Property Register declaration

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Mixos

Property Register declaration

Postby Mixos » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:00 pm

I have received an email from our accountant about the Property Declaration (Cadastral Register) that everyone who owns a property in Greece is obliged to complete before March 2019 (or May 2019 for non-residents.) Apparently, in order to comply with the new register we have to produce three things: The contract of sale, the topography and the certificate of transcription. Can anyone explain what this certificate of transcription is? I have the contract and topography, of course, but I don't think I was ever given this certificate. I have two other pieces of stamped paper which I think refer to our AFM numbers, headed (sorry, no Greek typeface) BEBAIOSI METABOLIS .... and EPANEKTYPOSI BEBAIOSIS ... but I don't think either of those is a certificate of transcription. If anyone can shed some light ... ?

Kilkis

Re: Property Register declaration

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:48 pm

When we originally bought our land we got a copy of the contract from the Notary and again, after my wife died, I got another contract transferring her 50 % of the property to me. Both contracts were taken to the land registry in the local town hall and certificates were issued certifying that those contracts had been recorded in the local land registry. As far as I am aware this local land registry is not the Cadastral Register, which is a nationwide register, but I could be wrong. I suspect what you are referring to as the Certificate of Transcription could be the same as these certificates?

Each certificate is headed: ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ ΜΕΤΑΓΡΑΦΗΣ, which Google translates as GREEK REPUBLIC TRANSCRIPTION. The second line is ΥΠΟΘΗΚΟΦΥΛΑΚΕΙΟ followed by the name of the Dimos, which translates as Land Registry of that Dimos. The rest of the document is the reference number on the contract, the name of the notary issuing the contract, the volume number of the registry entry and the entry number in that volume.

As far as I am aware there has been a legal requirement to register all transfer of ownership of property with a local land registry long before the national register came into being. These certificates confirm that you have complied with that law so I suspect that it is this certificate that you now require.

For some time now there has been a gradual requirement to also register property ownership with the national register. So far this has been carried out on an area by area basis. Are you saying that the whole of Greece that are not already on the national register have to do so by March 2019 or just that you area is now required to do so?

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks for responding, Warwick. I'm only going by what my accountant said in his email, which was:

Until, May, all owners who are resident abroad (and March for Greek residents) have to declare their real estate ( plot,land,building ) in the Cadastral Register ( properties register), the responsible company is here in the high school area.
Needed:
1) The contract
2) certificate of transcription
3) Topographic plot/land /house of the site by the engineer
This declaration must be made by the owner himself otherwise you must authorise a third person to do the above process.

I assume this is a nationwide thing and that my local area (Sitia) is feeding information into that. I've just received a second email from the accountant, who says the Certificate of Transcription will say ΠΙΣΤΟΠΟΙΗΤΙΚΟ ΜΕΤΑΓΡΑΦΗΣ at the top, (which Google translates as Transparency Certificate) and as I don't have any document with that heading it seems I was never issued with it. To further complicate matters, the lawyer who handled our property transaction retired some years ago and her office was closed. I'm told all the paperwork is in another office somewhere in Sitia, so searching for that that will be my next task!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Mixos wrote:I've just received a second email from the accountant, who says the Certificate of Transcription will say ΠΙΣΤΟΠΟΙΗΤΙΚΟ ΜΕΤΑΓΡΑΦΗΣ at the top, (which Google translates as Transparency Certificate)

Google also translates it as "TRANSCRIPTION CERTIFICATE". The document I referred to in my earlier post is headed "ΜΕΤΑΓΡΑΦΗΣ". ΜΕΤΑΓΡΑΦΗΣ is the word translating as Transcription. ΠΙΣΤΟΠΟΙΗΤΙΚΟ translates as Certificate but it is obvious that it is a certificate so the version I have may simply have left the word ΠΙΣΤΟΠΟΙΗΤΙΚΟ off. Do you have a document with "ΜΕΤΑΓΡΑΦΗΣ" at top right. It is a very simple single A4 page document with the information taking up only about one third of the page. It has a single sentence "Βεβαιώνεται η πιο κάτω μεταγραφή" which translates as "The following transcript is confirmed" followed by the contract and registry information I mentioned previously. I am pretty sure it is the transcription certificate. It is signed and stamped by Ο Υποθηκοφύλακας which translates as The Registrar. I am pretty sure that the lawyer who acted for me took the contract to the registrar in the town hall, obtained the certificate and gave me both the contract and the certificate together. It may be clipped to your contract?

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:00 pm

You're in good company, Mixos, I haven't got one either. Possibly not a coincidence that we bought our properties from the same estate agent? I'm seeing my accountant next week about the register - If he can shed any light I'll let you know.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:10 am

In case anybody is panicking, I checked with my accountant and this is an area specific requirement not nationwide. For example it is not a requirement in the Chania area at the moment, although it will be at some time in the future. As I posted earlier, registration with the national land registry is still being done on an area by area basis. My accountant verified that he will alert his customers when it does become a requirement in our area.

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for clarifying that, Warwick. Just by way of an update, my accountant has sent me another email showing an example of the certificate. It does indeed have ΠΙΣΤΟΠΟΙΗΤΙΚΟ ΜΕΤΑΓΡΑΦΗΣ as a heading on a single sheet of paper, with four large franked "postage" stamps in the top right corner and the Sitia registrar's stamp at the bottom, with four lines in the middle for date, property location, etc to be entered. It seems to be slightly different from the one you describe, but perhaps they vary from area to area. Although I never received such a document with my contract, my accountant now says we can get a copy from the registry office anyway, so no need for anyone to panic!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Kilkis wrote:In case anybody is panicking, I checked with my accountant and this is an area specific requirement not nationwide. For example it is not a requirement in the Chania area at the moment, although it will be at some time in the future. As I posted earlier, registration with the national land registry is still being done on an area by area basis.

Warwick

Currently the requirement is only for Lassithi province in Crete.

Chania, Heraklion and Rethymon all at a later date.

https://www.mikrometoxos.gr/ktimatologi ... i-pagides/

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Where is the office/building in the Lasithi area one is expected to take the relevant paperwork? Or is it a matter of handing to the accountant?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:33 pm

I think that the main offices is in Agios Nikolaos at Θερίσου 3 phone 28410-22153. There may be other offices but I would enquire there first.

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:06 pm

And if you are closer to Sitia than Ag Nik, Yorgo, the registry office there is on the Piskokefalo Road, about 500m out of Sitia, on the opposite side of the road from the warehouse of Bidakis, the courier company.

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks to you both for your assistance.

altohb

Postby altohb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:39 pm

Just an addition to the information above. If your house was/is a new build then you are also required to produce the building permission.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Sorry, should have mentioned that it is in Lasithi Prefecture and some other places on the mainland,

Details for registering are
ADDRESS OF THE COMPETENT OFFICE OF REGISTRATION: Agios Nikolaos: 5 Kastello Merambelou (former mortgage). Telephone numbers: 28410 90626 and telephone center: 8011010800. E-mail: ktima.agiounikolaou@gmail.com.. Opening hours: Second, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:30 to 16:30 and Wednesday 8:30 to 20:30
Also the website www.ktimatologio.gr. This has an English language option. BUT it does not appear that the information on this site is up to date.

On Monday, I will call in to Europlane in Agios Nikoloas who were involved with the refurbishment plans.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

altohb

Postby altohb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:15 pm

..and, as above - there is an office in Sitia as well! Opposite the high school (and Bidakis courier office) on the Sitia - Piskokefalo road.

Return to “General Discussion & News”