Dog Poisoning

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Dog Poisoning

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:57 pm

I am told that there has been a lot of dog poisoning at Chrysi Akti beach to the west of Chania. If you are in the habit of walking your dog down there be very careful or go elsewhere.

Warwick

hairybloke

Re: Dog Poisoning

Postby hairybloke » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks, Warwick.

Maud

Postby Maud » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:24 pm

I am showing my age now......as I am about to be nostalgic.

We remember Chrysi Akit beach in the early 1980’s. The only thing to sit on was your towel, and the only shade was from your own beach umbrella. All the Greeks would come out of Chania on a weekend, and the beach was full of locals with their own dogs. I used to think every dog was called Ella........until my Greek improved!

There wasn’t a big hotel in sight in those days. We don’t go back there any more, as we prefer quieter places. No dog walking there for us!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:15 pm

It's a good beach for swimming, especially at the western end. The headland between Agios Apostoli and Chrysi Akti seems to provide some protection from the wind. The long straight stretch to the west through Gerani and Maleme is prone to rip tides under some conditions and I have never seen anything like that at Chrysi Akti. The narrow cove at Agios Apostoli is also good for swimming but it tends to act as a trap for rubbish if there has been any wind.

I can't remember if it was the late 80s or the early 90s when I stayed there. There were hotels along the road down to the big car park by then, mostly catering for Scandianvian tour companies. I stayed in a small apartment block on the road that runs diagonally towards the beach from the start of the car park. I think it was the first time I have been able to reach out from the balcony and pick a fresh lemon to put in a* gin and tonic. There used to be a pretty rough café built on stilts over the sea at the western end of the beach.

Despite the increase in numbers it is still one of my favourite beaches in the area.

Warwick

* I wouldn't treat the word "a" too literally.

Maud

Postby Maud » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:49 pm

I remember the rough cafe Warwick. There also used to be an old caravan parked behind the beach towards the eastern end which sold toasted sandwiches.

For some years our children were friendly with a group of local young Greeks. They all used to play volleyball on the beach every afternoon. One of them lived in the center of Hania, but his parents had a house at Chrisi Akiti as well. It had pomegranates growing in the garden. It was the first time our two youngsters had ever seen a pomegranate tree!

As I said previously, there were no big hotels there in those days. The Scandinavians had just found the area though, and the hotels were built soon after. One thing has not changed though......Agios Apostoli used to get the rubbish washed up there, even then.

Return to “General Discussion & News”