Aegean bumping to Standby!

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
mouche

Re: Aegean bumping to Standby!

Postby mouche » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:48 pm

On average, across our flights, we will only overbook by one or two per flight and, as a result, it is rare for easyJet to deny boarding because a flight is overbooked.” ... EasyJet paid statutory compensation after they were forced to abandon their trip, but they lost the cost of the hotel, hire car and transfer.Aug 12, 2017

EasyJet added that it was “completely open” about its overbooking procedures. “We sometimes sell more seats on a flight if we know that there is a high likelihood of passengers not turning up. We look at the historical data for each flight to determine the number of no-shows we’ve seen in the past and use this to calculate the number we can expect in the future.

So much for the socalled industrial norm of 10% that some people here still seem to claim is the case.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:46 pm

mouche wrote:...So much for the socalled industrial norm of 10% that some people here still seem to claim is the case.

If you read my posts Mouche, instead of just reacting by trying to find fault with them, you would notice that I amended my original statement:

Kilkis wrote:...It does look like my estimate of 10 % is a bit high. It was based on my personal experience with national carriers some years ago. Given the levels of compensation introduced by Directive EC261, which are in addition to the cost of providing alternative transport, it is possible that the airlines have reduced the level since I did a lot of travelling...

I still think that overbooking is the "norm". That means that the vast majority do it, but not necessarily every single airline. Perhaps the word has a different meaning in Norwegian? There is tons of evidence to support that view. Perhaps you have never experienced it? I have, many times. I also think there is a "typical" figure, because they will all use the same type of cost-benefit analysis to decide what is optimum, but that figure is now less than 10 % because of the impact EC261 has had on the cost side of that analysis. What the exact figure is today I am not sure. I don't have the contacts today that I had when I discovered the 10 % figure. Perhaps around 5 % but that is just a guess, it could be lower or higher.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:29 pm

A "norm" is a norm, is a norm regardless of nationality. Why can't you just for once admit to being wrong when you have been proven wrong?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:43 pm

Norwegian website:-
' Calling for volunteers
It’s not common for us to overbook our flights, but .. '
https://www.norwegian.com/en/travel-inf ... -boarding/

Review of overbooking on Norwegian https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... World.html

I stand by my own comment that it is the normal industry practice and I believe all airlines do it.

I'm sure i could find examples with all the other airlines you quote ' who don't overbook' but this is tedious & pointless mouche.

Return to “Chatter”