Update from HMG

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
YoMo2

Re: Update from HMG

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Kilkis wrote:
YoMo2 wrote:Not necessary to register for the Ag Nik session either. But you do need ID.

Andrew

Shouldn't be a problem. You are legally required to carry ID with you at all times in Greece.

Warwick

Ho, ho, ho. Tell that to some of my chums. I'm so bored of sob stories from people who've been knocked back at a Greek government office of some type because they didn't have their passport with them.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:13 pm

You might mention to them that some of the police they see stopping cars at the side of the road are not the normal police stopping people for traffic offences but are border police. They operate around the country as well as at the border. If they get stopped by one of them and don't have their ID they might get arrested and dumped in the local jail until someone produces the passport for them. I got stopped by the border police once and didn't have my passport with me but fortunately I was with some Greek work colleagues who did have ID and could vouch for me. I got off with a pretty stiff warning.

As an aside in Greece it is an offence to drive without your driving licence. It is not like the UK, where you can produce it within a specified period and everything is OK. You still have to produce it within a specified period here but not having it while driving is the offence so you still get fined.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:23 pm

Men in suits will always make you pay.

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”