CAR TYRES

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Yorgo

CAR TYRES

Postby Yorgo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 am

Hello again, I am asking this for a friend who is not an internet fan. He lives in the Agios Nikolaos area. I visit Crete twice a year in the Bali area, 3 times if I can make it. My question is about Car Tyres. My friend was told by the MOT station his tyres will have to be changed because of THE DATE on them. In UK (sorry about this phrase) in the UK, we look at the tread but here in Greece/Crete, it seems the date on the tyre is the marker for changing tyres by law, regardless of the tread depth. Is this true? if your tyres pass the year/date, not sure if it is 3 years or four, from the date on the tyre when purchased. His tyres say 2013 on the tyre. The MOT station said they are out of date? The tread is very good? Thanks for any help.

evansmr1

Re: CAR TYRES

Postby evansmr1 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 am

The test station is correct. Due to the intensity of the sun, the side walls of the tyre become damaged by being softer and there are more liable to receive a puncture. Punctures to the side wall of a tyre are far more dangerous, in terms of safety, than the area around the tread of the tyre. A side wall puncture can cause the tyre to explode and possible "flip" the car. The tyres should be changed at least once every 4 years.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:03 am

Yes, if they say 2013 they will definitely have to be changed, even if the tread is good, as evansmr1 explains. I had a new set this year, after five years with the old ones, and the garage said I should have changed them earlier -- even though the car passed the "MoT" without the tester spotting it!

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:23 am

You can find the date of manufacture look for the DOT number on tyre sidewall the last four numbers in brackets IE

(1916) = the 19th week of 2016.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:33 am

evansmr1 wrote:The test station is correct. Due to the intensity of the sun, the side walls of the tyre become damaged by being softer and there are more liable to receive a puncture...

It seems odd to make it a fixed date rule? I do very low mileage now. My car spends most of its life under a pergola where all four wheels are in total shade at all times. The tyres get exposure to direct sunlight for perhaps a couple of hours per week. My current tyres were fitted in July 2013 so they are certainly past the 4 year rule. They have just done 10,000 km so are only now due their front to back rotation. The tread is deep and the side walls are in perfect condition. My previous car was parked outside at all times and certainly did suffer from fine cracks on the side walls so it is a genuine problem and I know what the symptoms look like but surely they should be replaced on the basis of what happens not what might happen? My next KTEO test is due in 2019 so I will see if it passes and only replace them if they insist.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:48 am

Hands up all those that have gone out to see how old their tyres are :)

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:11 pm

LOL.... Thanks very much for all the replies. Another positive result from using livingincrete. Thanks again.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:25 am

Just re-read this thread and it occurs to me that should a car with out of date tyres be involved in an accident, this might void the car insurance policy?

Also, it is worth advising those who are having tyres replaced, to check the date on the new tyres as with hindsight and the knowledge gained from this thread, we realise that several years ago we were sold tyres which were already a year or so old ...
Someday is now : )

Return to “General Discussion & News”