How to become a greek resident

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
chrissyg

How to become a greek resident

Postby chrissyg » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:25 pm

What are the rules to becoming a greek resident? I have a house in uk and now one in crete where we may want to retire or maybe just spend sone of the time in both. Also I understand you have to be a greek resident to buy a car here which we might want to do.

Kilkis

Re: How to become a greek resident

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:09 pm

Try reading this.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:27 am

Why am i surprised its complicated? So basically i must live in my greek house for 3 months in order to apply and have health insurance and an income. That will get me the certificate and then i can buy a car if i want to. It will all change no doubt next year. So how do they know how long i am dtaying here each visit? They dont stamp passports these days.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:08 am

If you think that is complicated you are not going to get on very well with Greek bureaucracy. I don't think you have to live in the house for 3 months before applying. Just tell them that you will be staying for over 3 months and you want to get the residence certificate now rather than wait because you want to buy a car. I certainly know people who have got a residence certificate and bought a car when they have simply been coming for a few weeks on holiday.

The rules are Europe wide through a Directive. They are not unreasonable. They are designed to ensure that you do not become a burden on the state, i.e. have you got somewhere to live, have you got money to support yourself and have you got cover if you encounter a health problem.

I believe that it is possible to purchase a car without a Residence Certificate by completing a ΥΠΕΥΘΥΝΗ ΔΗΛΩΣΗ which is a legal declaration. I have never done it so I have no idea what the wording would be but if you buy a car from a main dealer or a used car dealer I am sure they can help you.

Warwick

PS The same procedure in the UK requires you to fill in a form that is 85 pages long.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks, yeah, that makes sense. If we were to stay for 3 months we would certainly need a car during that time and not after. I was just thinking about that. Believe me i am well used to all the paperwork with all the EOT which took ages to even find someone who would help us. Accountant said the builders would help, buliders said lawyer, lawyer said engineer etc etc. Even the EOT office werent very helpful. Anyway, we will cross that bridge when we need to. Thanks.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:50 am

chrissyg, let me assure you that you do NOT need a residency certificate to buy a car here. We have had a car for over five years and have never been resident in Greece for tax purposes nor had a residence card, whether beige, blue or any other colour. The only conditions we had to meet were these: An address in Crete; a "representative" in Greece (our accountant); a Greek tax number (AFM); valid passports and driving licences; and signatures on a declaration that we would never be in Crete for more than two consecutive months at any one time. This last condition seemed a bit strange to me, but I didn't question it as it suits our pattern of visits perfectly well. I think it is the declaration that Warwick refers to, above. Clearly if you want to remain for three months minimum you might have a problem with that bit, but the point I make is that you could buy a car now without the need to have a residence card. How and whether this will change after Brexit is, of course, another matter!

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Ah, thats very interesting and all i had read was that you needed to be a resident to buy a car. To be honest, the less than 2 month option would be more appropriate at the moment so that is really good to know. Weird rulr but will suit us better.Brilliant, thanks!

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Mixos wrote:...the point I make is that you could buy a car now without the need to have a residence card...
not necessarily; it could depend on the dealer. When we bought our first car here the dealer insisted we must have a residence permit so we started the process. (We had time as we had an extended delivery date for special colour). We got the permit then fell out with the dealer when the car reached Athens and cancelled the order. Our lawyer recommended another dealer for the same manufacturer. When we produced the Residence Permits that dealer just said, "Not needed". We picked up the car three days later, paying cash on delivery.

Based on that experience, when we were choosing a new car a couple of years ago we asked every dealer we visited what papers we would need and about a third included the Residence permit and the rest never mentioned it.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Mixos wrote:...signatures on a declaration that we would never be in Crete for more than two consecutive months at any one time. This last condition seemed a bit strange to me, ...

I think that the person who filled out the declaration for you put 2 months because if you are going to be here 3 months or more then you are legally required to have a residence certificate. Normally you are expected to have a residence certificate to own a car. It is one of the things asked for when you register change of ownership. Effectively they are saying, "Can I change ownership of this car without presenting a residence certificate because it is not relevant for me to have a residence certificate." It would be a bit odd applying to own a car without having a residence certificate if you were legally obliged to have a residence certificate, i.e. if you lived here for more than 3 months. I suppose you could put "never longer than 90 days" but that might lead to questioning while 2 months is clear cut.

Some accountants also put 2 months residency on tax returns of clients to avoid them becoming tax resident even though the person is living here full time. The government doesn't keep records of when people come and go on EU passports. If they decided to audit you they would simply get your record of electricity consumption from ΔΕΗ. It's not perfect but there would be a big difference between the consumption pattern of someone living here full time and someone only here for two months.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:49 pm

The electric would look fine if we rent it in the middle of summer and stay ourselves for 2 months either side though. That might be what we will do.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Apropos the comments by filippos and Warwick, yes I suppose it might depend on an individual seller or dealership whether or not you are asked for a residence card when buying a car. I should have added, chrissyg, that we bought ours from a main dealership and the salesman was initially somewhat concerned when we told him we had no residence cards. What about an ID card? he asked. Well we don't have them in the UK so here's a passport and driving licence! Not wanting to lose a sale he made a couple of phone calls and we were assured that everything would be OK under the procedure I mentioned earlier.

We also had help and advice from our accountant, and the person who filled out the two-month declaration for us was head of the office that deals with car registrations in Sitiea .. who just happened to be "eavesdropping" in the accountant's office at the time! So we were fortunate that everything came together quite easily.

I don't know which vehicle registration district you live in, chrissyg, but if I were doing it all again now for the first time I would certainly get the best advice from my accountant and, as filippos wisely points out, check with any dealership precisely what paperwork they require -- then buy a car from one that does not ask for a residence permit. And the point that Warwick makes about electricity bills is also well made, as proof of how long and when you are in Crete. That's why I have kept every DEH bill I've ever had, just in case.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Ok, now youre making it sound slightly illegal now, or certainly not the norm anyway, and ive found out that even doing things by the rules is long-windedand difficult! I live in Apokoronus or Chania district?. I think maybe until we can get a residence permit it might be easier to find a good rental deal for our slightly longer stays.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Mixos wrote:...I suppose it might depend on an individual seller or dealership whether or not you are asked for a residence card when buying a car...

I think it is probably a simple matter of whether they know how to get round the usual requirement of having a residence certificate. Some people know and some don't. Many years ago I was asked by a lawyer if I knew how one of her clients, who only had a holiday home in Crete and only visited for short periods, could buy a car without a residence permit*. At the time I didn't but more importantly the lawyer, who was very good at her job, didn't either.

Personally I would simply take the easy way out and get the residence certificate. It isn't difficult. An EHIC will pass for medical insurance, you own a property and I presume you have a Greek bank account with some transactions going through it. It might also benefit you later when you do decide to live in Crete for longer periods if you already have a residence certificate.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Agreed, yes i do have all those things, the only thing was the 3 month stay which was putting me off spplying as we cant stay that long at the moment. Does the EHIC cost anything or is it just like our E111 card?

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Or is it the same thing but i need one with my greek address on it?

Return to “General Discussion & News”