Windows 10 Sleep Problem

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Windows 10 Sleep Problem

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Is anybody else experiencing problems with Windows 10 Version 1803 and Sleep mode.

I usually put my PC into Sleep mode when I walk away from it. In case I forget it is set up to automatically go into Sleep mode after 10 minutes of no activity. Very recently it has started shutting down rather that going into Sleep mode under both conditions. Instead of awaking with a mouse click I have to press the power button on the case. When it boots up from Sleep mode it usually goes straight to the sign-in screen but now it goes through the full boot process. I suppose it may be going into hibernate mode but I am not sure how that would behave. I think this has happened since a Windows 10 Quality Update on 7 December.

Any bright ideas gladly received.

Warwick

Tim

Re: Windows 10 Sleep Problem

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:33 pm

Can't help with any advice, but mine does exactly the same - sometimes it wakes by tapping the mouse, and sometimes I need to press the power button. It always goes to the sign-in screen and from thence to whatever windows I had open. I haven't had the new laptop long, but it didn't start doing this until fairly recently,(early November?) presumably after one of the regular updates.

Also, if I leave it in sleep mode overnight, I have to remember to press f6 to mute it, as it will randomly give a burst of whatever radio station I was listening to when I put it to sleep. It only lasts for about 10 seconds but is very loud and very disconcerting in the early hours of the morning.

Tim

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:14 am

Ahh, Windows 10......

My moan is that since September, my desktop PC will not power off. I tell it to shut down from the Start menu, it goes through the full shutdown process but then instantly reboots just before what would have been the final switch off. I have to watch it reach that point then hit the kill switch at the back. Very boring. Can't find anything online that gives me a solution.

Andrew

peebee

Postby peebee » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:35 pm

YoMo2 wrote:Ahh, Windows 10......

My moan is that since September, my desktop PC will not power off. I tell it to shut down from the Start menu, it goes through the full shutdown process but then instantly reboots just before what would have been the final switch off. I have to watch it reach that point then hit the kill switch at the back. Very boring. Can't find anything online that gives me a solution.

Andrew

Had that a couple of months ago, couldn't find a solution on internet. Suddenly stopped after a week or two, thought it must have been an update.
Strangely, wifey's PC has just started doing it a couple of days ago, as she has automatic updates selected, I would have thought that it shouldn't have happened, unless updates to PCs are not applied on an identical timeline basis.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:39 pm

This morning my desktop PC reverted to normal, going into and waking from sleep mode correctly several times. This evening it has gone back to shutting down mode.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:25 am

Kilkis wrote:This morning my desktop PC reverted to normal, going into and waking from sleep mode correctly several times. This evening it has gone back to shutting down mode.

Warwick
I would go back to whoever built it and give them a damn good thrashing :wink:
Men in suits will always make you pay.

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:48 am

Kilkis wrote:This morning my desktop PC reverted to normal, going into and waking from sleep mode correctly several times. This evening it has gone back to shutting down mode.

Warwick

Both our PCs had an update last night - wifey's now shuts down with no re-start.

Alf

Postby Alf » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:46 am

Not sure if this will help but it may be worth a try

https://appuals.com/fix-windows-10-shut ... -of-sleep/

Alf

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Clearing cookies in the browser cache seems to have solved this although when it wakes up sometimes it's still connected to the wi-fi and sometimes not.

Tim

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”