The height of stupidity

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
altohb

The height of stupidity

Postby altohb » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:25 pm

After days of repeated calls from Vodafone (Greek version), all of which I have ignored or blocked, having checked the number, I have just received a call from a Uk mobile, which I answered. Rapid Greek and call cut when I asked, in Greek, if the caller spoke English. Caller id; Vodafone again. Another number to block!

Toebs

Re: The height of stupidity

Postby Toebs » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:22 pm

Many years ago, in the UK, when I was new to mobile phones, Vodafone were my telco.

After a little while, I left them, because I was unhappy with their service - mainly customer support, I think it was.

Having issued the request to terminate the contract, Vodafone phoned me - it was a woman, from some sort of customer support department.

She first asked me, in a way which I think was prefunctory - like the opening pitch - why I was leaving.

I explained to her it was because I felt Vodafone treated people like objects.

She then had to go through a pre-set list of three offers, one by one, offering the futher (and larger) offer when the previous offer was declined. It was robotic - "will you stay if we give you x". "No." "Will you stay if we give you x and y?" "No."

This is the most ironic conversation I've had with a telco.

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:41 pm

My Vodafone 'Hotel California' experience.
3 years ago I took out an 18 month contract for mobile internet with Vodafone at their Souda shop.
When the contract expired I moved to Cosmote land line internet/phone and popped in to their Souda branch to say I did not want to renew and would be returning their equipment.
I was told they need a months notice even though my contract was about to come to an end.
They then added a month to my contract and charged me.
I was told by the assistant in Souda branch he needed 20euro in cash to complete paperwork to have my contract 'cancelled' at the end of the 18 months period which was about 2 weeks away.
They assured me my contract would then end. It didn't.
I was then put on a new contract and charged for it despite telling them several times I no longer had any use for their services.
Luckily my payments came off a credit card so I contacted the credit card company, explained Vodafone staff had extorted money from me and had refused to end my contract continuing to take money from my account.
Legal action was then taken and although I did not get my money back Vodafone finally removed me as a customer from their service.
Vodafone...'you can check out any time you like but you can never leave'. Would not touch them with a barge pole.

BST

Postby BST » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:00 pm

Had exactly the same thing with Cosmote. Took 4 months , endless visits to HQ in Chania and 18 Euros even though contract had expired!

paul g

Postby paul g » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:59 am

RE: Vodafone,
You still can't send an SMS/text from a Greek Vodafone mobile to a UK 02 mobile, just saying.

sorry meant O2.
Last edited by paul g on Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:58 am

paul g wrote:RE: Vodafone,
You still can't send an SMS/text from a Greek Vodafone mobile to a UK 02 mobile, just saying.

I thought all UK mobiles started 07? Isn't a number starting 02 a landline number? See, for example, the statement at the top of this page:

Numbers that start with 01 or 02 are typically used for home or business landlines.

Clicking on 071 for example gives the following message:

Standard mobile phone and pager numbers in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man are eleven digits long and begin with '07'.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Isn't O2 a telecoms company?

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Sorry. Not thinking clearly. I read it as a "zero two" number not "O2". My mistake.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Actually you were right, in a way. paul g typed 02 when, correctly, it should be o2!

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:59 pm

If you look at the O2 web site, Tim it is highly variable. They tend to use upper case O - subscript 2, upper case O - normal 2 and lower case o - normal 2 on the same page. The lower case o - normal 2 only seems to be used in their web address, which is pretty normal. Since it is not possible to do subscripts properly on here, Paul's is probably the best way to write it.

Warwick

paul g

Postby paul g » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:38 pm

Other UK mobile operators that piggyback on the O2 network will probably be affected as well.

giffgaff I know is affected
Tesco Mobile
Sky Mobile
Lycamobile
TalkTalk Mobile

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:27 pm

paul g wrote:RE: Vodafone,

sorry meant O2.

I've just done some experiments with Scooby, who is now back in the UK, who used to run a mobile phone business and who has both an O2 and an EE mobile. Text to O2 from a Greek Vodafone handset didn't get through. One to EE from the same Greek Vodafone handset did.

It is worth checking that you have the correct message centre number set on your handset. For Vodafone Greece it is +306942190000. When you send a message it goes to the Vodafone message centre number first. From there Vodafone send it on to the O2 message centre number and from there O2 send it to the O2 handset. On my phone, a Samsung, you find it by tapping on messages, then the 3 little dots at top right, then on settings, then on more settings and then on text messages. The message centre number is at the bottom of the list. It may be different on other makes of phone. It will probably be correct or you wouldn't be able to send texts to any operator.

Either the problem is at the O2 end or a problem between Vodafone Greece and O2. Probably each will blame the other.

One way round the problem, if you and your contacts all have smart phones, is to use WhatsApp. That has a text messaging service that works just like SMS but it does it through the Internet. If you are connecting to the Internet with WiFi, either your own or at a free hotspot, then it is free. Scooby and I were communicating with text through WhatsApp in parallel with sending test texts with SMS so it definitely gets through to an O2 phone through WhatsApp.

Warwick

paul g

Postby paul g » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:07 am

yeah, message centre number route has been gone down all ok, have loads of alternatives, whatsapp on both numbers in my dual sim phone and skype. It's just annoying that Vodafone know of the problem but seem very slow to rectify it (the Greek way).

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”