Problems with Flash Player?

Got networking / internet / computer/ TV/ Telephone problems in Crete? Ask here.
Kilkis

Problems with Flash Player?

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:08 am

Recently I have experienced problems with Flash Player. For example most, but not all, video clips on the BBC web site refuse to play and display a message that the video couldn't be played and to either enable or install Flash Player in my browser. Flash Player is both installed and enabled in my Browser and works perfectly well playing YouTube clips. Some web pages are slow to load and a message appears saying something like Flash Player is taking a long time and might not be working and asks if I want to continue or stop. It turns out these problems have been caused by a recent Windows Feature update to Version 1809, effectively a new version of Windows.

Some time ago the EU stopped Microsoft bundling certain products with Windows because they ruled it was anti-competitive to other companies who market similar products. One of those products was Windows Media Player. You are free to download and install Windows Media Player yourself but it doesn't happen automatically. As far as I can tell when you install a Windows security update it does not affect any installed products, like Media Player, but when you install a Feature Update it is like installing a new version of Windows so Media Player is lost. For some reason this affects how Flash Player behaves on some web sites.

Every time you install a Features Update you need to also install the Media Feature Pack. As you cans see from the article there are a lot of features that need Media Feature Pack installed to work properly. I suspect the BBC web site is using one of those features, experiencing an error because it doesn't work and misreporting that error as a problem with Flash Player itself. I experienced this problem before with the update to version 1803 but had completely forgotten and so experienced several days of frustration.

Be aware that the Media Feature Pack takes quite a long time to install and does so in fits and starts, i.e. the progress bar seems to sit in one position for a lifetime and then rapidly jump forward. It does this several times so be patient.

Warwick

YoMo2

Re: Problems with Flash Player?

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:46 am

Cheers, Warwick. Useful to know. The new improved Windows update model..........

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:44 am

To be fair I think it is forced on them by the EU and the EU do that to try to encourage competition or at least to stop it being inhibited. I think what Microsoft could do is to include a warning that the Media Feature Pack has been removed as part of the update and perhaps provide a link to where you can reinstall it. I am not sure if that would break EU rules? Perhaps a statement along the lines of:

In order to conform to EU regulations, the update to the New version of Windows does not include the Media Feature Pack. If you wish to use those features you can download it from here and install it for free.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:23 pm

Hear what you say, but why are they not allowed to re-install the Media Pack if you already have it? They must be able to determine that you have it before the update starts.

Who to blame, Microsoft, or faceless bureaucrats? It just seems like yet another unintended consequence of legislation that results in the customer being inconvenienced rather than protected.

Andrew

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:44 pm

I have not had a problem viewing BBC via my WIndows 10 laptop.
I do not ever recall installing Media feature pack.
I do have the latest version of Adobe flash player.
I watch ITV and BBC via a VPN.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:31 pm

It's not watching BBC via a VPN that was the problem, Evansmr1. When you go on the BBC News web site there are often short video clips illustrating that news item, e.g. May's speech to the nation. After installing Version 1809 of Windows 10 some, but not all, of those video clips would not play. Installing Media Feature Pack solved the problem. The BBC News web site reports it as an error with Flash but Flash was working properly. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the BBC News web site is using some other feature, perhaps DRM, and that was not working because Media Feature Pack was missing.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:30 pm

The BBC News web site reports it as an error with Flash but Flash was working properly. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the BBC News web site is using some other feature, perhaps DRM, and that was not working because Media Feature Pack was missing.

I have just connected to the BBC web site and am watching live BBC news Channel. No errors. I have tested using Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Opera. I do have the latest Adobe Flash Player
As far as I am aware I have not installed the Media Feature Pack. I have searched for it on my PC and checked Programs & Features via Control Panel.
Very strange, or perhaps it is well hidden. But as far as I am aware I have never installed it. I install very little on my Laptop and do have some pretty heavy software installed in order to stop illegal access.
I still carry out some work for the Company that I retired from. Technical Support on line. A Bank in Bahrain and a large Mobile phone company in Ghana. Both these two companies insist that I have top security on the Laptop that I use to connect to them via their own Remote Control Software.
This is the site that I connect to
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews
If you know where to search for Media Feature Pack please advise me because I cannot find it.
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:23 pm

No, I mean this web site. When you select an article to read, e.g. this one you find a short video clip, about 3 minutes 10 seconds in this case. It was this type of video clip that wouldn't play for me until I installed Media Feature Pack. I am not using a VPN so whatever problem is being created possibly doesn't occur if you are using a VPN with a UK IP address? It is certainly something the BBC are doing because other video clips, e.g. on YouTube, play fine before installing the Media Feature Pack.

If Media Feature Pack was installed you should be able to see it at Settings > Update & Security > View Update History. Mine shows the 1809 update under "Feature Updates" and under "Quality Updates" it shows an update to Flash Player for 1809, an update to NET Framework for 1809, a security update to Flash Player for 1809 and Feature Pack for Windows. All other quality updates that used to be listed disappeared when the 1809 Feature Update was installed since it is effectively a completely new version of Windows so previous quality updates that were applied to the previous version, 1803, are not relevant.

Also, if you click on Start, scroll down the list of programs to Windows Accessories, expand it and scroll down the list of accessories you should find Windows Media Player. That is part of the Media Feature Pack.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:03 am

Kilkis wrote:......Also, if you click on Start, scroll down the list of programs to Windows Accessories, expand it and scroll down the list of accessories you should find Windows Media Player. That is part of the Media Feature Pack.

I'm on 1803, so it may be different, but Windows Media Player is not in Windows Accessories. It's listed separately on the Start menu.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:50 am

Windows does have a habit of rearranging its menu structure when it does upgrades to new versions just to be helpful. A bit like when supermarkets rearrange all their shelves. It makes everybody that much happier? It always cheers me up to know that it is going to take me twice as long to find what I want especially as I really love shopping.

I can't remember where it was in the menu structure on 1803, because I never use it directly as I prefer VLC. If it is installed it doesn't matter how it is listed. When your computer updates to 1809, Andrew, it might be worth having a look to see if it is still listed anywhere before doing anything. I must admit that I didn't. I hit the problem, installed the Media Feature Pack and the problem went away. It could just be magic? Who knows when it comes to IT?

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:47 am

Now you have alerted me, I will definitely be checking to see what is where after the update, and making sure I re-install the Media Pack or whatever it's called. As you say, so rewarding to have to relearn all the menus every time there is an update.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:40 am

I loathed the ribbons system of controls when Microsoft introduced it into all their Office suite of applications. I still hate it today all those years later. All those pretty icon controls that are completely intuitive if you have a brain that works like a Microsoft wonk. Perhaps they had to scrap the drop down menu system because, after a lifetime of communicating with emoticons, none of their staff could read words constructed with letters? I presume the person who decided where to put each control in the ribbon structure is kept in a dark cellar and given regular ECT.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:23 am

Totally agree. I used the MS Office suite for a long time, when it was much simpler, and became very familiar with all the menus etc. I then switched to OpenOffice as I just couldn't keep paying for MS Office upgrades. That took a while to get used to, but was relatively intuitive.

My sister recently included me in her MS Office subscription, (all perfectly legal), and I've been forced to use that for certain tasks. I just cannot believe how hard it is to find basic commands. It seems like they go out of their way to bury commands many layers deep. I don't normally swear at the PC, but there is a lot of that going on whenever I have to use MS Office.

I guess if you use an app all the time it ain't too bad. But surely the mark of good design is if an infrequent user can easily and quickly accomplish a basic task. Doesn't work for me.

Andrew

Return to “ Computers, TV, Telephone and Internet”