Update from HMG

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
scooby

Re: Update from HMG

Postby scooby » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:20 pm

I don't understand what the British Ambassador to Greece is going to inform people of? It's all in the outline of the paper and what isn't is still being negotiated. Save your petrol.

Good piece here from Vernon Coleman (only a short version) from when the UK joined the Common market (of course it has morphed into heading into a federal state now). http://www.vernoncoleman.com/howthebritishmedia.htm

Was there a campaign for another vote in that referendum by the "no" voters? Here is what the Prime minister said at the time of the referendum to stay with the EU (or EEC whatever you wish to call it). The referendum result was not legally binding; however, it was widely accepted that the vote would be the final say on the matter and would be politically binding on all future Westminster Parliaments. In a 1975 pamphlet Prime Minister Harold Wilson said: "I ask you to use your vote. For it is your vote that will now decide. The Government will accept your verdict."[2] The pamphlet also said: "Now the time has come for you to decide. The Government will accept your decision - whichever way it goes."

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:37 pm

scooby wrote:I don't understand what the British Ambassador to Greece is going to inform people of?...

Well, for example, whether the withdrawal agreement goes through or there is a no deal, there will be a new arrangement regarding permits/visas for UK citizens living long term in each member state. The details of that arrangement are not specified in either the December protocol or the draft withdrawal agreement, only the general principles, and the details may well be different in each member state. Personally I have sent an advance question asking the ambassador if the embassy has had any discussion with the relevant Greek authorities as to what the process will be in Greece in either scenario, do they know now what the process will be, if not do they know when they will be informed and how they will disseminate the information to UK ex-pats when they do have the information. For those leaving Greece before 29 March 2019 it is of no real interest and they can indeed save their petrol. For those intending to stay beyond it is of interest. Whether I will get a useful reply I have no idea but I consider it a valid enquiry. Others may not.

As an example the Directive that currently defines the conditions under which people may stay in a member state long term allows member states to establish a registration system but does not compel them to do so. Each member state can choose to not have a registration system, to have a voluntary system or to have a compulsory system. The Directive specifies what conditions should be imposed but says nothing about how in detail the system will work. As far as I can tell the same is true of the arrangements that will exist after Brexit whether it is through a deal or through a no-deal. Cyprus has published how its system will work in the event of the withdrawal agreement being implemented but nothing about what happens in the event of a no-deal. As far as I know Greece has published nothing.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:54 pm

Kilkis wrote:
scooby wrote:I don't understand what the British Ambassador to Greece is going to inform people of?...

Well, for example, whether the withdrawal agreement goes through or there is a no deal, there will be a new arrangement regarding permits/visas for UK citizens living long term in each member state. The details of that arrangement are not specified in either the December protocol or the draft withdrawal agreement, only the general principles, and the details may well be different in each member state. Personally I have sent an advance question asking the ambassador if the embassy has had any discussion with the relevant Greek authorities as to what the process will be in Greece in either scenario, do they know now what the process will be, if not do they know when they will be informed and how they will disseminate the information to UK ex-pats when they do have the information. For those leaving Greece before 29 March 2019 it is of no real interest and they can indeed save their petrol. For those intending to stay beyond it is of interest. Whether I will get a useful reply I have no idea but I consider it a valid enquiry. Others may not.

As an example the Directive that currently defines the conditions under which people may stay in a member state long term allows member states to establish a registration system but does not compel them to do so. Each member state can choose to not have a registration system, to have a voluntary system or to have a compulsory system. The Directive specifies what conditions should be imposed but says nothing about how in detail the system will work. As far as I can tell the same is true of the arrangements that will exist after Brexit whether it is through a deal or through a no-deal. Cyprus has published how its system will work in the event of the withdrawal agreement being implemented but nothing about what happens in the event of a no-deal. As far as I know Greece has published nothing.

Warwick
I wouldn't hold your breath. The water is a bit muddy and will stay like that for a while I should imagine. It's quite obvious people staying after March 2019 should obtain residency, as for reciprocal rights that looks like it is already a done deal hopefully.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:39 pm

New update from HMG on Living in Greece including Residency (I couldn't actually see much difference from previous advice) and Travelling with pets.

Tim

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-greece?utm_source=a7ac76a8-813f-40de-ac48-d741a90a8ec6&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

BST

Postby BST » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:15 pm

If you want to go to Vrysses meeting, you need to register with eventbrite and get a ticket! I was sent an email about this. Not sure how else this info will be passed on.

scooby

Postby scooby » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:24 pm

BST wrote:If you want to go to Vrysses meeting, you need to register with eventbrite and get a ticket! I was sent an email about this. Not sure how else this info will be passed on.
Ha ha ha you couldn't make it up!

BST

Postby BST » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Yes I was a bit surprised. The town hall has pretty limited space so I guess it's a way of controlling numbers and security. The ticket is barcoded.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:24 pm

They are also doing a similar event in Rethymnon later the same day. Links to both events here.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:18 pm

I received a further email from the Embassy this morning. The UK Government web page on "Information and events for UK Nationals living in Greece" now has links to the registration pages.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:18 pm

I am told that it is NOT necessary to register for Vrysses. Won't be going, anyway. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:03 am

Not necessary to register for the Ag Nik session either. But you do need ID.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:44 am

YoMo2 wrote:Not necessary to register for the Ag Nik session either. But you do need ID.

Andrew

Shouldn't be a problem. You are legally required to carry ID with you at all times in Greece.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:36 am

Did the meetings get called off yesterday because of the weather?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:40 am

The Vrysses meeting went ahead. I attended and will post some thoughts on the discussion in a separate thread later today. Driving there and back was pretty bad as it was for the last meeting in Chania. Perhaps the Greek gods are demonstrating their displeasure with the UK government for voting to leave the EU?

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:54 am

Kilkis wrote:The Vrysses meeting went ahead. I attended and will post some thoughts on the discussion in a separate thread later today. Driving there and back was pretty bad as it was for the last meeting in Chania. Perhaps the Greek gods are demonstrating their displeasure with the UK government for voting to leave the EU?

Warwick

More like the Greek gods being jealous that we are trying to leave.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”