An update from Care in Crete
Perhaps you know someone or have a neighbour who lives alone here in Crete? They may have come here with their spouse who has since passed away, or simply chosen to move here alone…
Perhaps you yourself live alone here in Crete?
Although Care in Crete is still in its infancy we are learning fast!
We know that the last thing you want to think about is being ill or incapacitated but when you are living alone in Crete it is better to have made some “just in case” arrangements and be well prepared.
We have put together some advice for you on how to do this:
SHOULD YOU BE ADMITTED TO HOSPITAL:
- You will need to provide your:
• IKA health book
• AMKA number
• Passport number
• Residence permit
So make sure that these are all easily found should someone else need to get them for you. If you have private health insurance put these details in the same place.
- Put the name and contact details of your local doctor.
- If possible give a friend living close by or a neighbour a spare key to your house. If you are admitted to hospital urgently, someone needs to be able to go in and collect your essentials.
- It is possible that your care will involve payments even in the hospital (e.g. for night nurse) so make sure that you have nominated someone to take care of the financial side should you be unable to (e.g. friend, neighbour). Make sure that this person’s details are kept with your health book.
- If you take medication try to have an up to date list of what you take and when. Try to keep your medication in one place where it can be easily found.
- Make a list of who should be contacted should you fall ill, with their full details and relationship to you.
These are some basic steps you can easily take to feel more secure in your home.
For even more security, we recommend you consider subscribing to our services. This way we will have all of your information already on file, making your admission to hospital a lot easier.
Please have a look at our website for more information: https://careincrete.com/subscribe/