: bigblu - formerly Europasat, formerly Tooway

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:33 am

Oh ..I use Tooway via freedomsat Europe and we don't seem to have had any problems ..we use a company called Bentley Walker . in the UK ..However now you can get Tooway in Greece from higher up the food chain these days from http://www.tooway.gr/ this did not exist 12years ago ...worth looking at ..

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Thanks for that Jeff.

The supply chain for Tooway satellite service is hard to follow, my kit is branded Tooway, I bought it from Hitek Sound and Vision who are located near Chania and according to their website are the "official agents in Greece for the supply and installation of the high speed 22Mb Ka Band Tooway Satellite Internet System," Hitek installed the kit and set up the supply. Subsequent invoices for monthly data usage came from a company called Satellite Solutions Worldwide Ltd, based in Bicester UK, their invoices also carried the Europasat logo. I received an email in June this year telling me that Europasat was to be re-branded bigblu.

Freedomsat Europe seems to be an alternative method of accessing internet services via the Ka Band Tooway Satellite Internet System, however the Tooway website directs enquirers to their official distributors.

Satellite is an expensive way of achieving internet access but in some areas there is no other alternative. Hitek Sound and Vision were extremely efficient in providing and installing the Tooway equipment and the subsequent service in terms of speed and reliability has been fine but following the bigblu rebranding access to the Customer Portal has been severely restricted and in my case I have had no access to my data usage graph for around 6 weeks. This as one poster on the bigblu facebook page put it, is rather like driving a car without a fuel gauge - you only know the tank is dry when the car stops. It doesn't help that bigblu fail to respond to any requests for information or a resolution to this problem and it seems from reading the posts on bigblu's own facebook page that many others are in the same situation.

Peter

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:48 am

Yes Peter it there are many links in the food chain from the user to the company that owns the satellite ...we for about 4 months had a link in Spain who went bankrupt ....our service went down at the end of the month and I would phone him and complain and magically it would come back twenty minutes later ...thankfully the people he subcontracted from took over his commitments and it has been good since then ..We keep track of our usage with ....www.toowayhome.com ..you need a site ID to access the data . Hitek should be able to give you that ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 am

I think most of the companies providing satellite broadband across Europe, like Tooway, are buying time wholesale on Eutelsat owned satellites and then selling that onto retail customers. It's rather like the smaller mobile operators like Tesco Mobile and Virgin buying access to the major operator's networks, like O2 and EE, and then selling it on to users.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:43 pm

We bought Tooway from Bentley Walker a few years ago. Really can't fault anything about the support or the system.

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 am

The ever-helpful Hitek Sound & Vision have provided me with a link to a Skylogic branded site where I am able to see my current data usage, bigblu still resolutely ignore all requests for help.

Peter

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Yes, HiTek have also helped me out and (unrelated) Bigblu sent an email last week informing me that they are going to be upgrading our service.
Someday is now : )

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:Yes, HiTek have also helped me out and (unrelated) Bigblu sent an email last week informing me that they are going to be upgrading our service.

As a matter of interest, are you able to access your data usage from the bigblu customer portal?

Peter

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:29 am

No I can't but Hitek have given me access to my usage info via Skylogic until, as they say, Bigblu have sorted out their teething issues. None of my emails to Bigblu have been answered to date.
Someday is now : )

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:32 pm

Is it possible to leave bigblu and deal with freedom sat or Tooway or Tooway.gr?.its worth a phone call ...you have the kit and it's working...

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Bigblu was formerly known Satellite Solutions Worldwide and have been growing quickly, partly through organic growth but mainly by acquiring smaller satellite internet providers and integrating them into the growing bigblu. They're the largest UK / EU provider and have a growing foothold in Scandinavia, southern Africa and Australia. I suspect the present problems are caused by integrating their most recent takeovers. They're a publicly quoted UK company on AIM. Their target for their last financial year was to increase their subscriber numbers by 100,000, a target they exceeded. Their ultimate aim is to become the world's largest independent supplier.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Yes ,but do they own any satellites .. as Warwick says they are buying or renting bandwidth from the owners of the satellites ? It seems there are as many many layers of companies in satellite broadband as there are in earth based broadband and telecommunication ,each of them subcontracting of each other and trying to control or lease more and more bandwidth ..Eutelsat seems to be the company that owns the satellites and the earth stations and I think is the parent company of tooway..so if I was setting up my system from scratch I would start with tooway .gr...

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:58 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:Yes ,but do they own any satellites .. as Warwick says they are buying or renting bandwidth from the owners of the satellites ?

This from Wikipedia: "BBB purchases broadband capacity from a variety of satellite companies, sells or rents to the end user the necessary hardware to access the internet (and installs the necessary equipment, if requested) and then provides an ongoing satellite broadband service on the terms of an airtime tariff selected by the customer." They're currently making such deals currently at a rate of one every couple of months and the bigger they get the better their bargaining power in such deals.

You can also find out much more on the company website. Also, if you Google "bigblu broadband" there are several other links.

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:54 pm

filippos wrote:
Jeffstclair wrote:Yes ,but do they own any satellites .. as Warwick says they are buying or renting bandwidth from the owners of the satellites ?

This from Wikipedia: "BBB purchases broadband capacity from a variety of satellite companies, sells or rents to the end user the necessary hardware to access the internet (and installs the necessary equipment, if requested) and then provides an ongoing satellite broadband service on the terms of an airtime tariff selected by the customer." They're currently making such deals currently at a rate of one every couple of months and the bigger they get the better their bargaining power in such deals.

You can also find out much more on the company website. Also, if you Google "bigblu broadband" there are several other links.

Or to put it more simply they are a sales operation, they don't own the means of communication, the satellites, they don't manufacture dishes or modems, that's the Tooway role and they certainly don't handle installation - that's what businesses like Hitek do. Under their previous name they offered a poor level of customer service, since the rebrand to bigblu they don't even bother to respond to customer service requests but they do continue to do what they do best - sell satellite internet. Their contempt for their customers tells me all I need to know about the company.

I would dearly love to switch supplier as Jeff suggests but exploring this possibility it seems that my modem would need to be unlocked by my current provider bigblu who don't currently respond to any requests so this would mean buying a new modem - which I will probably have to do.

As Yin&Yang mention, bigblu are currently promising a free upgrade to greater monthly download, in my case this would mean a 50% increase in my monthly download, this suggests to me that bigblu are desparately trying to prevent their customer leeching to other providers.

Peter

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”