UK mobile providers

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Sinkingslowly

UK mobile providers

Postby Sinkingslowly » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Has anyone run foul of UK providers fair usage policy?
My current UK contract is with Three and apparently if you are out of the UK for more than 2 months in any 12 then they can disable roaming.

My contract is close to finishing and I'm wondering about getting a new UK contract (and phone :D ).

My roaming has not been switched off yet but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone and what advise might be out there.

Thanks

Kilkis

Re: UK mobile providers

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:36 pm

I am surprised that they would disable "roaming" BUT they are entitled to disable "free roaming", i.e. they can increase the charges for calls to/from outside the UK, even within the EU, under their fair use policy. All providers can do this, although the details of the policy may vary from provider to provider.

I guess it depends a bit on how much you use it. If your usage to/from the UK is high then they are likely to react. If it is very low then they probably won't. I've had a UK SIM for years but I hardly ever use it when I am in Greece. I receive the odd text, e.g. from a UK bank providing a use-once-code for a financial transaction, and the odd, very short phone call from my son to see if I am available to chat on Skype.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 am

You will, like everyone else also have a "cap" on your bill so they can suspend everything if you hit that.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

BST

Postby BST » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:21 pm

I've had a Virgin Sim since May. If I'm out of Crete for 2 months or more within 4 months then I should be hammered, however no probs. yet touch wood. I don't use the data allowance on it, just UK calls and texts. I never get near my monthly limit. I don't access my Virgin account on it either as you can only do this via Virgin mobile ( nothing else works) So I stay pretty undercover! :D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:17 pm

I also have a PAYG Virgin SIM. I access my Virgin mobile account on my desktop PC, e.g. to top up credit, without any problem. See "Sign in" at top right of https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/?slide-id=1 . Make sure to sign in to "Mobile" not "Media".

Warwick

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:37 pm

Thanks everyone.
I don't expect to use the UK mobile very much but I do want to keep the number.
Hopefully they won't notice me although anything could happen after the dreaded Brexit.

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Sinkingslowly wrote:Thanks everyone.
I don't expect to use the UK mobile very much but I do want to keep the number.
Hopefully they won't notice me although anything could happen after the dreaded Brexit.
dont worry have lived here 12 years and not a bother.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”