How to become a greek resident

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Joan

Re: How to become a greek resident

Postby Joan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:27 pm

We took:

House deeds
Electricity bill (not asked for in the event)
Passport
Photos (we took eight and they kept all of them)
AMKA details
AFM number
(Expired EHIC) card
A sheet with all relevant details of UK state pension including NI number (which they copied).

Note this is slightly different from Warwick's list as we were dealing with a UK pensioner, with the intention of getting an IKA book.

Definitely we were told there would be a fortnight's wait for the permit to arrive - the precise date (also a Wednesday) was given for collection.

But - does our friend have to collect it? (I do want to avoid having to phone Vryses police station to ask this...)

Joan

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Oooops. I forgot to mention AFM. Obviously if you have item 11, Greek tax statement it would be on there but if not make sure you have it with you.

Most of the things on my list will never be asked for but if you have them with you it doesn't do any harm and you can never predict what requirement a particular officer will dream up. When I got my first residence permit, under the old rules, the officer demanded our marriage licence, an official translation of the marriage licence and an ΥΠΕΥΘΥΝΗ ΔΗΛΩΣΗ signed by me certifying that we were still married and that I was supporting my wife. I was working in Greece at the time and I also had to get two certificates from the government section where employers register employees to prove that I was working legally. There again he was the officer in that station responsible for issuing permits and he had to fax Athens to ask what he needed to do. Go figure. As Filippos said you can never totally predict what they will require. I remember somebody on a different forum many years ago reporting that they had walked into a police station in Agios Nikolaos with their passport and two photos and walked out with the permit.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:21 pm

I was going to ask what an AFM was, i presume i get this from my accountant who has done the tax return?

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Oops also Warwick, just read through your last post. We arent married but own the house in joint names, might THAT be a problem, or was that just a long time ago and no longer applies?

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Tax number, its ok. Yes i have that!

Jason64

Postby Jason64 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:42 pm

We went to get ours a week ago (Thursday), must say we went with someone who knows the ropes, a Greek. We took, copy of deeds of the house, copy of a recent bank statement, which was a screen shot from our online banking, a phone bill, passports, AFM, 4 photos each, private healthcare documents, tried showing just our private health cards, but they wanted to see actual policy, filled out a form, bobs ya uncle blah blah blah, ring Thursday next week, yesterday, we rang today, went and collected today, sorted, very easy and straight forward, perhaps going with a Greek helped!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:01 pm

If they won't accept an EHIC as healthcover, Stavros, who is an insurance agent who often gives good advice on this forum, can provide a basic health insurance that satisfies residency requirements at low cost.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Ok thanks, but i thought everyone has said the EHIC was sufficient. Im sure its reasonable and i can totally understand the greeks wanting this especially as we are leaving the EU in march, but i am hoping to do without extra hassle and cost if possible.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Connect the dots Chrissy
Kilkis wrote:...As Filippos said you can never totally predict what they will require...
Jason64 wrote:...tried showing just our private health cards, but they wanted to see actual policy,...

Kilkis wrote:If they won't accept an EHIC as healthcover...

Try EHIC. If it doesn't work THEN go the Stavros route.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Yes of course, good to know , but then if it is expensive, and ive never known insurance not to be, esp at our age, them the whole thing might not be worth it yet anyway, until retirement. And we will just cross fingers re brexit anyway :D

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Got our permit very easily and took about 10 minutes and a week to then collect. Dont know if it will help with anything but glad to get it.

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:23 pm

Not Crete here, but the lady in Leonidio police station was dazzlingly efficient and knew exactly why we wanted to upgrade our yellow residence books to blue :shock:

We took mountains of stuff, just in case, but she wanted :

Bank account details
IKA books
Passports
Our old yellow residence booklets
3 recent photos, roughly passport size
Some details on a form for each of us

Our documents were photcopied and returned and they will phone in about 10 days when the new books are ready.

Xander

Postby Xander » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:33 pm

3 Month ago I took the following to the Vrysses Police station:

Passport
4 Photos
EHIC
Deed of the house
Tax return
DEH bill

Photocopies of the above (which they kept).

There were no questions asked. I was told to collect on Wednesday 2 weeks later.
2 Weeks later, after paying 50 cents for a stamp, I got my Residence.

BST

Postby BST » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:42 pm

At Vrysses we were only asked for photos, EHIC, tax numbers, deeds to land, beige card. No tax return or bills. Very quick and efficient!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:56 pm

when I got my full long term permit a few years ago ,I had to produce a health insurance policy ...I can't get an EHIC card 'cos I don't have a UK address...I think it depends who is doing the paperwork ...the first permit I got in 2001 they told me I did'nt need one because" we are all European now" .

Return to “General Discussion & News”