Property Register declaration

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
altohb

Re: Property Register declaration

Postby altohb » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:40 am

YoMo2 wrote:
Roussa wrote:
GlennB wrote:
On consideration, surely the smart move is to forget about actually submitting your declaration until the deadline for Greek residents has passed. (Assuming you are non-resident for tax purposes). The office will then only be dealing with non-residents. By definition, there will be a lot fewer of them, and you have an extra three months to submit.

Just a thought.

Andrew

Makes sense in theory, but it might be as well to be sure that tax residence is the criterion used for when you should submit your papers. Our accountant informed non residents about this before us, but on the grounds that non residents would have to arrange flights etc to come and do the necessary. Tax residence wasn't mentioned at all.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:07 pm

altohb wrote:
YoMo2 wrote:
On consideration, surely the smart move is to forget about actually submitting your declaration until the deadline for Greek residents has passed. (Assuming you are non-resident for tax purposes). The office will then only be dealing with non-residents. By definition, there will be a lot fewer of them, and you have an extra three months to submit.

Just a thought.

Andrew

Makes sense in theory, but it might be as well to be sure that tax residence is the criterion used for when you should submit your papers. Our accountant informed non residents about this before us, but on the grounds that non residents would have to arrange flights etc to come and do the necessary. Tax residence wasn't mentioned at all.

As I mentioned, in another thread I think, the guidance notes do not specify what resident and non-resident mean. So, I have no idea where one would get a definitive answer on that. My point was that if you are non tax resident, it would be asking for trouble to tick the box on the property declaration to say you are resident. Just on the basis that you might get asked awkward questions by the Greek tax people at some later stage.

Andrew

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:54 pm

Got ours done today , I say done ..we still have to go back with the forms from the bank to say we have paid, and then when the local property register office in Sitia floats our paperwork (they say two months) ...interesting charging system ...to enter one property ( say a house) on the register is 35euro ...if there is joint ownership its 35 euros each owner ....an additional plot of land is also 35 euros two owners 70 euros ...and so on .but you only pay for 3 entries ... so the maximum you can get charged is 105 euros each owner ..We have a rag-tag mix of a strema of olive trees here some grapes there ,a veg plot, some more trees here ..and I thought we were gonna get charged twice to register each half strema plot ...but no...105 euros each..

Return to “General Discussion & News”