Polecats

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Daisy

Polecats

Postby Daisy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:29 am

Does anyone know of anything that will deter Polecats. A pair have moved in and are causing chaos in the garden. Our neutered male cat is turning up each morning with yet more battle scars and I am getting madder and madder!
Daisy

TweetTweet

Re: Polecats

Postby TweetTweet » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Is polecat the same as Zourida?

If you have overgrown areas e.g. vatos then that gives them save haven - cutting back *hidy-holes* is one option - a doggie would be a deterrent...but of course your older feline might not like that.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:27 am

Looking up pics of 'zourida" we definately have one at our place and it poos on our patio! I thought it was a weasel. Is that the greek word for it?

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:13 am

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:31 am

Sorry last link no worky try this onehttp://animalia.bio/beech-marten

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Kamisiana wrote:Pine or beech marten see here.................
Sent you a PM.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:30 pm

It might be worth trying a Ultrasonic pest deterrent ....Ebay and Amazon have 'em, it seems you can get solar powered ones for out door use ... A bit of research needed to find one that will deter Polecats, Stoats, Pine Martins , Weasels, or Zooreather... edit .I just looked them up and learnt anew word Mustelidae.... is't wikipedia wonderful

Daisy

Postby Daisy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Gosh. Thank-you all for lots of good ideas. The ultrasonic deterrent I do like the sound of! I just don't know if my three cats will. Strangely though, the last two nights have been free of them. I don't know if they have moved away altogether or not. I think I will give it a little more time to see what happens.
Daisy

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:51 pm

We have kounavia (beech martens) round here. Not really a problem except that they're known to get under cars and chew the wiring. It seems some manufacturers (Japan? Korea?) use oil of a vegetable origin in the manufacture of the plastic coating for the wires. A few people I know stick a few mothballs under the car to deter the animals :)

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:57 pm

I believe Honda and Toyota are both facing class actions over the use of soy in the coating of electric cables, which is said to attract mice (and possibly martens?) Coincidentally I spent this morning cleaning all manner of stuff off the engine block and around the plugs of our Hyundai, after it smelled as if we were driving a mobile chip shop. On opening the bonnet we found small slivers of bone, feathers, a small fish backbone and various seeds, which had been 'cached' on the engine! It absolutely reeked. The car is used almost every day so it must have happened very quickly. There was also some evidence of cables being chewed.

I had heard that there is a make of insulating tape impregnated with something that repels rodents, but none of the hardware shops I visited in town had heard of it. (You can get it in the UK apparently.) I am reluctant to put mothballs in the engine bay, as they are highly flammable (or they were, when I were a lad, as we used to set fire to them :lol: ) so my better half came up with an idea that, I hope, will work. After re-wrapping the cables with ordinary electrical insulating tape, we rubbed chilli juice over them. Hopefully the mice/martens will find chilli too strong for their liking. On the other hand, they just might like curry, in which case I'm in trouble. So Daisy, you could try leaving some extra hot chillies around your garden -- a Dorset Naga would do the trick if you can get it!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm sure you can buy an ultrasonic gizmo tuned to the pest you want to be rid of ...so okay for dogs, birds and cats bad for weasels , snakes , rats , and scorpions ...

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:55 am

Mixos wrote:I believe Honda and Toyota are both facing class actions over the use of soy in the coating of electric cables, which is said to attract mice (and possibly martens?) Coincidentally I spent this morning cleaning all manner of stuff off the engine block and around the plugs of our Hyundai, after it smelled as if we were driving a mobile chip shop. On opening the bonnet we found small slivers of bone, feathers, a small fish backbone and various seeds, which had been 'cached' on the engine! It absolutely reeked. The car is used almost every day so it must have happened very quickly. There was also some evidence of cables being chewed.

I had heard that there is a make of insulating tape impregnated with something that repels rodents, but none of the hardware shops I visited in town had heard of it. (You can get it in the UK apparently.) I am reluctant to put mothballs in the engine bay, as they are highly flammable (or they were, when I were a lad, as we used to set fire to them :lol: ) so my better half came up with an idea that, I hope, will work. After re-wrapping the cables with ordinary electrical insulating tape, we rubbed chilli juice over them. Hopefully the mice/martens will find chilli too strong for their liking. On the other hand, they just might like curry, in which case I'm in trouble. So Daisy, you could try leaving some extra hot chillies around your garden -- a Dorset Naga would do the trick if you can get it!
To repel rodents from your engine compartment, buy some plastic moth ball smellies, and tie 3 or 4 of them around the engine, works a treat (told this by a mechanic here), there is a smell coming into the car for a day but after that it's OK, repeat every 2 or 3 months. You find them in AB supermarket, makers name Cobra, they have naphthalene in them.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 am

Mothballs are called "nafthaleenee" in Greek. General hardware shops often stock them. If you can't get them in perforated plastic containers, make your own out of plastic tubular containers. They seem to work. My Honda wiring hasn't been chewed since I suspended tubes of mothballs around the engine.

(I haven't had any elephants in the garden, either, since I started throwing balls of newspaper out of the window each morning. Seems very effective!)

You can also buy an engine compartment spray to deter "Zourida". Ask at any repair garage as to who stocks the spray locally. I don't think this will work around the garden, however. An air rifle is the most effective, if you have good aim. Just don't shoot a cat by mistake!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:41 pm

SatCure wrote: An air rifle is the most effective, if you have good aim. Just don't shoot a cat by mistake!

But if you get the cat, make sure it isn't the one from next door!!!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Place some bricks around with piles of pepper on each brick. The creature will sniff the pepper, directly up its nose, this will cause it to sneeze very hard, in so doing it will smash its head on the brick which kills it outright.

Return to “General Discussion & News”