Transfer of vehicle

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
scooby

Transfer of vehicle

Postby scooby » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:02 pm

Does anyone know of the process for transferring a car into someone else's name? I believe we must go to the bank to pay a fee? I know where the office is for transferring the papers, it's just what would the buyer and seller take to the office?
Thanks in advance.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kamisiana

Re: Transfer of vehicle

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:37 pm

When i sold my bike last year the KEP office did everything exept the transfer tax,and that the new keeper pays for you need log book passports res permits Ect for both parties and fee you can not pay fee in all banks i used Pan Krete bank for bike and car they give paper to say you have paid fee that you can take back to KEP or to office on Souda/Xania road for vehicle transfers
Kep is the easiest way but not all KEP are helpfull best to use the buyers nearest KEP, Kalives KEP were very helpfull
Platanias KEP could not give a toss hope that helps.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:45 pm

From what I can remember the seller only needs the log book and passport. A residence permit wouldn't hurt. The buyer needs passport, residence permit, driving licence, tax number and an e-paravola from the bank proving that the fee has been paid. The bank will need to see the log book to decide what fee to charge, since it is based on engine size.

I can't guarantee the above. The last time I gave away a car and bought another KEP did everything for me. I just went to the bank to pay the transfer fee for the one I was buying. When I bought the motorbike I went to the vehicle centre with the original Greek owner and he did all the talking. I just handed over whatever they asked for. In theory if you are going to do it at the vehicle centre you don't need the e-paravola. They have a machine there that allows you to make the payments but it is often not working so I would recommend getting the e-paravola from a bank anyway. There isn't a bank close to the vehicle centre if the machine isn't working.

KEP at Vamvakapoulo are helpful as is the one on the road near the vehicle centre, i.e. on the right hand side of the V formed by the two roads that join the Souda road at traffic lights not far from the IKA building with a SYN.KA in the middle. I agree that the one at Platanias, actually under the townhall at Gerani, is useless. Whatever you ask they can't do it.

As far as I am aware you can pay the e-paravola at any bank. Many years ago, before the e-paravola existed but there was an equivalent multi-part form system, you could only make this type of payment at the National Bank of Greece but that has not been the case for a long time.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Yes thanks Warwick I forgot about the tax number everyone i have talked to about the vehicle center machine say it has not worked but its worth a try, also scooby if the car log book is in two names you need two lots of ID likewise for the new buyers
good luck at least its a day out.

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Kamisiana wrote:Yes thanks Warwick I forgot about the tax number everyone i have talked to about the vehicle center machine say it has not worked but its worth a try, also scooby if the car log book is in two names you need two lots of ID likewise for the new buyers
good luck at least its a day out.
Thanks, car in the wife's name so she can deal with the sh*t hee hee, mustn't gloat (don't snitch on me Friday night Warwick!).

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:49 pm

I think it's logical that it's only the buyer that would need to produce residence permit.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:14 pm

scooby wrote:...Thanks, car in the wife's name so she can deal with the sh*t hee hee, mustn't gloat (don't snitch on me Friday night Warwick!).

As if I would, Alan. I just hope whoever she has to deal with doesn't start messing about asking for lots of extra stuff. I think Vesuvius is getting close to another major eruption.

scooby wrote:I think it's logical that it's only the buyer that would need to produce residence permit.

In your recent experience how much of Greek bureaucracy is logical?

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Kilkis wrote:
scooby wrote:...Thanks, car in the wife's name so she can deal with the sh*t hee hee, mustn't gloat (don't snitch on me Friday night Warwick!).

As if I would, Alan. I just hope whoever she has to deal with doesn't start messing about asking for lots of extra stuff. I think Vesuvius is getting close to another major eruption.

Warwick
yeah it could get ugly.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:28 pm

A quick after thought. Even if you don't get KEP to do it for you they might print out the necessary paperwork and confirm exactly what you need to take. If you are going into Chania in the next few days you drive right past the one at Vamvakopoulo.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”