Buying a car

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
RIFF

Buying a car

Postby RIFF » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:30 am

Hi good people

A friend has asked me what documentation he will need in order to buy a car on Crete. He isn't a resident yet-ie no residence permit-but is looking to buy a vehicle next year (early) He has an AFM no., but that's all.

Any info gratefully received! Thanks all!

Tim

Re: Buying a car

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:53 am

He will almost certainly need a Temporary Residence Permit (beige). He doesn't need to be resident to obtain one, just go to his local issuing police station with his passport, bank book, EHIC, AFM number and passport photos as a bare minimum along with any other documents he can think of. (I'd take house deeds/rental agreement). Requirements vary at different police stations. I'm told it's possible to buy a car without a permit but I've bought two and had to produce it both times.

Hope this helps

Tim

RIFF

Postby RIFF » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks Tim-I've passed on that information.

BST

Postby BST » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:33 pm

There are ways around it as some holiday makers buy cars even though they only visit a couple of times a year and for short periods. I think there is a document you take to the KEP office along with your passport. Supercars in Chania could advise on this and maybe his accountant. To have a temporary resident permit you are supposed to have been in the country for 3 months which doesn't apply to some holidaymakers

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Although this thread is about getting a residence certificate it contains lots of information on buying a car, including how to do it without a residence certificate.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:25 pm

BST makes a fair point. BUT, if possession of a Residence Permit turns out to be a prerequisite for obtaining a post-Brexit registration certificate, RIFF's friend might be left high and dry if he doesn't have one and they're not issuing them anymore. My advice (for what it's worth) is if you own a property and can get a permit, get one. Doesn't cost, and if it transpires you don't need it, no harm done.

Tim

RIFF

Postby RIFF » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:52 am

Hi guys

Just wanted to thank all of you for your informative replies. Cheers!

Return to “General Discussion & News”