Block on renewal of IKA books due to BREXIT

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Block on renewal of IKA books due to BREXIT

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:10 pm

altohb wrote:... had to sign the declaration, which showed that we live here, and have no other insurance...

Interesting. The declaration I and my friends signed, in Greek, didn't mention that we lived here, simply that we didn't have other insurance and would inform them if we did. I did try to point out that it wasn't true, because we have National Insurance in the UK and effectively that is who is paying them but they said we had to sign it so we did.

altohb wrote:.. the first copy I was given was in Greek; I filled it in, but the clerk decided that I needed an English one after all, so did it again.

Also interesting. I was always told that legal declarations on that form had to be in Greek in accordance with Greek law Ν. 1599/1986.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:19 pm

We did ours last month at IKA, Xania. Filled out and signed the declaration; the clerk, meanwhile, entered our Passport details into the system and waved away the proffered tax return. Σας ευχαριστούμε πάρα πολύ. Καλή μέρα. Job done.

altohb

Postby altohb » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Kilkis wrote:
altohb wrote:... had to sign the declaration, which showed that we live here, and have no other insurance...

Interesting. The declaration I and my friends signed, in Greek, didn't mention that we lived here, simply that we didn't have other insurance and would inform them if we did. I did try to point out that it wasn't true, because we have National Insurance in the UK and effectively that is who is paying them but they said we had to sign it so we did.

altohb wrote:.. the first copy I was given was in Greek; I filled it in, but the clerk decided that I needed an English one after all, so did it again.

Also interesting. I was always told that legal declarations on that form had to be in Greek in accordance with Greek law Ν. 1599/1986.

Warwick

I was amazed that they had produced a form in English, especially as the number of British residents in the Sitia area is relatively small.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Yes it is a bit odd. When I went to the Embassy outreach meeting the mayor of Apokoronas claimed that there were 5,000 UK ex-pats living in the municipality, the biggest single ex-pat community in Greece. Looking round the meeting the vast majority appeared to be as old and decrepit as me so I would think a significant proportion would have IKA through an S1 form. You would imagine, therefore, that if any office would have an English language form it would be the Souda road office that serves that community. I seem to recall that at the last local elections, or possibly the preceding one, some candidates even printed versions of their election leaflet in English.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Today I renewed my IKA book for the first time , it took about the time it takes too soft boil an egg ...all smiles and waves from the folk in the office as I left and "see you next year"....

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 am

Jeffstclair wrote:Today I renewed my IKA book for the first time , it took about the time it takes too soft boil an egg ...all smiles and waves from the folk in the office as I left and "see you next year"....

Did ours on Monday. Simple. Didn't even look at passports or Residence Permits. Only interested in the Tax Return/Clearance.....

Andrew

Return to “General Discussion & News”